Which Braid for SP's

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 4:43pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent post there Stu, gosh, you know your stuff!!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 4:50pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's good enough for me Stu. Not many places as tough on the braid as the Solomons I'm guessing. Off to get some more Fireline tomorrow

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 4:54pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

RAPALA TITANIUM
ask for it by name!

No line twist or memory, great visibility in the water, awesome knot strength, abbrasion resistant, supple and user friendly....

I 'spose when you compare apples with apples the similaraties are fairly close as I to have seen the Rapala Braid been taken in to and out of corel bombies,, but the real advantage that this Rapala gear has over Berkley is that it aint Berkely.

Lots have been complaining about the lack of competition in the SP market but for a few companies Berkley have been left alone and good on them for securing the market nice and early, but when a contender steps up to the mark...well...the only way to get more variety is to give it a go....

Matt, Squid and myself have been using the Rapala braid now for about 7months and haven't been let down once...

7.5kg on my Stradic and 6.5kg on my Symetre.....I use the same trace config. on both reels and wont be changing anytime soon...

Stu - next time post a piccie of you wearing all you Berkley garb.....makes your post seem that much more sincere....Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 5:09pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sea-Sharpe Sea-Sharpe wrote:

Hey Kezza, that Maxima line of yours would be pretty thick???

no thicker than your average 10kg mono mate?...I have never had one of my  traces let go whilst attached to a fish and have been reefed 3 times on stuborn snapper....managed to get 2 of them out and the third was in there good an propper...i doubt whether 37kg would have came out either.....

those blue cod must have some dental work for you to be worried about abbrassion on your traces...Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 5:21pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

While on this brands versus brands, what's the smallest breaking strain  that Berkley Whiplash make, 125yd spools? I know I should have a fair idea, but it escapes me at the mo...Embarrassed 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea-Sharpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 7:45pm
Sea-Sharpe View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Originally posted by Sea-Sharpe Sea-Sharpe wrote:

Hey Kezza, that Maxima line of yours would be pretty thick???

those blue cod must have some dental work for you to be worried about abbrassion on your traces...Wink

The Blue cod dont bro but those bloody barracoutta you fullas keep sending us down here certainly do...OuchWink

Send some snapper for F#$KS sake...LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 8:30pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

its getting hot in here...
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jake10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 8:36pm
jake10 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i know buggar all about braid had my first try with fireline at smokehousebay and hate it with avengence ! I do not sit in any particular camp with regards to brands etc, that stuff all goes over my head.My problem with the fireline i had was that it kept breaking at its knots , at first i thought it was just me being a muppet , got mr  Billfish to try tying it along withmany others whom i consider very competent and knowledgable fishoes all with the same result ...... it broke ! , i dont know whether i got a dud batch or what, because as soon as i got home i stripped it off all my reels and swore never to touch the crap again apparently it was the hollow stuff .

Sorry i do not like to slag off any brand but just sharing my experiences with you all .
RTC founding member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luxor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 8:42pm
luxor View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shimma, I won the Mustard Golden hook 1979, 12kg on 2.2kg, also been told it was a Red one. Beat that Kezza,Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 8:44pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

jake10, hi mate, I'd say you had an experience, with a rare crook batch, as I recall reading something like this, awhile back. I think it was the Fireline braid? It breaks mostly at nearly twice what it states on the spool pkt. Rapala, of course can't match thisTongue 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea-Sharpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 8:56pm
Sea-Sharpe View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ON the subject of fireline............

I did find after its been used for a while that it does not overtest as much as it did when 1st new.!! but I'm sure that applys to all brands really..

Using fireline at the moment cos its pretty cheep, on my spinning reels, and my own braid now on the overheads which seems to be going pretty good...

Chuurs all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 8:56pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=luxor]

Shimma, I won the Mustard Golden hook 1979, 12kg on 2.2kg, also been told it was a Red one. Beat that Kezza,Clap

''That's right, along time ago now, but a good effort for sure, you were famous for a day!! Tongue picture in the local paper.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luxor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 9:07pm
luxor View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

7.5kg Stradic, 6.5kg Symetre,the poor old fish has no show,give em a fair go, if in pounds now that would be fair.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 9:08pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If a manufacturer can come up with a light braid that won't have any wind knots, or reduces it substantially, they'll be onto a winner  I reckon Thumbs Up.

Been using fireline for a while now and I would say for SPs it is hard to beat. Jake10, like what Shimma says, I think you must have got a bad batch???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 8:26am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Peter da Squid Peter da Squid wrote:

some good point of views here, keep it going

alot of one eye crap too, hehehe

nice fish Luxor, thats a classy effort! did it come up  sporting porkchop sidies?Evil Smile
Squiddy, he had to run down into the backwash, as it came off the hook and he almost lost it, it was a big fish , 26lb odd....Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 8:40am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I suuport Jake in that both Billfish and I (who cant tie a knot to save himself according to Kezza) tried several times to tie a double that would hold and they all broke off. Buggered if I know as in my fireline and the 8 reels I have spooled with chris wongs brand I have no problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 8:49am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Billfish and I (who cant tie a knot to save himself according to Kezza)"

hahahaha.....It's not that I don't think you can tie knots Koro, it's just I've never been around when it has occured...."oi! you boy! tie a double in this will ya!", "attach a leader to this" etc....Thumbs Up....

Sounds like you, me and Swannie got a seat booked for the Westcoaster next year...yeah yeah!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 8:55am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sounds like you, me and Swannie got a seat booked for the Westcoaster next year...yeah yeah!

Must remember to drop all my reels off to you the day before so you can tie all new doubles then my nigger
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 8:58am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

top idea brutha from anutha motha...the plan should be... we'll do a rigging/drinking/BBQing a cows arse session the night before kick off and you can crash here??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 8:59am
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots have been complaining about the lack of competition in the SP market but for a few companies Berkley have been left alone and good on them for securing the market nice and early, but when a contender steps up to the mark...well...the only way to get more variety is to give it a go....

You have a pretty valid point here Kezza, Im sure Fireline is top stuff and Rapala titanium is "arguably" better in your view, but I reckon there is nothing like trying things out for yourself and making your own opinion. Too many times when people are talking up big names (Ford Holden, Penn Shimano etc) most people dont have enough experience with both to really comment....  and in truth, are probably equally as good as each other.

Berkley really do seem have a vice like grip on the market at the moment and there is no way other brands can prove themselves without people like oursleves "giving them a fair go"

Im gonna use both in future, and trust me, the first one to drop the big moocha is gonna have its name dragged through mud for eternity LOL
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Page  <1234 5>