New to sb fishing and got a few questions

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Happyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 8:01pm
Happyjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Fishslayer et al,

Symetre 4000FI on Tica Powerweave 82GP, Fireline 4kg with 4kg mono backing with 6.5kg fluoro leader, plus 2nd spool with 6kg mono

I was going to put it on a catana 762, but I found the Tica stashed away up forward LOLEmbarrassed. It was fitted with a Tica GH4500. Bought some time ago.
Have put my kept my Sedona 4000RB on the catana, but of course i can always swap them around.
Now I just want to get out fishing asap.

$125 for a Symetre 4000? - is that NZ$ or what? I know campbells? in perth have them at that price, but cost AUS$20+ to get it here.
Good on you if it's NZ$.Thumbs%20Up
For men. there are 2 mysteries in life - one is fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 9:18pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Got my 2500 for about $90 NZ but Im in the UK and  purchased it from the states

Can get good deals if prepared to wait for deliver"!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Happyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 10:09pm
Happyjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Jk,
 actually did a bit of web research and by time currnecy, delivery charges if any, taken in to account there was only $10, maybe $15 in it.
Besides, I had spent last 2 days of battling bureaucrats and their lack of logic and needed a pickme up - Sym 4000 in my hand much better medicine than ordering on internet and waiting.Big%20smile

For men. there are 2 mysteries in life - one is fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 11:03pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

yeah well USD is at a 14 year low vs the GBP right now so makes sense to buy this way for me as earning pounds. Picked up quite a few reels for about 1/2 the price i could in NZ. Got a charter special for about $100NZD niiice!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 11:04pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

oh yeh and took 4 days to arrive from the states, not bad!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 11:52pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got some okumas sent here to sweden from the states for about half price aswell, BUT, that is only because sweden is stupidly expensive with certain things, GST is at 25% here.

Even Abu's are cheaper in NZ than here in Sweden.
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2006 at 5:22am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

You dont have to pay any duty or GST on them when they arrive from the US do ya plow?

I make sure all my stuff is labelled as GIFT so they dont charge any on it
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2006 at 10:50am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just got my Fin-nor Offshore reel from the states, it all up came to around $350NZD inc fr, and they did notcharge me GST, so I think you should be OK really I guess.
Cheers, Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2006 at 8:33am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

How did you manage to get one at that price Fishslayer....any more Wink

The Shimano Squidgy would be perfect for it.

I got it for $125NZ from a mate, his old man owns a sports store so i get most things at a good rate.

I went out yesterday and checked out a few rods....I have ordered the Steve Starling Starlo Stix Squidgy Snapper Spin - 7'6 5-8kg 2pc.

Can't wait to give it heaps over xmas/new years in Port charles!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2006 at 9:18am
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I just got my Fin-nor Offshore reel from the states, it all up came to around $350NZD inc fr, and they did notcharge me GST, so I think you should be OK really I guess.
Cheers, Stu.

I get loads of stuff from overseas & have only been clipped once for duty. The cutoff as I understand it is a declared value over NZ$400

AJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2006 at 5:49pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sure  you don't need another spare Symetre Fishslayer at that price Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2006 at 9:41pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've got a sahara 4000 at $80 waiting for me .. now just to match it with a solid rod, but what to choose.

It will be for Landbased primarily but every so often on a boat so it needs to be durable.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 9:39am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After watching the Berkley SP dvd a couple of times over the weekend, I am going to go and take a look at the Abu-Garcia T-alloys. These reels really dealt to the fish they were catching � Kingies, big snapper, bonito and YF tuna.

One thing I'm curious about is how every one says that Fireline is crap when used on an overhead. Well, these guys were using it on their 8500 overheads. Anyone else using Fireline on an OH reel?
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 12:38pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i use it on one of my overheads it works good.use 20lb on a sl30 daiwa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 2:56pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

After watching the Berkley SP dvd a couple of times over the weekend, I am going to go and take a look at the Abu-Garcia T-alloys. These reels really dealt to the fish they were catching � Kingies, big snapper, bonito and YF tuna.

One thing I'm curious about is how every one says that Fireline is crap when used on an overhead. Well, these guys were using it on their 8500 overheads. Anyone else using Fireline on an OH reel?

I watched that as well & bought a bunch of T-Alloys, some 3500's and a 1500. They seem pretty solid for the money. Haven't been tested with a kingy yet though sadly - might have to wait until Jan. I might even have a T-Alloy 3500 to go for say $110 inc postage ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 3:05pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was looking at the Abu T-Alloy, Penn Captiva(?), Okuma VS40 at lunch time. It's all getting pretty hard to choose from with all the options and even harder to work out which is the better performer with out being able to try them out on a fish. Must say I'm liking the look/feel of the VS40 the most at this stage.

Has anyone used the Shimano Aernos 4000? I don't think that reel has been mentioned in this forum yet(?). It's under $100.

Sounds like a great price for the 3500 Ajst2duk. How much for the 4000?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 3:27pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I haven't got a 4000 - I'm not a dealer, just an over jealous TAS sufferer !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 3:29pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ain't we all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 3:45pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep - the garage is running out of hiding places !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 4:50pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Sure  you don't need another spare Symetre Fishslayer at that price Wink

I could possibly get you one, I will find out later this week and PM you.

Cheers,

Josh
Page  <1234>