New to sb fishing and got a few questions

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to sb fishing and got a few questions
    Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 8:25am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys,

I am currently looking for an sb setup around $250 - $300, can anyone recommend a decent setup for around this price range. Would prefer something around the 6-8kg mark.

I fish probably 50/50 land based/boat fishing but have never fished with braid from the rocks. Do any of you lot use braid while landbased or should I just stick with mono? I have heard that braid frays if it comes into contact with rocks etc but not sure how true that is?. Would be nice to just have the one setup I can use from both the boat and from the rocks.

If spooled with braid and using mono for your trace do you joing the direct or do you use a swivel?

Cheers,

Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 9:55am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hey fishslayer I use braid off the rocks for SP and its great fun. Ya never know whats coming through the burley trail and pick up all sorts, snapper, trevs, kings, KY.

To join the mono to the braid just tie a short double in the braid and join to the mono via either back to back uni knots or a surgeons knot. No swivel needed. 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 10:13am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishslayer.....

.have a look thru some previous posts as I am sure your question re: setups has been asked before.....but

for a good all rounder check out the Shimano Symetre 2500 + Backbone rod....the reel comes with two spools.....one with braid the other with mono perhaps??

eitherway...get amongst it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 10:14am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Easy, get a 6-10kg Berkley Dropshot rod, an Abu T-Alloy 3500, (or 4500 if you want ot load up with 20lb fireline) loaded with 125yrds 14lb Berkley Fireline. That set is made for use with the BErkley gulp and powerbait soft plastics, and I think is in around that price range.

Yes braid does have not such a great abbrasion resistance, but the trace you should use is Flurocarbon, say 20lb should be heaps, it is enormously abbrasion resistant, it even survives the coral reefs in the tropics sometimes! ( which I reckon is pretty damn impressive, let me tell you!)

A set like that can handle small-med sized snapper no worries, i would not necessarily suggest you target 20lbers with it, but certainly pan sized fish, no worries. Even kings of up to 6-7kgs are not too much for that set up.

Cheers,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 11:02am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Hey fishslayer I use braid off the rocks for SP and its great fun. Ya never know whats coming through the burley trail and pick up all sorts, snapper, trevs, kings, KY.

To join the mono to the braid just tie a short double in the braid and join to the mono via either back to back uni knots or a surgeons knot. No swivel needed. 

Cheers JK!.

Hey what length trace do you use when landbased?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 11:04am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

for a good all rounder check out the Shimano Symetre 2500 + Backbone rod....the reel comes with two spools.....one with braid the other with mono perhaps??

Now thats a good idea right there!  Might head up to Cod's store in Whangaparoa on the weekend and take a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 11:08am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Easy, get a 6-10kg Berkley Dropshot rod, an Abu T-Alloy 3500, (or 4500 if you want ot load up with 20lb fireline) loaded with 125yrds 14lb Berkley Fireline. That set is made for use with the BErkley gulp and powerbait soft plastics, and I think is in around that price range.

Yes braid does have not such a great abbrasion resistance, but the trace you should use is Flurocarbon, say 20lb should be heaps, it is enormously abbrasion resistant, it even survives the coral reefs in the tropics sometimes! ( which I reckon is pretty damn impressive, let me tell you!)

A set like that can handle small-med sized snapper no worries, i would not necessarily suggest you target 20lbers with it, but certainly pan sized fish, no worries. Even kings of up to 6-7kgs are not too much for that set up.

Cheers,
Stu.

Thanks for that info Stu. Yeap I have seen the Berkley Road and abu reel combo on dicount fishing supplies recently.

Looks like a nice wee setup for sure, would like to see one in the flesh though so I will probably head out to a few stores on the weekend and take a look.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 5:04pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

check out wills hunting and fishing  sunnybrae rd has a real nice shimano set up down there catana rod and aernos reel spooled up about that price range
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 5:33pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

look at a shimano combo like a steve starling rod with a sahara reel around $299 with braid. good quality or a abu dropshot with a 3500 t alloy reel  with 10lb fireline.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 11:14pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have just brought myself a Sahara reel, and am using it more for landbased, what rod would you suggest cod for this type of fishing (can get wholesale prices)
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 2:40am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Fishslayer Fishslayer wrote:

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Cheers JK!.

Hey what length trace do you use when landbased?

I use a trace of about 3-4m so more of a leader actually. Longer than most use as when fishing off the rocks you need more abrasion resistance and also i prefer to handle mono rather than braid
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 7:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cod cod wrote:

look at a shimano combo like a steve starling rod with a sahara reel around $299 with braid. good quality or a abu dropshot with a 3500 t alloy reel  with 10lb fireline.

Cheers Cod, do you have a few setups in store at the moment? You open on Sunday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 7:46am
Platinum
Platinum

[/QUOTE] 
I use a trace of about 3-4m so more of a leader actually. Longer than most use as when fishing off the rocks you need more abrasion resistance and also i prefer to handle mono rather than braid
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought you might, light mono can slice ya hands open easy enough let alone trying to handle light braid eh.

What strength braid do you use landbased? 6kg? with 10kg mono leader?

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 8:00am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

look at the new raider rod will be here in two or so weeks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 8:02am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi fishslayer have truckloads of combos are open sundays but i arnt their.are in on saturday or tuesdays to saturdays generally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 8:15am
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Cod, damn I am supposed to be going xmas shopping with the missus on Saturday.... maybe I will try and escape early afternoon and shoot up your way to take a look at what you have in stock.

What the address mate?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 10:33am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

fishslayer i use 4kg off the rocks on a 3-5kg 8ft 2peice ugly stik. the reel is a 2500 shimano symetre. Its a great setup for landbased. Can cast a mile too. Mainly use for catching livebaits but also keeps me interested while the livies are out there doing their thing as I can work them in the burley trail and have fun with whatevers passing through. To be honest at times Ive been a bit undergunned and been absolutely dealt too by decent snaps (picking well over 5kg as landed them up this size on this rig) so I would recommend at least 6kg, maybe even 8kg.

Oh yeah i use either 10kg flurocarbon or if im feeling cheap 25lb maxima ultragreen (leftover from spooling a reel) and both work well.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 10:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Ok I have been reading a lot of the threads relating to setups related to sb fishing and have decided to go with a shimano reel as they seem to be most peoples choice.

Does anyone know what the retail price is of the following models in the 4000 series....

Stella
Twin Power
Sustain
Stradic
Symetre

I am thinking of going for the 4000 series as I will be spooling with 6kg braid and possibly switching to 8kg when landbased.

I have searched the net for prices but not much luck within NZ stores.

Also can someone recommend a rod to suit a 4000 series reel and what price they are retail.

Sorry to be a pain, but your help is much appreciated!. Thumbs%20Up

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Haydock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 12:51pm
C Haydock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 12:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks very much mate!.

Looks like I will go with the twin power I reckon.

Now I just need to find a rod to suit.
Page  123 4>