Naki report

Page  <1 177178179180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 5:40pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

After 4 fruitless trips out wide I was finally rewarded with 5 Albies.    Thank God for that as I was starting to think that the Pacific Raiders had cleaned them out.    Mind you the numbers are definitely going down from what they were 15 years ago.   

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Albies are beaut, enjoy your treats from the deep after many miles, Rainbow.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:39pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done herb, was it down Tuna Alley or at 65m dept 😅 whats the water temp out wide
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Shad     Blue water right in and tuna at around 60m.     Mixed bag with some around 7kg and others near coke bottle size.    Bashed against headwind most of the 30km+ trip and both of us were completely buggered when we landed.   However that is a side issue and not worth complaining about.    
Brent, our forth donkey hunter  team member has missed out as he is packing to go to Fjordland to start on his circum  paddle of the South Island.     Has finished the North Island last year, which obviously wetted his appetite.      What will be next?    Steward Island or the Chathams????     Anyway gave him our best wishes.   He should troll a lure up the West Coast for a bit of Blue Fin fun.
Looks like Saturday or Sunday could be on for another go.    Give me a ring if you can escape from  the salt mines.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sprout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:54am
sprout View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Herb, Shad. Bloody good outing by the sounds of it, good to see you still at the big km paddles!

Went for a hunt a couple of weeks ago with out anything to show. Was eyeing up the weekend too so might bump into you, Sunday and Monday forecasts seem to be the go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:29pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Been out yesterday and the day before.    Covered a huge mileage in ideal water temp and blue water for meagre results.    Got two small tuna each time but lost a couple as well.     tuna few and far between and unseasonably small with only a few bigger models.    Lot of empty water between strikes.   Have not seen a single workup with all strikes almost a surprise.     IMO so far this season is like no other for the last 20 years.     May change but I have a funny feeling that it may not.    

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 11:09pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Similar conditions today out wide off waitara, I was in a boat today, petrels sitting on the water, few shearwaters flying but no workups. Haven't seen and KW feeding, and when bottom fishing they normally are being caught. 🙄🤔
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 1:12pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Out wide Sat. and Sunday for one 8.7kg albacore.    Conditions were perfect but the albies were largely absent.    Bit of a worry as this is the middle of the tuna season in Taranaki.    Talked to quite a few boat fishers out there who were also trolling.    None of them had caught tuna.    Seems more marlin about than tuna at the moment.    Hope things improve for the tuna comp on Saturday.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 4:22pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish Herb, think I threw in the Towel too early Cry. Had two hits at 72m one lure cut off and lost the other fish after a good run. Weather look ok for the comp . My kayak was  stolen this morning from the property, contacted police and hoping it will be seen along our coast. Its a Prowler 4.3 ,orange and yellow colour, has three scotty rod holder basses mounted around transducer tube, in the center hatch I have added a small round  hatch which has a alli bracket to hold battery. In the left foot well area the plastic has been repaired and some plastic has been melted from a piece of hot steel. Center hatch lid is flat with bait board and a aluminum bracket for fishfinder .
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:36pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nothing is safe anymore.     Will keep an eye out for it Shad.    Had a couple of cray pots stolen which a mate at Mahia Peninsula a few years later.    Had my name melted in the buoy so could not be removed.    Watch on TrdeMe.   Lot of stolen goods turn up there.
Tuna Hunt Saturday.     You can borrow one of my kayaks.
Cheers
Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:33am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Best tuna day of the season so far.     NP Kayak Fishing Club's Tuna Hunt went off with a bang       Must have been over 30 yackers on the water with everybody catching tuna.   Best one of 8.4kg was caught by a younger member who was stocked.     I landed 13, a mix of small and solid fish.    Two small ones released, which was not easy removing the sharp trebles without a net and not using the gaff.    Pulled in the lures as I was running out of storage.     Thanks to the kind guy who carried my heavy fish bin to my trailer.      Lots of meat for the freezer and a year's supply of prime snapper bait.   

Fish were mostly in 50-65m but on the way in I saw some rolling in 38m.    Those that decided not to come really missed out on a cracker day.     As usual the club turned on the right weather , lots of fish and a well organised event. 

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Herb. Great to have the weather and fishing aligned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:44pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

if anyone is offered a Yellow/Red Ocean Kayak 4.3 with a melted mark in the foot well it is stolen goods.     Please report it to the police with any information about the seller.    This is my mate's only kayak and has kept his family in Kai Monana for years.   We need many eyes keeping a lookout.     Even if you just see it by chance. 

Thank you for any help

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:02pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome tuna hunt, we were all paddling past someone who was hooked up, and then we had screaming reels, lots of lost fish from hooks being pulled, its the first outing I had to stop trolling on the way in, tuna were everywhere, closest was 38m👍

LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 10:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Slow tuna season so far.    Covered 167km on 5 trips for only a couple of good albies.     I am starting to wonder if the albies follow the decline of the yellow fin?     They were once very common in NZ but are now rare.      More and more super sainers and long liners in the Pacific hoovering them up???????

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:02am
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fat donkeys Herb, must have given the Okuma sets a good run 👏👍
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 12:36pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

After a week of snapper bashing at Papaaroha on the Coromandel I returned to Taranaki and the sight of blue water close in at Awakino.     I needed a couple of days to get over the aching body and await the next good forecast for a tuna hunt.     As it always happens the tuna had been around in good numbers during the week I was away and the Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club had a ball with over 40 albies landed.     Finally on Friday the forecast was fine and I went out by myself.     At 40m the water turned cobalt blue and recoded 21 degrees.     Saw several bait-balls on the way out but no bird action or tuna sign.     Passed over Tuna Alley without any action or sign but was hit at 74m with a double strike.     All went well with one going deep and the other out wide so managed to land them both.     Back in action and within 10 minutes another double strike but this time the fish came together and tangled the lines.     Landed one but lost the other.     Still in the 70 m zone I had another double     Disaster struck with one screaming off and causing an overrun as for some reason the gear lever on the reel was flicked into free spool.    The line knotted and the fish busted off.      The remaining one dived deep and could not be budged for at least 10minutes.     It was a big donkey and only come up a couple of winds at a time only to dive again.    Eventually I got it half way up when the line went slack.    I reeled in and saw that the fish had been hooked on the teaser which I had armed with a single hook.    It had broken the 40lbs mono at the knot tied to the swivel.    Well thats how it goes success cant always be  guaranteed.      I had to retire the rod with the overrun and was back trolling the 70m area with one lure.      All of a sudden two Orcas rolled alongside my yak no more than 10m away giving me a hell of a fright.   They dived before I could get the camera ready.     More of the pod appeared nearby but as hard as I paddled I could not get close enough for the money shot     All I got were photos of them briefly rolling 40odd meters away.     They were hunting and this allowed me to keep up with them for nearly half an hour.     I have no idea if they were after the tuna but I had no more hook-ups for the day.     All up a mixed day with 3 tuna, gear trouble and orca highlights.    I was too busy to think of Omicron or Ukraine. 
Will post orca pix soon.
Cheers 

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote secala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 7:12am
secala View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great day Herb. Unfortunately Lake Dunstan doesn't quite compare to the Naki offerings. Hope to see you up there very soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 8:11pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Pictures of Orcas and 8 kg Albert

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 8:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done Rainbow, and great photos, you are inspirational.
Page  <1 177178179180>