What 2 Buy

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 9:37pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

1 x Shimano Symetre 2500
1 x 4-6kg 2 piece Shimano Backbone rod

good middle of the range combo, that will see you right.

I second this. Bloody good lil setup at an affordable price.

I fish the same reel but on a slightly longer rod (8ft 3-5kg ugly stik) as I do most my SP fishing off the rocks and love the setup. Has handled a few small kings and decent snapper up to 5kg so far
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 11:04pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm a Trinny 14 for sale you say Evil Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 7:53am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

could be keen evil!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 8:15am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ditto
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yachts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 8:35am
yachts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Another idea is to utilise a Composite Development rod (Carbon 8-10kg) that I have and don�t use very often with a Diawa Sealine LD50H. It�s a two piece of at least 2 meters.

Thinking of paring it with a new fixed spool like a smaller Diawa Sealine SL20SH that�s great for casting 8-10kg braid. But if I�m correct the guides on the rod are all solid chrome and would need to be changed for ceramic inserts?

Do you guys think it would work????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tuna300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 9:48am
Tuna300 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yachts

Don't know about the composite development blanks. The one I have is stiff. It definitely wasn't a braid rod.

The way to go with an overhead reel and braid is the Cal Star Grafighter 800 XL or L with the Daiwa 20 or the trinidads 12 to 16's and 8 to 15 kg braid. You need the Fuji or ceramic guides. The Cal Stars are very fast in the tip but still have plenty of lifting power. I have two pieced mine so that they are easy to carry and store and I have never had a problem.

Tuna300 aka EVIL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 9:49am
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cod cod wrote:

me and john both have a huge range available a $100 combo will last you 5 minutes.shimano abu and even okuma and daiwa all have good products.i prefer shimano and abu.a good setup with braid will set you back between the $249.95 to $339.95 mark. theirs heaps of **** out their being sold that isnt up too the job.

Cod, You should have been a used car salesman mate. Smile
I have a $100 setup which I have been using frequently for 4-5 years and a part from one replaced eyelit haven't had any problems with it. It is a berkley 6'6 rod with a Daiwa 6kg reel attached. I've caught Kingies to 20 pound and snaps to 13 pound on it, along with many other fish including 6 ft thresher sharks.....

So to say that a $100 setup wont last 5 mins is simply sales talk... yes by all means if you can afford it go and spend hundreds when you don't really have to, to do the same job.....  

Cod, I'm a local and I enjoy going into your shop on a regular basis and now that I know it is you that runs it... next time I'll ask for a bigger discount... Wink 
Don't Moan about it, Just Do it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yachts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 9:57am
yachts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tuna 300

So the gist I�m picking up here is that the rod need to be pretty soft at the tip with some grunt in the but, apposed to the two piece CD rod i have which is pretty stiff all-round

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Voodoo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 10:31am
Voodoo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yachts

I bought the Shimano Stradic and a Squidgy rod this set me back over $400 which by anyones means is a lot of money, however my Father In LAw who is a rich northland Farmer bought a great bargin priced set for $100.00.

We went fishing off Tokorau beach against a nice wash and were casting our soft baits in when a trevally grabbed the Nuclear Chicken i was fishing and burst for the rocks, I locked and loaded and got him back to the boat nice fish of about 6lbs, meanwhile the father in law hooked onto a smaller Trev which he also locked and loaded and got to the boat about 4lbs but this damaged his gear to the point where the reel's drag is now stuffed, he sent me $400.00 last month and I posted his new Stradic and Squidgy away the next day.

It is really up to you and it all depends on how much fishing you do and where you fish but the addage of paying as much as you can afford to buy the best gear you can afford is true.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 11:16am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a soft bait reel in a combo that is around 100 isnt going to last a hell of a long time. you need a decent drag system that will last. even a 35cm snapper can pull a reasonable amount of line, the last thing you want is to hook a decent fish on the light gear and have the the reel **** itself halfway through the fight cause the drag has gone all sticky or even worse locked up.
do it once and do it right.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 11:35am
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yachts yachts wrote:

In the market for a light SP set up, any suggestions don�t wish to beak the bank on the first setup if I like this stile ill upgrade.

Anyone know of some good deals or suggestions to fill me Christy stocking?????Wink

Well... going from your original post yachts.... to me it looked like you were on a tight buget and only wanted a basic light set which would do the trick, if you liked the style you would then up grade....  the advice of buy the best gear you can with what you can afford is good advice.... if you are a keen fisho and always getting out fishing... the best gear you can afford has more of a chance of going the distance on the battle front...

From a poor mans point of view.... you would be surprsied what you can pick up for $100 and what you can catch with it.... Cool 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 11:44am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tom, a $100 set lasting the distance would be the exception not the norm.
Its alot more fun fishing with quality gear too...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 1:35pm
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Boz.... it really depends if you are someone who goes fishing and catches good fish on a regular basis or if you are just a tackle junkie buying all the greatest gear to look at and play with once in a while..... Wink

I started out originally with a handline and had plenty of Fun with that... and over the years, I've pretty much come to the conclusion... it doesn't really matter what rigs you are using, going fishing and catching good fish on a regular basis beats sitting around thinking about it...

I was out with a mate a few weeks back and he had this pretty cool Shimmano Jobie and I was using my Berkley Gorilla stick and Daiwa SL reel loaded with 6kg mono ($100 jobie).... I caught several nice pannies over 5pound and he caught a few around 2 pound... I had more fun that day with my apparently "****e" gear than he did with his $600 gold embossed set....  

So Basically My point is..... It's Not the Rod and Tackle you have, but how you use it and what you land with it that counts.... LOL

All said and Done though.... Yes... I Agree... I would go for the best setup that you can afford too. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 2:54pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your $100 set is worth more than 300 fella
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 2:58pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hehehehehe
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 4:19pm
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, well.... maybe when it was Brand new Embarrassed ... I got it off the outlaw who had too many sets for $100 ... like I was saying you would be surprised what you can get for $100 if you spend wisely. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yachts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 4:25pm
yachts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It looks like i'll just rock up to Fish City and see what they recommend re the exsiting CD rod and an new set up fo 200-300 hundy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 4:28pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

your $100 set is worth more than 300 fella

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 4:56pm
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

kezza -   mum been cutting your hair again?  could have sworn you were older than that Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 5:02pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it's growing on me...Big smile

can't be any worse than those EMO cuts ya see around the place these days...bloody youth!
Page  <123>