Rigged Kayak photo's

Page  <1 34567 33>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 10:12pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look at this guys kayak he has got the works going on ...

Have to give him big ups Thumbs%20Up hes keen(note the wiring)........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 6:58pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's surely one very impressive looking kayak, wish i had one like that.

what a machine, that things a beast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2007 at 7:38pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jesus christ
And I thought the americans were bad
I'd hate to lift that thing off the hilux, maybe he was a hiab on his truck as well!
Imagine trying to turn it back over if he capsized!!

I'll stick to my humble little rig thank ya very much
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 10:25am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

My first thought was: �Typical Yankee overkill�, but then I relised that this nutter is living just across the Ditch.    I hope this concept isn�t coming over on a stiff westerly to infect some of our own gullibles.   

I have found that in yak rigging �it is much harder to leave things off than to put them on�, which translates into: �Only take what you really need�.   

The only two things that caught my interest were the square hatches, which allow safe internal rod storage.    Hi time the OK people addressed this omission on the Prowlers.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 11:00am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TOO RIGHT!

I think there comes a point where it goes past rigging to catch fish and into rigging to out do the Jones'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote synergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 7:39pm
synergy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Greetings got the local boatbuilders to make it for me out of alloy.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 9:59am
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

FYI... That guy with the antenna farm on his yak is indeed a Yank and resident in the USA. He's a regular poster on the Aussie & UK forums.

DogFish
I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 1:43pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

What a relief.    Shows you how accurate first impressions often are.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 3:37pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yea, never woulda guessed
I remember fishing in a lake in Arkansas (US) and we came across a guy with a portable DVD player on board his yak.
He was watching a dvd about sharks while fishing a fresh water lake for catfish.......
Different strokes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote dgax65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 9:28pm
dgax65 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

My first thought was: �Typical Yankee overkill�, but then I relised that this nutter is living just across the Ditch.    I hope this concept isn�t coming over on a stiff westerly to infect some of our own gullibles.   

I have found that in yak rigging �it is much harder to leave things off than to put them on�, which translates into: �Only take what you really need�.   

First off, I'd like to say hello.  I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but haven't really posted anything.  I'm always interested in seeing how things are being done around the world.  I've learned quite a bit from this forum as well as some of the Australian and South African forums. 

I'll be the first to admit that there is some level of overkill on my kayak.  I could have stopped with a couple of rod holders and still have a perfectly good fishing platform.   Alas, that is not my nature.  I enjoy tinkering on my kayak.  Most of the modifications that I've made to my kayak are based on 5 years of kayak fishing experience.  There are a couple of things that I might do differently on my next kayak (cockpit lights-gone), but nothing major.  While it may seem a little excessive, my kayak is well suited to fishing the Southern California waters.  We don't have to cope with the weather and surf conditions that you experience.  We can get away with carrying a lot of gear topside.  A large percentage of fishing kayaks in SoCal have live bait systems, fish finders, GPS and the requisite electrical systems.

What sets my kayak apart from others is the hull reinforcement, waterproofing and corrosion control steps that I've taken with the electrical system.  That is a byproduct of my navy training.  All of the modifications have probably added 10-15kg of extra weight to the kayak.  It is a little on the heavy side, but I have a 600lb load capacity to work with.  Of more concern is my propensity to carry way too much gear with me when I fish.  I know that less is better, but it's oh so hard to leave anything behindEmbarrassed
I've been thinking about buying a South African fishing ski (Stealth BFS).  The limited load capacity would force me to take a more minimalist approach to fishing.  Who knows...it might be good for me.

BTW: That picture of the yak on the beach was just a joke.  I don't carry that much gear when I fish.  A standard SoCal set up would be 4-5 rods; two for trolling, one for making bait and 2 for jigging or soft plastic lures.

I hope that explains some things.  I may be a complete nutter, but it works for me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 10:17pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome Doug! Have enjoyed your postings on AKFF....keep them up Thumbs%20Up. Yes agreed, if it works for you go for it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Prop Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 12:10am
Prop Man View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on you Doug! Whilst I may not agree that all is needed, I have to say that I think you have done a great job in each step/area.

It's good to see people doing stuff to their Yaks, providing it does not sacrafice safety. Lets face it you have to think forward in all areas, if you dont you remain in the ice age and become blinkered.

I see you have a Humminbird, looks like the one up from mine but yours has a colour screen (mines a 727). Have you had any problems with it? I ask because even though I spent top dollar on mine, it had a fog problem from day one. Humminbird bless them have resoleved it in 48 hours!!!

I'm currently doing some projects on my Yak (Elite) which will also take things a stage or two further in it's ability. Cant say at the moment exactly what they are as I want to do several trials first before posting.
From one ex Navy Guy to another one-Keep it up mate!!!???!!!!
Cheers
Yak Fisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dgax65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 8:50am
dgax65 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Yak Fisher
I have had a couple of problems with my fish finder.   I sent it back to Humminbird to get the display fixed once.  It worked well for several months, but has started exhibiting the same problem again.  (See image)

I can't say that I'm too upset with it.  It was a demo model that had been on display in the store for months.  I got it at 1/3 the list price and it has a 2 year repair or replace warranty. 

This is my third Humminbird FF and I've been happy with them so far.  Although I have a cover for my FF, it gets a lot of abuse as I go out through the surf.  I haven't had fogging problems on any of my FFs yet.  As with most FF, the weak link seems to be the connectors.  I use liberal amounts of di-electric grease to keep them from getting corroded.

The only other brand that I would switch to might be Lowrance.  I like Garmin, but most of their units have lower resolution screens.  The Humminbird and Lowrance units have excellent displays and reasonable prices. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 9:46am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gidday dgax65,

I guess this is where I should slot in and apologise for giving your rig stick. Not something I'd normally do but I guess I figured you'd never read it,,,,,CAUGHT

You have done a lot work there. All those rod holders I thought to be a bit OTT but hell, I guess as like everything on everyones Yak, its what suits you and your style best.

That bait tank really is awesome! Amoung the best I've seen!
I've been struggling with finding a suitable one for my prowlers for a long time. As Rainbow hinted there earlier, the ocean kayaks guys really do need to re-think their cockpit hatches, well thats my thought anyways, I find mine all but useless!
I've made a live tank that sits in the rear well with the pick up in the scupper. It works great but in a swell it can be a hard task turning around to getting your livies out of the tank again!
I've even missed tryin to put them IN the tank before

I am still to meet anyone that hasn't had problems with their Humminbirds. I had a Humminbird 787c2 Combo when I had my boat (before selling it to buy more yaks) , its now on my elite. Well, when it's not in the shop getting fixed every couple weeks, its been fogging and cutting out and mis-reading etc etc etc Everytime it gets sent back it takes about 6 weeks!
I'm now having to swap between the Max 20 I have on my spare yak and a 2nd hand 525 unit that my mates given me and they're both fogging and having problems....
I'v molded a silicone boot for my lowrance but havn't got it to right just yet...

It's all yak fun and games I guess. Keeps me busy and its sending me broke but I love it

Welcome to the site Doug
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 5:39pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Welcome to the site Doug, its been great reading your posts on the AKFF site and all the ideas and stuff you have done to improve your fishing from the yak.. hope the fish dont find out...LOL

LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dgax65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 9:08pm
dgax65 View Drop Down
New User
New User

No worries, Badfish.  My kayak is nothing if not excessive.  I've don't take any offense if people think it's overkill....it is.  The thing that I love about kayaks is that they are an extension of your personality.  I can go down to the beach on a Saturday morning and see a hundred different rigging jobs on kayaks.  Everybody does what suits their needs and their personality.  I'm registered on over a dozen kayak fishing forums around the world and I've seen lots of different approaches to rigging kayaks.  There are times when I've seen something and wondered "WTF was that guy thinking?"  I know that more than a few people have said that about my kayakEmbarrassed  After spending some time on a forum and learning about the fishery, you figure out why people are rigging their kayaks they way that they do. 

I've grown very fond of my Kayatank.  I have made several different bait tanks for my kayaks, but nothing has worked as well as the Kayatank.  It is so much more convenient to have the bait tank in the cockpit.  They have one that is designed for the Prowler 15.  If the scupper arrangement is the same, I'm sure it would work on the Elite 4.5.  You might want to check out the website for Angler's Yak Shack.  They have a lot of information on how the Kayatanks work and how they are installed.  The designer, Mo, is a good guy and you can contact him if you have any questions about the tank.  I don't know if he ships overseas, but you could ask.  Making your own might also be a possibility.  It would be harder to do with a Prowler, because of the small center hatch size.  Malibu and Cobra Kayaks are easier; thanks to the rectangular hatch.  A drop-in polyethylene tank wouldn't be very hard to make.  Sorry....this is how I wind up with all that crap installed on my kayak.  I get too excited about manufacturing things for the yakEmbarrassed

BTW: Ocean Kayak is taking a lot of input from kayak fishermen and I think they now realize that the rectangular center hatch is a good idea.  The Prowler Big Game has one.  I heard that OK-US just finished test molds of a new model; the Prowler Trident.  Supposedly, it is about the same length as the 4.5, but with a wider beam and other improvements.  I'm eager to see if it will have a rectangular hatch. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 4:54pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers for that link Doug.
I do a lot of live bait fishing for kingie and sometimes snapper so this might be the go if it fits the Elite.
Although it will be a bit different having the small round hatch on the prowlers.
The other option I've been thinking about it getting those scotty stabilizers. Then I could keep the chilly bin (cooler) live tank going behind and it'd be easier to swing around and get the bait out.
I was thinking about getting the stabilizers more for jigging, I'd really like to be able to get up to 50# braid if I could. I think the stabilizers would allow me that little extra stability to run extra drag and of course help out on busting snags.
I'm currently running 35# braid on my salist and I've had to bust that free a couple times and managed fairly well, but I haven't been able to push the drag up as much as I would like to.

I guess I'm just as guilty for getting excited about mods for my yak too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 6:34pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That Kayatank is a tidy looking set up ....

I myself don't do any live baiting  as such ..But just looking at that tank it would be handy to have on my prowler and lose that small storage pocket under the screw hatch which holds car keys and thats about it...Thumbs%20Up

Just a query but why is the pick up for the pump on the side of the kayak all be it below water line and the outlet through the bottom...Just asking as wouldnt the pump cavitate now and then being up that high....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2007 at 5:04pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was just reading over the site and they mention that the inlet is on the side rather than the bottom to help protect it from being damaged on the bottom.
I've been hovering over the site a bit lately, I'd really like to get one but that hatch is such a b***h to open I could see that being a problem...
And if I converted it where would I put my keys ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2007 at 5:48pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats what i sort of guessed which makes sence but i wonder wouldn't you have the same problem with the outlet pipe.....

You would be in trouble if that out glue poped off the botton of the hull we all know how hard it is to get a glue to stick to that plastic....Shocked

I would have to agree about the hatch being a b***h to open i thought i was being smart and put some rubber grease on the oring and the thread which works well till ya get sand and grit on it then its even worse ..Cry  Then you have trouble getting home with the car keys stuck in the hatch...Angry
Page  <1 34567 33>