How was your opening day?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How was your opening day?
    Posted: 01 Oct 2006 at 11:10pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With a need to be back in Hammy for the rugby (Go Mooloo!!) I had 3 1/2 hours on the Mangatutu Stream. River levels are really low following a September with only a quarter of normal rainfall. There were rafts of green algae in places, more than I've ever seen. Could this be linked to nutrient run-off? Saw cattle grazing right on the river bank and in the river, too.

Anyway, the fishing. Decided to fish a dry indicator and cadillac on the dropper. First fish took the dry, the rest, the nymph. Landed 6 and lost onother 2. Fish were all rainbows 1-2 lbs, well conditioned, chunky fish. Saw one brown, about 4 lb that almost swam between my legs and just slowly made its way downstream.

Got home before the rain and a good win for Waikato, so all and all, a satisfying day. Pity about a nightshift to finish off!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waitakidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 8:55am
waitakidan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My opening was interesting. Only fished about 2 hours, but landed 6, mix of 'bows and browns from 1 1/2 to 3 lb, and dropped another 2. My fishing went well, as I only saw these 8 fish, and had them all take.
Didn't really bother fishing blind, as the section of river I was on, the Waitaki,
is now pretty choked up with didymo. Was very depressing. Fish condition was still fine, but I don't see how this will last. In april, there was no sign of it in this braid, now it is full and breaking off in bigs clumps. It was hooking up on my sixe 14 and 16 nymphs, and had to be picked off.
I think it would be great for every fishermen to see what happens with didymo infestations, as there are still a lot of people out there very blase about it. They wouldn't be after seeing this. Truly horrific.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flyangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 9:22am
Flyangler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also fished the Mangatutu for about 4.5 hrs landed 9 rainbows and lost 1. Had a good day all in all. Fish were in good condition, river low and fairly clear.  All fish were caught on nymph. Nymphs were size 10 with 3.8mm tungsten and second fly was a size varied between size 16 and 18. Caught a few on the small fly but most on the bigger one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 9:45am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went up the Goulter River, decided to tramp in from Lake chalice which is the long way the night before. It is a very beautiful river with excellent visibility, but water levels were very low. The trout were very wary.

I joined up with another angler to fish the river all morning, I had a couple of near misses and he managed to land 3 jack trouts, all in poor condition but weighing around 6-7lb. Of the few fish which were still present many of them looked quite large.

Today I might head up the Wairau or maybe the Rai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red_xsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 12:42pm
red_xsi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

did you guys fish the Mangatutu up above lethbridge road bridge or down lower?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flyangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 2:34pm
Flyangler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished below Lethbridge rd bridge quit a way down. FIrst time I have ever fished the water below the bridge. Normaly fish above the lethbridge bridge or above the the bridge on Wherepunga rd
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red_xsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 2:45pm
red_xsi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

did you just wander accross or stop in at a house and ask permission?

I have always fished above the lethbridge road bridge but am keen to get in lower down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flyangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 2:49pm
Flyangler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We had to get permission from the farmer as we accessed the river from another road on the other side of the river ( Puniu side) and got permission to drive down his race to the river.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 3:20pm
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fished a Kawhia stream and got a couple of OK browns. There seemed to be very few fish in the river despite ideal spotting conditions (low and clear). The whitebaiters were out in force downstream. I wonder if the fish move down for the whitebait feast, hence their absence in the middle reaches?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 9:40pm
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fished the Awakino.

River was running reasonably low, water was very clear. After a week of fine weather and Northerly quarter winds was almost warm enough to wet wade, but not quite Smile

Arrived early about 6:30 and pulled a fiesty little 1 1/2 lb rainbow from the first run on about the 5th cast. Good start I thought. By about 9 had 5 fish to the bank and dropped another 3. Biggest just under 3 lb. rest between the 1 1/2 to 2 lb range.

I have a favourite run in this river, that on the right cast gives an awesome drift and usually holds 3 to 4 fish. Just below this is a large pool. I normally give it a miss and head straight up the run. On the pool was about 7 little ducklings and crusing down a bit from them was a nice fish. So I thought I'd try a drift through the pool with a dry and dropper to see if I coud snag the trout as it was picking off the surface. Getting ready to cast and next thing mum and dad duck turn up and all hell breaks loose squalking and carrying on as they do. So I flagged and starting walking up to the run. As I did so the parents would try and get me to follow them by flying low up the run and landing on the water. As I got close they'd fly a bit further up and land again. These ducks are farking up the run I thought so I doubled back towards the ducklings trying to play the parents at there own game they eventually came back and I ducked into the bush and entered the river 100 m or so up the river and thinking I'd out foxed them. I stripped off some line and walked out into the run next thing I know the farkin ducks are squalking and landing right in the honey hole where you'd expect tp pickup a good fish. So here I am standing in the river in the middle of know where swearing my head off at a couple of ducks. The joys of spring fishing. Anyway fished the run for a 1 lber.

Up shot of the day ended up with 8 fish for the day dropped or missed about 8 or 9. Fly of the day was my new favourite nymph a Quazi Modo, Cadillac Phsant tail and phesant tail didn't really to the business, hare and copper produced a couple and I got 3 on the dry fly indicator when I was fishing a hedged bet. Smaller was defintely better with 18 doing most of the business on the nmyph's

Left the river at 4 stoked and knackered.

Fish are in primo knick and fiesty as. Rivers in great shape too ..... was quite interersting to see the changes in a few short months since I was last there and how the fish were in places they weren't last season.

Cheers.

Toby

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 7:14am
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tobias
only Blue ducks to contend with in 10 days!!!
reports are looking good for the w/e
Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 9:06am
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi DD

Yep raring to go and can't wait. Still trying to decide where to fish on the Friday .... but it s a good problem to have.

Catch ya.

T.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 10:37am
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well 2nd year in a row and Tarawera was not kind to us.

We had landed two fish in the first 20minutes. Seemed everyone was getting onto a fish

From then on we didnt see many folks having much luck. Back at the ramp many boats had around 3 fish. So it wasnt good for quite a few others

However for a handful of boats did have a good day.

Mate got 7 before 8am. A boat jigging got a bunch, looked like the most boring way to spend a opening morning, stand there with rod wind up fish. They didnt get much of a scrap from their fish.

We ended up dropping about 6 fish which if we had landed would have been a good tally but it wasnt to be

Later in the day we went for a fly fish up a river. Got into a bunch of big fish - no shortage of fun. Standing up trees catching fish in deep clear pools, all good fun. Went back the following day and had another enjoyable session.

Ended up with plenty of fish in the 5lb mark. Most caught fly fishing and only a few trolling.
Looking ahead to next year I think its a change of tactics -  deep trolling. Our favourite spot will get a rest and we will be fishing my mates spot with him in about 15m.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 5:54am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Toby, know what you mean about those ducks. I use my landing net to grab a heap of the little ones, whole grilled ones are so tasty with a spicy plum sauce!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blairski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2006 at 10:25am
Blairski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haven't had a chance to get out back country, but fished the big T for 3 hours each on the 2nd & 3rd. 3 & 4 fish, not really much doing, quite tame and depressing. Might go down for last trip of the season this weekend...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2006 at 4:33pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Southland was in fine form
On opening I was on a Billabong but after the obligatory 24hrs at home with the wife I managed several days down south chasing trout.
Didymo is about and I implore all to do their darndest to keep it out.
Fish were in good nick and not so many anglers about!!!!????
The little black bugger did the trick and we had a pretty nice rise most afternoons where a parchute adams would keep them biting.
Go Otagoooooo!!!!