Wgtn fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wgtn fish
    Posted: 30 Sep 2006 at 10:24am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went out for a fish this morning with a mate to try out my new soft plastics.

Went to a wharf below Hataitai near Kilbirnie and ended up catching and releasing about 6 Kahawai. They weren't that big though, biggest about 1kg.

I ended up catching them all on nuclear chickens. I started using a 4inch mullet in glow. All I caught on that was a 3 inch spotty, foul hooked through the throat.

It was an enjoyable morning (despite the weather) and I'm pleased that I can catch a few fish on the plastic. I feel a lot more confident using them now.

My mate was using pilchards and he only picked up 1 Kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BarneyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2006 at 10:32am
BarneyC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Keep on it.  We're all still learning.

I'm also finding the small kahawai are suckers for a SP.  Certainly the chartreuse flappy tail things are demons on this front.

Damned handy way of getting some decent live baits I must say.

Let us know how you get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 10:40pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff BFIST. I think know the spot you are talking about. I fished there once for zilch but now with your report, will be tempted back there again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 10:20am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah we sent to Oriental first but the northerly was howling so we went for something more sheltered. So thats how we found it.

Went on sunday evening to Miramar wharf to check it out, got one little foul hooked spotty again and also hooked another small kahawai. We moved back to that same wharf as Saturday to get out of the northerly again as it was difficult casting into it with only my SP gear.

Back at the spot from Saturday and got nothing and then the wind decided t change to a south easterly and was coming straight at us.

Oh well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 10:53am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't be as bad as my school holidays effort with two hyperactive kids running around the wharf at Mana, getting caught in fishing line and knocking over tackle boxes, but we caught two fish an elusive Sea weed fish and the even more common cousin the Ziltch fish.......god I needed a beer after than.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 11:18am
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

lol moocha, well this weekend if the weather isnt too bad and you dont mind a little travel give me a yell and we can head out somewhere and i'll bring along my arsenal to cause some havoc Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 1:09pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds like a tough day moocha, maybe I should have been more pleased with this massive spotty I got on the 5" nuclear chicken.

As you can see I thought it was pretty funny
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 11:24pm
Andrew View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

although it's not wellington but close lol,im intending to try fishing for some moocha snapper in the sounds in the next couple of weeks should be good to see how the soft plastics go,was using my newly brought soft plastic rod to catch trout this last few days seemed to go really well.