Braid to leader knots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braid to leader knots
    Posted: 14 Dec 2006 at 12:00pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys,

When attaching your braid main line to your leader or trace which knots are you using? The bimminy twist with a a uni at each end?

Are any of you using swivels instead of attaching the braid to your leader or trace directly?.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2006 at 1:30pm
albert wild View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Fishslayer
There are many knots that will do the job, some are stronger than others, some take longer to tie than others. For myself a leader connection knot needs to be easy to tie, strong and have a low finished profile so it casts well. This is not as important when fishing with light line classes as there diameters lend themselves to compact knots. The double uni is a fast reasonably strong knot thats dead easy to tie and works well under reasonable loads. You will find this knot will nearly always fail at the flourocaron side of the uni. Some knots like the Duck knows are great with monofiliment yet dont work with the denser, harder structure of flourocarbon, they simply slip and wont pull up. Flourocarbon is great stuff but it needs to be wet liberally and snugged up gently so as not to over heat and weaken the finished knot. The five tun surgons knot is fast,simple and a very realiable connection if tied properly. I use this knot for most of my soft plastic casting with leader weights up to 30 pounds or so. Above 30 pound leader I would use a slim beauty or an improved albright, once again strong connections that are reasonably easy to tie with a good low proflie. You can connect leaders of up 100lb easily with an  improved albright, once  you get above this sort of diameter we start to use wind on's as things get big and chunky. Grab one of Geoff Wilsons knot books for chrissie, there worth every cent. All of these knots are in there with excellent diagrams to teach you  how to tie them. Hope this helps
Cheers Captain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2006 at 1:45pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks heaps mate, I have the Geoff Wilson book at home already so I will take a look through and find these knots you recommend and learn how to tie them.

Cheers mate Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Happyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2006 at 6:36pm
Happyjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Fishslayer,
try these websites for knots;

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots/index.html

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I was shown to use the Spider Hitch to double the braid and then attach the fluoro using an Albright (the the braid is the loop and the fluoro wraps around it)

The Albright knot has about 4 different forms as far as  have seen:
wrapped in one direction only as shown on the animation website,
wrapped along from the end of the loop and back again.
the bitter end can be threaded back thru the loop in the same direction as it is fed thru at the start (as illustrated ) or
it can go back in the opposite direction.

When i took the fluoro back the same path the braid seemed to break all the time, but laying it bak thru opposite -how Marcus at W S Laurie showed me, was fine. Either that or i was no doubt doin sumfink wrong.

For men. there are 2 mysteries in life - one is fish.