Rigged Kayak photo's

Page  <1 23456 33>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 10:15am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Do you actually fish all 3 rods at once while out on the yak??

Hahei is a greta place to fish with a yak. so many lil islands close to shore, heaps of options.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 12:30pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saffa, have you had the beast out in surf much. If so, how do you keep your as*e in the seat, or do you paddle through the surf like you would on a surf board? They look like they have a surprisingly amount of room in the hatchThumbs Up
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2006 at 2:43pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Do you actually fish all 3 rods at once while out on the yak??

Hahei is a greta place to fish with a yak. so many lil islands close to shore, heaps of options.

Yeah - I do fish all three - sad ay !!
I have one set up for trolling, one set up for a drifting bait, and one for SP's. THat way I don't have to re-rig each time I pick up the pick and move around. I spent the last four January's in Hahei, just gagging for a way to get out amongst the fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 4:28pm
saffa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey naki man - yeah the old "supertanker" as my mate has dubbed it, crashes through the surf (over and punching through breaking lips if you dont get out before the new sets arrive) pretty well. The bow is shaped pretty well and curves up quite a bit. My first pic is below my old place in Durban SA, popular surf spot with waves normally between 4-6ft.

The foot wells have straps over them like surf life saving skis, and you wedge you feet in these giving you some grip and leverage, and you suss the waves, pick your break in the sets then charge the shorebrreak, jump on the yak and then paddle like crazy, aiming to make it past backline before the next set arrives. 
The straps are not tight, so if you do roll or get dumped, you can get away from the yak as it crashes back to the beach.

The hatch can take full length/unbroken rods (1 piece) since it has a pipe running all the way to the nose for this reason. It surfs the waves pretty well coming back in, using your paddle bracing in the surf since the rudder does not work when surfing a wave (same speed as the water). Providing you dont brooch and you keep the nose straight, you can beach with some dignity (if all goes according to plan). Its then that you look like a dork, when you dismount and try stand and your legs dont work from sitting for 4/6 hours and you fall overLOL.

You guys have much surf to contend with down there?
WORK IS THE CURSE OF THE FISHING FANATIC!
Boat = Stealth Supalight (glass)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 4:37pm
saffa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Dogfish

Yep, in the last pic you can see how bow curves up and narrows, so it handles surf launches pretty well, rudder system also works a treat.

The hatch starts between your legs, then basically the whole forward space from there in front of the foot wells is hatch area. It also has one smaller "dry" well behind you for dry stuff with screw on lid - its also pretty big for a dry hatch.

When racing for the backline to beat a building wave, you sometimes get airborne over the back of the wave if you just manage to shoot over before the lip forms and starts breaking since have been charging out and have a fair bit of speed - thats pretty awesome when you make it over the final wave like that, then its home free and the fish await.

Have you ever tried the Halco lures for Kingfish? Perfect for yaks. Let me know if you want to know about them.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 4:42pm
saffa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

http://www.halcotackle.com/scorp150.asp
Ideal to troll for gamefish
* float when you stop paddling (unlike most rapalas), as soon as you start up again - down they dive
* have a rattle inside to attract fish
* interchangeable bib depending on depth you want them to swim at
* its made from plastic so cannot get bent and alter swim pattern like the repalas
* work well as slow speeds, suits yaks, since you dont have  to crank the paddle like a windmill
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 7:25pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by saffa saffa wrote:

Its then that you look like a dork, when you dismount and try stand and your legs dont work from sitting for 4/6 hours and you fall overLOL.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:44pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here's some shots of my Kaskazi Pelican on it's maiden fishing voyage last weekend up the coast. Minimal rigout for fishing as I intend to only use it for just trolling and/or day tripping.

I've still got to install an electric bailing pump as it can get a bit wet in the cockpit after launching through the surf as there are no scupper holes or venturi's.

DogFish
I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:51pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What a cool setup dogfish - that looks a sweet ride - very nice. Did you catch any fish??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 11:16pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by ajst2duk ajst2duk wrote:

What a cool setup dogfish - that looks a sweet ride - very nice. Did you catch any fish??
The fishing was pretty slow all up the coast. I only managed a pannie Snapper and a couple of Gurnard. There were quite a few Grey Sharks around and I had a wrestle with a large one that gave me a good tow around before eventually biting through the trace.

DogFish
I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Soldrblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2006 at 3:02pm
Soldrblue View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi De Hi, Merry Christmas to one and all. As some will know Im only just starting out - but here is my mini rig. You can just make out my Daiwa Sealine Rod in the back. On my first  experimental fall out and climb back in the rod stayed exactly where it was.  Woohoo

As you will see in this photo I wear a UV Neoprene top, universal sized PFD, lil gripper shoes and of course gloves so my pen pushing handy wandys dont get hurt :) Last but not least a dry bag for the cell phone for wifey to call me to ask if Im on my way to South America or not as I am a dot on the horizon snicker. Just above the gloves I have a ryoshi fishing belt which fits nicely on top of the PFD to hold my bits and pieces in. $15.95 from Mitre 10 Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paffoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2007 at 2:44am
paffoh View Drop Down
New User
New User

Well here is 'Mary Jane' in all her glory, isn't she dope!? lol

Picked her up today after a quick trip down the bay, dealer installed rudder and once home I actually drilled the Hobie rod mount in myself without hesitating too much ( Was really simple, even after 6 months I still pondered for awhile ), love the granite green so much and she was a pleasure to paddle for the few hours in windy conditions on Lake Tuggeranong ( Unfortunately no fish ).

Long, sleek and potent what a green machine she will be after I purchase a dedicated in-hull sounder and new fishfinder that will be mounted permanently in the tray holder below along with a gps mount for my Garmin map 76s ( Will keep old Piranha max10 FF for my Outfitter even though the transducer seems to be broken ), if Humminbird fail to offer new unit or replacement transducer under warranty I will buy a slightly more expensive sounder but if they do I would consider getting another one for the Quest ( Previous transducer having major fluctuating depth readings along with loss of detail, Claire dropped it a few times ).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paffoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2007 at 2:50am
paffoh View Drop Down
New User
New User

Here is an old thread of my other kayak ( Link to thread is old so missing Fishfinder & GPS which was upgraded later ) :

Here is a current one :

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 6:13pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice setups there Paffoh. Whats the stability of that top yak like. It looks quite narrow or is it wider that it looks. Looks like it would be quick through the water

You sure you've got enough rods stacked in that corner

NM
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paffoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 8:32pm
paffoh View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hehe cheers mate, thats about 40% of my rods, others are down the coast used on my Dads stinkboat although most are for LBG or jigging, the green yak is about 70cm wide and was very stable in 40+ knot winds yesterday and was super fast ( Compared to the Outfitter below which is 83cm from memory and a pig of a kayak ).

Im looking at getting another yak too, im so addicted :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bonmaklad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 8:27pm
Bonmaklad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

OK so it's not as good or funky as the rest but this is my new setup using my body, a chain and a bungy cord.

on the seat is a bun bag which will be attached to me which has all my Sps , hooks scisors iki and hook remover  everything i need. Got my knife attached to the boat behind. A chain holding the paddle on and with the quick release of the paddle means i can get to it fast!  bag is being held on by it's own straps and a bungy strap, the rod is being held by the kayak and the bungee cord enableing me to fish and row at the same time, i'v tested it by rolling the kayak over, not even the rod fell out so as long as it works all the time i'm happy..

What you think :)

Also for those who haen't seen this is 8metres of rope and bath non slip mats :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 1:44pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have finally given up on my Hummingbird Max 20 and bought a Lowrance X50DS.    Unfortunately I could not use the mounting bracket nor the position above the second cupholder on my P13.   

Instead I had a second bottom welded into the cup holder about 50 mm from the lower edge onto which I screwed the display base.    This keeps the base below the gun whale and cant be damaged when loading onto  a roof rack.    It also keeps the display very low which is an added bonus.

Will post pictures when I take the yak off the roof rack.

Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 9:39pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Pictures of Lowrance base mount in P13 forward cup holder.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote synergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 7:30pm
synergy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A picture of my Prowler, it's first catch in rough conditions on it's first outing Castlepoint 07.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 8:27pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one there synergy.
I like that cover around your sounder where did you get it from?
Page  <1 23456 33>