Naki report

Page  <12345 180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2007 at 10:24pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Four metre swell at the moment but supposed to be easing.     Re broken rod.   Was an old stick which I re ringed with ceramics.    Well, I had a good bite and leaned into it when with a crack the rod busted in the middle.    As it turned out I had hooked two 1.5kg snapper simultaneously.

Today went to Rebel Sports and found a good replacement but wont pick it up until the Sale Day.   Worth waiting for.

On another tack I got a sponsorship Kaikoura Cray pot for the OSAKFC club's April Comp.

Have a good fish at Mokau.    Don't forget to take your brown undies in case  the big swell persists over the next four days .

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deanoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2007 at 8:55am
deanoo View Drop Down
New User
New User

Ha there naki boys

Will i finally got a day off and half pie desent weather, to try my hand at this yak fishing. I was at Waverly beach at 6.30 i think the tied was turning to come in. I hadnt paid any attention to when would be the best time to go as i only had the morning and i was just so keen to get out. There was little to no wind BUT those 3meter swels with caps on the top made me tremble a bit. But like any good kiwi I just shguged it of with a "she'll be right" attitued. I have spent a lot of time on my yak in the surf playing, and seting my long line off the beach, But today i found it so hard to get out through the brakers. It was like padling 4 meters ford and get woshed 5 meters back. i think it was the little bit more gear i had on board. I finnaly got out turnd the finder on to find a likly spot and start pulling all those snaps in, will that was the plan. With the rolling swell and being new to this i was starting to lose that attitued (she'll be right). I was out there for an hour with no bittes,With the swell geting bigger and Felling a little green around the gilss and sorry for my self i packed up and headed in.
So it wasnt the best start for my yak fishing adventures BUT i will be back out there soon.
I was woundering if it would be possible to team up with some of you naki boys and tag a long for a fish, to learn the ropes. 
Thanks 
HAPPY FISHING 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 10:41pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rainbow saw that pot around at Bruces. They look well made.

Ist 2 days at Mokau were a right off. Huge seas and very dirty, however it calmed down so I pulled out the long sticks, looked for a nice hole and had a go at surf casting. After a couple of outings I ended up with 8 pannies (smallest being 32cm, a nice 2.5 kg kahawai and a nice trev). I managed to get out through the surf (a little back paddling was required as the surf was still reasonable) for a yak fish, however after a couple of hours of very slow fishing, I only hooked 2 gurnard. Landing the yak was always going to be a little tricky, however i managed to catch the back of a nice roller all the way to shore.

Deano. I'll probably get out somewhere this weekend if the weather gods are kind. Not sure where as yet.

Those 3mtr swells, capping on top can be a little freaky.

A pic of Mokau

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 10:54pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hey NM

Don't fret the fishing in NP wasnt any better.    Out yesterday for only 3 gurnard, 3 kopapa and one newbee yak fisher who turned over in calm seas.    S&R chopper pulled another one off Sealrock after he tried to get back onto his yak for 30min.   In the morning a dinghy friend rescued a third aroun Moturoa.    I think right now we are seeing a new crop of  guys with their XMas pressies on the water; as it looks without any survival skills.

Scary

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 9:11am
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rainbow, Nakiman,
Not all fishing around NP was crap, went out yesterday morning for a fish and it was going off, nothing big but all snapps between 1 and 2.5kgs. On the water at 6am, got my limit of snapps by 9am, back on shore by 10.30, must have released at least another 20 snapps all good kilo fish.

Read about the guy who couldnt get back onto his yak, what are these guy's doing out there if they cant get back on? surely thats the first thing to learn! at least it will give the local boaties antoher reason to moan about us (Not all boaties you understand).
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 11:28pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done there Nubee. Was that at WC
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 7:13am
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeh mate, right on that same spot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deanoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 9:37am
deanoo View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi all

Yes the first thing i did when i got my yak was head down to the lake and jumped in, i can get in no worrys. Then the first play in the waves and i learnt that the yak dosnt always stay the right way up, so it was back to the lake to practice rolling it over and geting in. It did take a bitt to master tho.The last few days the sea has been looking good first thing in the morning, so all day i get my hoppes up for an evening fish just to have shatered at around 3 when the wind gets up big time.

Hay Naki Man i have sunday off if you are still planing on going out i would love to tag a long.

Happy Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 4:56pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on ya deanoo, got to get that bit right! dont want to be another rescue story in the paperWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 9:39pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Denoo

First things first and you are doing it the right safe way.  

Nubee WC hardly qualifies for "out of NP"    The snapper must have left the local worm beds.    Only gurnard and stacks of those around at the   moment,    Got 3 big Crays this morning and 28 carrots this afternoon but not a single snaps,     Two of NP best dinghy fishos had the same results.   No snaps but plenty of gurnard,     Right now the sea is stacked with blue mackerel,    Has anybody got any idea how to catch those

Friend rang to invite me to go to WC tomorrow.   Had to decline as we have too many fish waiting to be eaten already.   

Leave them for you guys.     DOC put new black metal buoys in today.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 11:41pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Aw come on Rainbow, it's pretty bloddy close

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deanoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 9:14am
deanoo View Drop Down
New User
New User

Am i allowed to ask where or what WC is, Or is it secret spot X
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 11:31am
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

where abouts in the naki you based deanoo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 12:28pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

It a still long journey for my old car.    

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 6:39pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Deano I'll probably be going to WC on Saturday (WC "White Cliffs") which is off Pukearuhe road past Wai-iti. The turn off is past Urenui. Let me know if you're keen. I'll probably go at sparrows fart (early) You keen Nubee?

Not sure what I'm doing Sunday as yet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 10:17pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll have to wait till sunday, got to work tomorrow (sat) have to see if banana boy wants to go and catch some fish for a change.
As you say I'll be up at sparrows fart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deanoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 1:41pm
deanoo View Drop Down
New User
New User

Nubee im down in waverly, a bit limited to the fishing spots its always windy down here i use a long line a bit no fun in it tho.

Ha Naki man how was the fishing thismorning. what was the weather like up there, it sarted out sh*t down here. Not to bad now tho still a bit breeze. Have you sorted out where your heading tomorow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 3:21pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Deanoo, a couple of us going out of wc tomorrow for an early start, a bit of a drive for you but your welcome to join us if you wish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 9:48pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Deano, weather and sea were good. I was joined by wondaboy and we launched about 6.15. Fishing started off slow in close so we ventured out to deeper water. As soon as we dropped the fish went nuts. My ledger wasn't even hitting the bottom before it got smacked and most retrieves were double ups of snapps around the 32cm mark. Must have pulled in excess of 50 snapper without a break and they weren't fussy about what bait you used. I reckon they would have taken a piece of my gumboot.
On they way in proved entertaining as the shore looked calm, so I just paddled in. I heard a wave forming behind me, so turned to look, only to be greeted by a nice curler about to dump on me, with Wondaboy sitting on top of it coming at me at a great rate of knots. This was going to end in tears. The wave flipped me around sideways, so I leaned into the wave, however I felt a thump, thump, thump as the front edge hit something and she was all over rover. Wondaboy surfed in OK, So we unloaded the Yaks and decided to have a bit of fun surfing the waves. A great day and Wondaboy and I both ended up with a bin full of snapps and gurnard each

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2007 at 10:21pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good on ya nakiman and nice to see that you have joined the nubee club of getting dumpedLOL my turn tomorrow! not sure about this wind though, seems to have kicked up a bitConfused how much out wide did you go??
Page  <12345 180>