SP rods..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SP rods..
    Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 10:09pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What is the difference between SP rods and normal light action rods?

Do you guys reckon its essential to have a rod designed for SP's to get good results.. Ive got a few light action jelly tip type rods lying around that I was going to use for trying sp's this summer..

Am I wasting my time with these or should I go and buy a dropshot or similar?

(something tells me the TAS fiends are out there to tell me what I already suspect.... )
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 10:29pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

get a rod made for the job.theirs alot of good sp rods around look at shimano abu and okumas range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 12:07am
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi PTC,

Jelly tip style rods will catch fish on an SP but I personally prefer a rod with high graphite content for sensitivity and a shortish butt handle for easier casting and working the lure. I find that the stiffer graphite will allow me to impart action to the lure efficiently and is also lightweight for casting all day. The jelly-tip style rods are a bit heavier as they have a higher glasss content. I also prefer rods with guides that have round profile ring inserts like the Fuji guides. The cheaper guides have a square-ish profile which I feel hampers casting and causes tangles as the leader knot go over them. Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 1:09am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ah nice one sooshee.. hadn't thought about weight and butt length.

good stuff.    

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 8:16am
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just pin your ears back and buy it Plow !! you know you want to !!
I am using light action abu light action ultra cast rods with my T-alloys (I eneded up buying the rest of his stock of t-alloys) and they certainly do the business with kawahi so far. I can see though that I will need to ship in some dropshot rods, it's only a matter of time, but in the meantime 7' light action seems ok. Bet you just can't wait to get over here ay???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 8:32am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah too right!!

got my two little abu's and I ended up with two of those abu light action 7' rods aswell.. So you reckon they are ok?? I haven't seen them yet, all this stuff is waiting for me when i get over there for XMAS!!

In the same order I also got 2 Fenwick pacificstiks.. one of which is this chappy.. http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=2438 and the other was a similar rod and length but 30 to 50 lb heavy action daddy.. (I thought what the hell if im gonna spend 40 US bucks on postage I must get the economies right and load up!!)

But anyway, one of those abu T3500's will be going on a graphite stick of some kind for sure...

how many of those alloys did you get in the end?

plow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 9:04am
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by PlowTheCow PlowTheCow wrote:

yeah too right!!

how many of those alloys did you get in the end?

plow.

Oh three in the hand and two in the bush (post)
That's just stupidity really, I got a couple of the tiny 1500's as well. They are bloody nice to use, and I have completely dunked one when I fell out of my kayak, all was fine with it when I rinsed it and checked it out. Only gripe is the the little plastic arse on them gets scruffy quickly, but aside from that minor cosmetic weak spot, they are solid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 9:34am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ahh loads of spare parts if ever needed.. mate they looked the business on the GULP dvd..

1500's are tiny alright.. a mackeral would give those things a good run, you'd need a trout rod for those fellas...   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 10:11am
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got one Wink