New to sb fishing and got a few questions

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Happyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 1:37pm
Happyjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bought Symetre yesterday with 6kg fireline and 6kg mono backing plus 6kg mono on spare spool $220 from Just Fishing - last Sym they had.
For men. there are 2 mysteries in life - one is fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 2:10pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats a pretty sharp price eh, especially with a spare spool!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 5:12pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ordered  my Twinpower 4000FB today should be in my grubby hands early next week (I'm sure H&F will match that price from W S Laurie if I ask real nice Thumbs%20Up).

Now what string to put on it 6kg  ( Fireline or Rapala Wink) on one spool and maybe 8 or 10kg on the other .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 6:42pm
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hmmmmm - oh the choices.   sure you mean kg? not lb?

take the 6lb in fireline, 8/10lb in either.  I prefer the stiffness of the fireline in lighter lines so tip wraps aren't as common.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 7:37pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I Have the 6lb Fireline on a Berkley Dropshot 3-5kg rod.

The Twinpower is for my Starlo Stix 5-8kg (I think thats the rating) so I thought I'd try something different so its a probably the 6kg Rapala (I've never tryed it but there was a time I had never tried the Fireline as well and I love that so why not try new things now and again I reckon) although as the TP4000 has a spare spool it might see some 8lb Fireline in that (breaks near 20lb so it might be a good back up for XOS Snaps I reckon Thumbs%20Up).

The Fireline I remember more in terms of lb's as thats on the box as the rapala is in Kg's so I remember that in that regard....odd I know but thats what I remember Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 7:47pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still giggle at firelines line ratingWacko
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 7:54am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we wound the drag right up on the okuma vs55 with 8lb fireline and when it got to 10kg of drag without the line breaking.....it got me thinking how much so locked up the spool and got the flattie to really pull on the scale. it finally popped around 13kg of straight pull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 8:14am
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Moocha - I think the Starlo (if it's the squidgy snapper jobbie with a blank part to the butt) is a 4 -6kg rod.  I've loaded up my stella with 10lb but  won't wind that drag up as the reel is way to capable of applying enough pressure to snap the rod.

Just be conscious that so is the TP and don't try to put too much hurt on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 8:34am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just checked shes a 5-8kg (its the squiddy siggy bland butt thing ma jig) ....can't wait to get the TP in my hot grubby hands and blood it in Thumbs%20Up

How close does the Rapala break to its stated breaking strain ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 8:50am
Platinum
Platinum

I watched the Berkley Soft Plastics DVD last night and man they are catching some nice fish on the Berkley Drop Shot 6-10kg rod fitted with the Abu T-Alloy 4500 reel. I think I may go for this option as its a fair bit cheaper than the Shimano set up but still does the bizz. I am normally a Shimano man but I think I maight give the Abu a try, seems to be quite an underrated reel the T-Alloy series.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 8:53am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I watched Capt A fishing with Billy Ho on DVD last night using the "rubber jandle baits" on a T-alloy and looked more than up to the challenge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 9:18am
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I reckon I might give the wee Abu a try. Anyone else here using the T-Alloy on a Berkley drop shot rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 10:31am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, yes, I have. See above. :-)
Moocha, where'd you get the DVD from??

Cheers,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 10:44am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Stu,

I am gonna go for the 4500 T-Alloy as suggested with the 6-10kg Drop Shot Rod. Will probably spool it with 6kg firewire and see how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 11:23am
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone using the Berkley Saltwater Dropshot Rod (Model - Barra Magnum Spin 610-XH) its the 8-12kg rod. I think this is the one they were using in the Berkley dvd for the kingies and yellowfin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 12:43pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gidday Stu I got it from K-Mart here in Porirua.

That kina bag was a hoot too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 2:49pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

we wound the drag right up on the okuma vs55 with 8lb fireline and when it got to 10kg of drag without the line breaking.....it got me thinking how much so locked up the spool and got the flattie to really pull on the scale. it finally popped around 13kg of straight pull

fark me thats impressive!

or a bit of a scam by berkley.. one of the two.
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 3:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Is the Shimano Squidgy 6-10kg rod any good? Is it similar to the Catana by chance?

I have got a Shimano Symetre 4000 on its way for $125, now I just have to find a rod..... would the squidgy 6-10kg be a good suit for the symetre?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 3:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Happyjack Happyjack wrote:

bought Symetre yesterday with 6kg fireline and 6kg mono backing plus 6kg mono on spare spool $220 from Just Fishing - last Sym they had.

What size Symetre did you get mate? and what rod did you get with it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 4:22pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How did you manage to get one at that price Fishslayer....any more Wink

The Shimano Squidgy would be perfect for it.
Page  <1234>