Safety Discussions

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Discussions
    Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 10:08pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Next one over to you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kohi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 11:25pm
Kohi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't drink and drive..... unless you're overnighting.

Tell crew where all safety gear is. Confiscate their beer, oh and women.

Bung holes are made to be Plugged.

Edit: buggar yak forum.... still applies

Boobies for the win !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 9:01am
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Using your rear tank well as a tuna oil dispenser is not recommended.

Use your mates one instead.

Seriously though - Leave an intention sheet with someone - and stick to it.   Change your mind, ping them a TXT to let them know.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 9:16am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

When it's midnight, you're pissed and suddenly going out for a fish or livie catching session seems a good fun thing to do, make sure you give your mates the keys to your boat, or your car. You won't be needing them any more.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 9:21am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

'DON'T FISH ALONE' is a good one.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 9:25am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Put a light on.

I have barely seen several yaks on my way home into Weiti river - any spray on the window and fading light and choppy water = can't see any yaks.

It'd be a shame to have a messy paint streak and blood along the side of my boat when running over a yak.

Put a light on.

Cheers
Espresso
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kohi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 11:35am
Kohi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Make a flag and pole up for the yak.  I just used an old bike one trimmed the staff and stiffened the 'flag' so it stayed taught all the time.

And secure the flag/pole properly, as I watched mine fly away pole and all one day whilst fishing on a rather windy day!  Doh.

I though one of those prop flag/light combo's would be good as well. 

A white light is needed for night time however... 2 NM visability distance??...  better check up on that one.
Boobies for the win !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 6:22pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I suggest you take a compass for night fishing. It's freaky out there when you don't know what direction to home is.

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 7:07pm
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes Kohi is right, at least get a flag. They say yellow is more easy to see on the briney. For me I've got one of those Johnson (mobilityLOL) flags and I intend to incorporate a bright white light in it with some used washing up liquid bottles and sticky tape (JOKE!).
For me I carry the following.
Emergency box with basic first aid stuff (also have a full trauma bag in the truck which is always there).
Flares.
The obvious, like stuff to drink and eat (hydration rig and chew bars), mobile phone, camera (got to get the evidence!).
I carry 2 knives. One folding one with spike on a lanyard which goes in my PFD, the other is my dive knife attached to my inside left leg.
Anchor pack is standard.

I agree that you should not go out fishing on your own as it to can be lonely out there at times, but I do it as there is no one else to do it with and many others are in the same YAK!!!
I always tell the wifey where I am going and when I'll be back-honestWink
Cheers
Yak Fisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 9:40pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Apart from the norm here's some tips from me

Dress not to impress but to stay alive
- critical as most yaks have nowhere to hide if they fall in to cold water on a semi windy day. Cold + wind = wind chill = hypothermea. ps it's dam hard to change clothes and warm up when your on the water
- your going to fall in when you least expect it

Carry all essential safety equipment on your PDF and not much else on the PDF
- essential safety gear on my PDF = mini flares (in PDF pocket), cellphone (in waterproof case around neck), portable VHF (check reception and attach to body), Knife - have it very sharp (when a ropes around your leg you don't want to be sawing way to get free)

Country folk die on country roads  (old saying)
- familarity breads contempt
- always treat a small trip to the local snap dairy as if your going for a full day kingi trip around the top of coro

Fish with a mate
- its jush better fishing with another as some other buggers got to carry the front of your yak to the waters edge and oh yes
- if you can out and need help flippers not going to save you - your mate is
- hooping and howlering by your self is as much fun as drinking by yourself

And finally know your(and yak) limits
good luck and stay topside
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 8:33am
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys. How many have practiced getting back in their yak?. IMO This is an important point as at some stage you're going to end up getting tipped out. Another thing to think about when pimping your yak is, if you do full out, can you do a side mount, or do you have to mount from the rear. If from the rear how many obstacles do you have to traverse??

This might seem like a silly question to ask but I actually know people who can't get back in a Fish N DiveShocked Should they be yak fishing, as it puts their mates at risk as well during a rescue. I actually told one guy that fell out, as he was grabbing for my yak, that i would smack him with my paddle, as I couldn't help him if i was in the water too

My 2 cents worth
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 3:35pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A re-entry method I have been told about (and will try out shortly).

Once you have been for a dip, instead of hauling yourself out of the water and onto your yak, grab the side of the yak and start to swim pushing it as you go, this will bring your legs to the top of the water, once flat on the surface it should be easier to pull the kayak under you!

As I say, I havent tried it yet but would be interested if anyone uses this method!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote formtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2006 at 4:01pm
formtool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at doing a surfing and reintry day out at Muriwai beach when the water gets warmer. Smaller surf and no gear on board as we will be crashing out, but fun and will learn a lot in only a short time. If interested I'll post the date and time later as the swell will be the diciding matter. If we have anough I'll bring the BBQ and the chilly for your beers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 8:02am
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check the forecast and never be afraid to turn back if the weather looks like turning to poo.

Although some of us battle the roughest seas in search of fish!
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MtBadfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 12:23am
MtBadfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gidday guys,

Im new to this, (forum not yak fishin)
Read over the string and thought I'd ad my couple cents on a reasonably easy re-entry technique.
When you tip out (not "if" "when") swim up to the side of the cockpit.
Lean over your seat and grab the opposite side of the yak with one hand.
Pull your other hand over to grab the same spot in a �freestyle� swimming stork over the kayak and kick a bit in the water to help you up a bit.
Once your gut is up and your waist is on the edge of the cockpit, simply roll over and sit up. You will be sitting sideways on your kayak and after a couple practices you�ll be able to do it right into your seat.
It can be done in surf too with very little effort and even between waves in a hurry.

Hope this helps someone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 10:10am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

This method works for me and my wife.   

1. grab hold of the side nearest to you and next to the seat with both hands.
2. Push the yak away with outstretched arms and kick your feet in a swimming motion.
3. When your feet are near the surface quickly pull the yak towards you (or pull yourself towards the yak).    If you do it quickly you will have enough momentum to fling your upper body over the deck.   This should be far enough over to not turn over the yak.
4. Once up there you can roll over onto your bum and then swivel the torso around to get your feet into the footwells.    

Practice that move in different sea conditions.   It will give you enormous confidence.

Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 12:34pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats works for me about getting back on the yak is thinking about a big Mr bitey. I seem to be able to jump out of the water onto the yak, no worries from there.ShockedEvil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 5:41pm
TX View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well put Rainbow.
Practice is the key. Kayakers need to know they can get back on before the occasion arises. But make sure the practice is done in a controlled enviroment or with someone else there to help if required.
And don't get up on your hands and knees, stay as low as possible till your back in the saddle.
In a real situation, you'll only get 3 goes at this before you'll be exhausted so the first attemp needs to be the one that works.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Young Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 4:38pm
Young Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Those re-entry tips should help me out alot. I havn't got my yak yet but i have a huge lake about 100m drive from my house...Awsome for practicing the re-entry and just getting the feel of the yak before i take on the ocean Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonmaklad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 8:50am
Bonmaklad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah thats lucky for you guys with your SOT kayaks :P for anyone like me who doesn't have a SOT kayak, i find not falling out works! lol but if you do fall out i always like to ride the kayak like a horse before i get my legs in, so you can drag yourself over the top and then just swing your legs in.
Page  123 5>