Naki report

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naki report
    Posted: 02 Sep 2006 at 9:38pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes you guessed it, time for another Naki fishThumbs Up. Wondaboy was otherwise engaged baby sittingCry, but he informed me that Adam was keen for a fish. Nubee was batching so I was expecting a text from him if he wasn't working, which came later on and yes he was keenThumbs Up. Adam went on the piss so he was going to be a no showThumbs Down. The moon faze wasn't great, however the sea was going to be clean if it was possible to get out, as the swell was forecast to be 2 metre. We arrived simultaneously at WC fish supermarket at 7.30 to a clean sea, little wind and a launch-able swellBig smile. We set off without a dumping and followed the inner reef searching for good signs and soon Nubee found some structure that he was keen to drop a line on. I followed on out the reef and dropped anchor on another good spot. Eternity passed before i got my first bite. It turned out to be a KY which i lost at the side of the yak. Meanwhile I heard what i thought was a faint YE Ha, however Nubee was 700 or 800 metres away so i wasn't sure and as this was only the second time out with Nubee, I also wasn't clear on what size snapps warranted a YE HA. The stray line bounced again, was set and i reeled in what felt like a lump of seaweed. however I was surprised to find it was a 10lb snapps. The line peeled out and soon a cuda arrived at the yak, only to shoot under the yak severing my burly line in the process. The day was slow, pulling in small snapps, with only 1 going in the bin. Nubee had packed up and reached me with a smile on his face and 4 snapps in the bin. A pannie, a 6.5lb, a 14.5lb and a 16.5lbThumbs UpClapBig smile. Well done NubeeStar
Nubee headed back and i stayed on for 3/4 of an hour until bite time, during which time 1 more panie and a KY went in the bin. I was packing up and went to reel in my ledger, but found it was just a dead weight and the reason was revealed when an octopus surfaced, that was eager to cling to the bottom of my yak. I discovered he had my burley line and upon retrieving my burley bagThumbs Up, i unhooked him (without him climbing up my armConfused) and with a quick thanks for my bag mate, he was only too keen to head for the bottom. I scouted the sea on the way in wondering if Nubee had been trashed in the surf Wink(after last weeks debacleOuch) and was floating out to sea, however i soon spied him on the shore. I studied the surf and caught a nice wave in, eager wanting to ask the question "did you get trashed". "NO was the confident reply. This was followed up by a sheepish "I jumped off first"Embarrassed
The day ended with a very happy Nubee the winner of the dayThumbs Up

A couple of pics of today's outing

Nubee with his 16.5lbClapThumbs Up

A happy Nube with his 14.5lb and 16.5lbClapThumbs Up

Mr octopus with my burley line

Well done on the catch Nubee.Thumbs Up We'll go for the big fish next weekWinkLOL

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2006 at 10:10pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done Nubee, hope u guys haye left some for us.Good report Naki Man
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2006 at 10:47pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, a good day was had (even if it was slow by naki mans standardsWink) gotta love those anchovies!Thumbs Up

Naki man, it's a shame that puss didnt have your rod in it's other hand (tenticle).

Ive decided that to lob myself off the yak in the surf zone means that I wont get trashed any moreBig smile and it's a quick float back to shore if you hold onto the back Embarrassed.

Look forward to next week to see if we cant get big brother!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 12:15am
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As posted by Nubee
Naki man, it's a shame that puss didnt have your rod in it's other hand (tenticle).

Still a sore pointCry. The new Fluger still hasn't left the garage

As posted by Nubee last week
Maybe I'll have better luck next week? thinking about changing my name to tippa!

Your luck sure changed Nubee, Might have to call you jumper though not tippa

Shad, You'll have to join us for a fish sometime. Have you fished WC at all
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 7:28am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Excellent fish and a great result guysThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wondaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 9:24am
wondaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great catch there nubee!Clap   Well done

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 3:24pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Next mission is to work those sp's like wondaboy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 5:37pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hardly worth reporting todays catch.    Some 30 red cod and 1 gurnard.
Should have been at WC/

Well done guys

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yellow Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 9:49pm
Yellow Duck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

AWESOME fishing, congrats on a great catch, as SHADZ sez, hope there's some left out there for us novices,....L.O.LTongue
                                                          BLUEDUCK!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 10:27am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Lots of red cod around at the moment, which are not my favourite target fish.   Going for crays instead.     A man has to feed his brood with something.
Rainbow 

PS My P13 pressed into heavy duty work.   Just shows how versatile this yak is.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 6:00pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice crays there Rainbow, just goes to show the versatility of yak fishing

Well done and I presume the left overs will be burly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 6:23pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How many cray pots do you manage to put out from your Yak Rainbow??
Cheers
Yak Fisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 9:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Yak Fisher

Two pots is about right and safe to handle fore and aft.    Cray potting from the yak allows you to set pots in areas too dangerous for big boats but you need to be careful handling the pots and ropes 

Avoid having anything on deck that might catch the netting.   Also never bring the rope on board when pulling up pots.    Let it trail in the water with the buoy.    If you want to retrieve the pot get that on board first and then bring in the rope from the pot end and place on top of the pot.   Last bring in the buoy and place it into the funnel.    Also I never tie the pots down in case something happens.   Ratehr have them fall off than prevent me from flipping the yak back deck up.   They sit there as the heavy weight keeps them in place.

Once I have them set I leave them out there 2-3 nights, rebaiting every morning.    On Sunday I had a big octopus in one of the pots and when I thought I had got rid of it the sod it had attached itself to the hull without me realising it.   On the way in I wondered why the yak was so slow until I ran into Grant from VIking Kayaks who was visiting NP.   Told him about the octopus in the pot when he said "it is still on your yak".     And so it was with its arms coming up through the scupper holes.   Massive beast easily 1.5m span.   Hung on until the ramp.

Never a dull moment with this yakking, is there?

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 10:39pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Rainbow
Thanks for the rundown on your tactics. So you did not want to keep Mr Octy for a pet then, as it seems he was getting attached to youLOL

Do you get any problems down your way with people messing around with your pots etc??

Cheers
Yak Fisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:06pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Rainbow, those octopus sure are tricky little beast. Once they get hold of he bottom of your yak, they take a bit of prying loose

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:12pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey there Naki man... how did you get on off Bell Block Beach last weekend?

DogFish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:07pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

My first close encounter with Mr Octy was a few years ago a WC.   I was all by myself in a little Frenzy that only had a back rest.     I pulled up an octy with my berley pot and knocked it off.     After that I shifted my position and started fishing again.     Suddenly I felt something probing under my arse, It  felt like a finger.    Not subscribing to the gay lifestyle I nearly jumped off the yak.     When I shifted I saw one of the octy tentacles coming up through the seat scupper hole obviously exploring new territory.    Unfortunately what would have been a thrill for some was totally wasted on me.    I dealt to the pervert with the knife.

Rainbow  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:19pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dogfish, water was clear and should have been a good day. However red cod, eels and spikies seem to be on the menu for the day. I pulled up the only snapps, that was just over the 30cm mark

Nubee went in 3/4 of an hour earlier. When I got in he was still sitting away from the beach quite a distance, very worried about how we were going to get in. After studying the sets for a while we planned our trip in and managed to land without any drama.

It's back to WC for me

Rainbow, don't knock it, it could be one way of staying in your yak while landing in big surf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 10:42pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did we ever find the owner of the strips of grey plastic up the ramp?

Looked like FnD material to me!

Bring on the weekend, a w/c we will go

Whilst studying the sets from afar, I also noticed some frantic packing away of gear from the old naki man!
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 11:34pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nubee wrote

Whilst studying the sets from afar, I also noticed some frantic packing away of gear from the old naki man!

Not a truer word said, although I would have said  wise old naki man!

There's enough of my gear at the bottom of the brinyCry

As for the grey plastic. Yes I think there is a brand new FnD with a rather thin hull

Page  123>