Naki report

Page  <1234 180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 1:37pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went for a twilight fish last night at the port. Bite time was about 7.45. Anchored up at 7.00, It was raining but the sea was flat. Fish started biting about 7.30 and stopped about 9.15. Kept 2 snapps, with the biggest being 6lb and 5 gurnard. Released about 6 pannies around the 300mm mark and had a nice paddle back in the dark.

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deanoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 1:37pm
deanoo View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi All
Im new to this sport. Got my yak to pull long line out,and play in surf But got bord with that. Im in south naki and woundering if any of you boys had fished down these ways befor. I know boats do well down here, so dont think it be any different for a yak.
Thanks Deano

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluestone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 4:48pm
bluestone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where abouts in he south are you? coastal or round Hawera? Patea's good but dunno about launching
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 5:09pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Deanoo, try Ohawe Beach. I've fished there a few times and it can be a very productive area at certain times of the year. Quite often you only have to go out a couple of hundred metres to get onto the big boys.

DogFish
I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 6:23pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Theres been some big snapps caught in 3mtrs at Ohawe and they get good cod as well. Very shallow for miles out, good launching spot. I haven't had much luck there myself, however it's always been ****ty and windy when I've fished there. Not worth going if it's been raining as it dirtys up real quick.

NM
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deanoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 9:44pm
deanoo View Drop Down
New User
New User

H a all

Yeh i go to Waverley or Patea, I have heard that ohawe is a good surf casting beach too. What would be the best method to fish this plases. I am only just starting out so am limmited to what gear i have.
Thanks
Deano
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 10:25pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Been to WC today.   Big dumping shore break near HT quite scary but we got out.    Caught  about 15 pannie snaps, 7 gurnard, 2KY and 2 big grey sharks.    Westerly got up over 15knots and made home paddle very slow with some rollers coming at us 300-400m out nearly all the way from the waterfall to the ramp.   No bities seen.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 7:14am
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeh, had a look out of the port yesterday evening, took a mate out to christen his new yak. The wind made things a bit sloppy be manageable, some good sized gurnard about

Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 12:38am
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Decided to give White Cliffs a go on Sunday as the moon faze was good. Text Wondaboy to see if he was keen, however the reply was that he thought it might chop up as it was forecast for a strong westerly.
As I was on my own I decided to make it an early one and arose sleepy eyed at 4am to the sounds of gusty wind and proceeded to get ready. I had planned to be fishing by 6am however I soon realised that a surf launch in the dark might be a bit ambitious. I arrived at WC at 5.30, just as daylight was peeping through, to a flat sea with a foot high wave and very little wind. A mental note was made as the sand had shifted dramatically leaving a 2.5mtr to 3mtr drop to the low tide and that the surf could prove a bit dumpy at high tide. I paddled around for a while checking out spots and finally anchored at about 7am. within 10min the bites started and soon a wee snap was released. I then proceeded to catch snap after snap after snap, keeping the odd one as they were all over 300mm. then the ledger nodded, this felt like a better fish and soon a nice 7.5lb was in the bin. The stray line screamed, then rested. I waited a few seconds then set the hook. Yes, Bu**er too keen. Re-baited the stray line with 1/4 of a kahawai and flicked it 30mtrs into the burly trail. I was hooked up on the ledger and was reeling in when the stray line sang again. I popped the ledger in the holder still bouncing and set the stray line. After 6 or 7 minutes  a nice snap around 16lb arrived at the side of the yak. As he was coming in I could see he was only just hooked and I new that I would have to gaff him to get him in the yak. As I was mainly looking for table fish I gabbed the trace, gave it a couple of quick tugs and off he swam. I finished the day catching about 50 snapps, keeping 10 for the bin and a little trev as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Young Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 9:25am
Young Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice fish there. Hope im as succesful when i get my yak lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MtBadfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 10:45am
MtBadfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice catch indeed NM.
I really have to get down to the naki for a fish one day! Might have to spend a few hours practice in the surf here first
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 5:59pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MtBadfish

If you come down, let us know.
Don't worry too much about the surf as there is normally a hidden bay with easy access no matter what the wind and the Naki boys don't mind showing you the spots.

We've got a comp coming up in April - we're just sorting out a few final details and it should be a great weekend. The big thumpers will be around then so there should be some good action

NM 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 6:52pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good catch, you naki guys setting the standards as usual.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 7:48pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey Nakiman, you sure you you released that snapps? or is that another way of saying it fell offWinkLOL.
hopefully the weather will be good enough on the weekend for a trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 8:51pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Na Nubee, It was released to grow bigger for the compWink You and me know the place

NM

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 9:34pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do ya think it can put on 14lbs by thenBig%20smile well done for the release ClapThumbs%20Up

dont tell doc about the spot they might close it down

NB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 9:48pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nubee, If I keep feeding him he willLOL, anyhow going by a couple of the peel outs,  his great, great grand daddy was there

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 11:47pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Lots of fish off the port at the moment.    Went out on a falling tide in the middle of today to get a bit of fishing in before the weather craps out tomorrow.    Still 3m swell but little wind.   Water quite dirty from the dredge or swell but the fish were there.    In 3 hours I hooked some 25 gurnard and about 15 pannie snaps.    Took home limit of each.

Make the most of this glut guys as such handy fishing wont last.

Rainbow

Oh yes, I nearly forgot.    Busted the rod when two snapper hit the baits simultaneously.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2007 at 8:28pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Naki yakkers

Rebel Sports is having a 25% off rod sale this Saturday.   Perfect timing to replace my broken rod. 

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2007 at 9:45pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done there Rainbow. Seems to be a never ending supply of pannie snapps around at the momment

How exactly did you bust your rod

I'm heading up to Mokau for four days. Hope the weather gods are kind.

NM

Page  <1234 180>