Naki report

Page  123 180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naki report
    Posted: 27 Aug 2006 at 10:22pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, with the weather looking like it was going to be sh*t all weekend and some of the Naki boys not able to get out for 3 to 5 weeks, things were only fair to middlingConfused and I was starting to fear for for the families of these self proclaimed hunter / gatherers. Friday night the sea looked good and the boys were ringing to see what the haps were for Saturday. However with the forecast looking like crapDead and the swell 2 to 3 metres we decided to see what Sunday brought. As predicted, we woke Saturday morning with the sea looking like something from the Wahine disasterDead. By afternoon the weather had changed and an outing for the boys on Sunday looked possible, so a trip to WC was planned.Clap

Wondaboy and I arrived at WC, to find Nubee already there, with a concerned look on his face (I think he'd forgotten his brown pantsWink). A quick survey revealed a ****ty sea with more colour than my hearty beef soup and waves forming and capping for quite a distance out . This called for a more in-depth survey from a higher vantage point, where we could get a better look of spot X. After 15 minutes of deliberating, convincing ourselves that the sea would clean up and that the surf wasn't really that bad, we decided to give it a go. However, once down on the beach staring at the chocolate waves, three not so brave fishermanEmbarrassed decided that they were not so keen. (I'm sure those waves were snickering and whispering, "common I dear you") So we set off to bell block beach, where it seemed a little cleaner and the surf was average. B.H had texted and he was on his way. Wondaboy, Nubee and I decided to set off, with all three copping a full frontal waveOuch, but finally we were off on our fishing adventureThumbs Up. We paddled around for a while looking for good signs, however compared to WC this looked like a desertThumbs Down. We anchored and almost instantly the spikies arrived. After throwing many spikies and red cod back, I suggested we go for the trifecta. B.H rose to the occasion and soon reeled in an eelEmbarrassed. With midday looming Nubee reeled in the first snapsBig smile, followed by a KY. Wondaboy and I were packing up when B.H pulled up a snaps and Nubee followed his lead, so we dropped anchor again. Soon I Had a snaps in the bin , followed by a KY. Wondaboy pulled in a pannie and that was shortly followed by a nice 9.5lb snaps on an SPBig smile (how the hell that fish could see that SP in that ****, I'll never knowShocked). We decided to call it a day and head in. B.H and Nubee were in first, with Nubee getting trashed in the surf DeadCryand was reportedly lying face down in threeLOL inches of water when he panickedShocked, realizing that the water wasn't deep enough for his PFD to offer any assistance. The rest of us managed to get in safelyWink.

A couple of pics showing the surf that trashed NubeeWinkLOL.
Don't despair Nubee, next week we are planning a trip to the indoor heated pool. Keep away from the deep end as those boys doing bombs create quite a surfWink

bellblockaugust2006.jpg

Wondaboy determining the degree of difficulty required to conquer this surf. Don't get water in your gumboots WondaboyLOL

bbnubeesdemise2006.jpg

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 7:17am
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A good report there Naki man, and a very enjoyable day, well done wondaboy, nice fish mate.

Nakiman, Im suprised that you would go to another beach on your way home and take those shots instead of posting a pic of the white, thundering wall of crashing water that I ALMOST sucessfully rode home!

fore shame. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard-Yakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 8:13am
Hard-Yakka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

LMAO!
Nice banter guys :)
9.5 is pretty sweet on the yak! Ive never caught anything bigger than 5-6 , cant wait for the double figure snap on a yak!

Cheers for the report NM :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 6:30pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nubee, one day i'll teach you how to sing to fish and calm the seaWink

as posted by Nubee
thundering wall of crashing water that I ALMOST sucessfully rode home!LOLClap

And then you woke upShocked
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 6:47pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Naki man, a 6 inch wave can still thunder and crash!Dead

I'll take you up on the singing but is there any point in me being able to calm the sea?Question the result is still the same!Cry

Maybe I'll have better luck next week? thinking about changing my name to tippa!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2006 at 7:53pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Need to update the Naki report lest the northern yakkers think we have sold our yaks.

Early cray patrol netted only crabs and an octopus.    So after lunch I paddled out of the harbour and got straight into fish.    In three hours I kept 20 gurnard and 8 snaps around 35cm.     I got home just in time to beat a monster thunderstorm with rain, hail and cannon like thunder.

Come on Naki Boys the fish are out there that is if you arnt legless after tonight.

Anyway I wish you all a Happy New Year and lots of rod benders for 2007

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2007 at 4:27pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rainbow good going. I should have been there.
Ventured out in that hell wind this morning. I didn't think my anchor would hold out in the full force of the wind (probably would have ended up in Ausie) so I sat behind the breakwater and managed to net 3 1kg gurnard.

Even the stink boats came in close

When the hell is this wind going to stop

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 5:54pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ventured to WC today with the new GPS that Santa bought me to see if I could find find some new X spots. I had intended to paddle out past the reserve however even with next to no swell I decided paddling 3.7k out sea with a strong off shore wind was not advisable. Paddled around for a while trolling a blue fox with FF checking for new locations and managed to hook up on a couple of kahawai for fresh bait. With the wind velocity growing i decided to drop anchor inside the reserve in the shelter of the cliffs. It wasn't long before the first pannie was in the bin and a couple more followed, one being a nice 5 pounder. The ledger nodded and I set the hook, this was a better fish and had the distinctive nod of a big snapps. I wasn't making much ground and I remembered that I was using the traces I had on the day before. Bu**er, a bust off, should've put new traces on.AngryCry Then the stray line slowly bent over and slowley peeled out. I set the hook and the battle was on, however this felt more like a shark. This was confirmed when a 1.5mtr shark surfaced. A couple of quick holiday shots and he was cut free. Hook ups on sharks continued until I run out of gear, so it was time for home with 4 snapps and 2 Kahawai.
Great to get back out on the water.

Not sure what type of shark these are

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 7:05pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Their your type of shark my man!

took a mate of mine out of the port for the first time today ( he's keen to get a kayak but borrowed his mates for a go).

Apart from the wind which wouldnt make up it's mind, not a bad day, we both came home with a few gurnard so that was a bonus and nice to see him cath on his first attempt.Thumbs%20Up
Go fishing or visit the mother in law!! What does she look like again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 8:28pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nubee, nice to see you introducing another Nakiite to yak fishing.   Dogfish and I enjoyed the company of JB on compassionate home leave from the JAFA penal colony.    Fishing was a bit slow but we all ended up with a decent haul of grunters with a few panny snaps thrown in.    Dogfish at last got his new Elite wet and was rewarded with a good haul too.

Naki Man.   You were lucky you did not get spotted by DOC as the Orca has been up there for the last two days going out from NP just after 6am.

Probably you must have been loaded up (with snaps, bilge water and super sized gumboots) with so little free board showing that  DOC's new radar could not pick you up.     The ultimate green stealth semi sub.   Could have military applications.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 9:09pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff nubee! Excellent to hear that your mate "scored" on his first time out and no doubt is now itching to go buy a SOT fishing yak.

Rainbow, my "good haul" wasn't as many as I had thought... final tally was 14 x Grunters and 4 x Snapper.

Here's a shot of Rainbow & JB at the "Carrot Patch".

DogFish

I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 9:29pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nubee Long time no hear. Thought mr whitey must have got you. Sounds like you guys had a good day

Rainbow, I wasn't in the reserve, however I wish they would hurry up and get those bouys in place.

I did see a boat fishing up there and I would bet my bottom dollar that they were in the reserve

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 9:53pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Nubee. (and anyone else that is keen to do battle with them boys accross the ditch) The Ausie comp is up and running again, starting this saturday. Rules have changed so check them out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 7:28am
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes, I wasnt aware it was a sit in kayak that he had borrowed until we turned up in the morning, this is why you found us tucked in behind  the shelter of the break water.

He is gagging to get a SOT for him self but has to persuade she who holds the purse strings.

Nakiman, I will be doing my best to stuff it to the aussies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 9:46am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hey NM I must have misread your post.    By "inside" the reserve you probably meant that to be between the beach and the 500m parallel offshore reserve boundary.    AM I right?????

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 5:28pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rainbow. Yes you are correct, there is a 750m strip between the beach and the reserve that goes through the waipingau (probably spelt wrong) stream. There are places that are 10mtrs deep and some good structure that should still produce good snapper. The bouys aren't set up yet so you need to be carefull. I was using a GPS.

Looks like it will be a cracker day tomorrow for a fish

NM

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nubee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 10:05pm
nubee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another day off work eh nakiman!

Hoping to get out for a gurnad pull after my days graft if possible
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 11:47pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nubee nubee wrote:

Another day off work eh nakiman!

Hoping to get out for a gurnad pull after my days graft if possible

Nubee "GRAFT" Great Rest After Fishing Today

You need to get another Job, It interferes with your fishing too much

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 10:05pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Great day's fishing, my arse.    Was up at Seal Rock area.    Westerly set running strongly but fishing very slow.   No snapper only 8 gurnard with one baracouta following every fish I pulled up.    Bait time came and went without any change.    Went out to Saddleback after that to pick up a few KY for bait and berley but despite a strong current and 20 knot westerly none were feeding.    Quick trip home on the back of a strong set and a good tailwind.    Saw a few yakkers fishing around the islands.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 11:43pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rainbow. When i said it was going to be a cracker day for a fish, I was talking about the weather and according to the swell map, it was going to be .25 to 1mtr swell from the Cape around to Ohawe, with 5 to 15 Knot winds. There are more places in the Naki to fish than just the port. Hence Jason and I went to the cape. Yes the fishing was a bit slow however Jason took home 18 Blue cod. I took home 8, although I through back about 10 keepers. At mid day I was 3k out drift fishing and there was hardly enough drift to peel out my two lines. The wind did get up a bit after that.

In my opion and going by my fishing records it is not normally good for fishing around the full moon, unless you're twilight/night surfcasting.

Page  123 180>