Naki report

Page  <1 172173174175176 180>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:32am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yes great day out there Shad      Love your new, top secret kingi weapon.     Good on you doing the R&D while we were sleeping at the wheel!!!!!!!   After several of your hook ups I called out on the radio: "what is this guy doing that I cant?"

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:39am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Come to think I have read somewhere that this is the rig some of the top yak hunters are using in South Africa for trolling for pelagics.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:47am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

OK I found the article but note that these guys were using doubles instead of trebles?   What to you recon is better?     Braid or mono?   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:05pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Herb what I was doing right was getting my rod tip to vibrate, telling me that the Chinese made lure that you gave me was tracking right. Thumbs Up
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:11pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Every lure has got a sweet spot.
Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:30pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

There are currently lots of snapper off the port.      I got a bin full in 30m with a few gurnard and KW to top it off.    

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 6:41pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good snapper and gurnard just outside the port

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the report rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ripples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 9:41am
ripples View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, just to flag with ya'll in the Naki our Eastern BOP annual kayak fishing comp will be held later in the year for 2019. The date set down is Saturday the 4th May as usual with the briefing the night before at the Whakatane Sports Fishing Club. The reason for the later date for the comp is a better chance of settled weather and the fishing is way better. This will be our 10th comp and we are looking at making it the best ever with input from all our main sponsors. Details of categories and prizes will be out soon. A new section for the biggest snapper over 60cm (catch & release) will be included.
Further enquiries contact me or send e mail.

Jeff Symonds
President EBOP Kayak Fishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 12:15pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Tuna have arrived

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:53am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Three of the old fart brigade paddled out to 80m and got 4 good albies around 70m.   Okuma gear performed faultlessly as always.
Cheers and a Fishy New Year to all
Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:10am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice. Are you sponsored by Okuma 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Apart from the shirt and cap I got when I sent them some photos, otherwise No!   However, because of the reasonable price and good quality I have used their gear for a long time, which is an important issue for a pensioner like myself.    To be honest I don't even buy their best rods and am happy to use the X-Factor rods for both sea fish and trout.    The only ones I ever broke where two when I accidentally backed my car over them.   Cheap as and good enough for me to swear by them.    
For me gear only plays a minor part in fishing, in contrast to the saying "All the gear and no idea."

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 3:05pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Staying with the low cost gear theme.    Last year I imported 67 bibbed hard bodied Rapala type lures for tuna trolling from China for under NZ $100.     Some hooks are crap but otherwise the tuna love them.    Why pay $15 -30 for something similar locally??? 
At that price I don't worry if a mako or blue bites one off.
Rainbow  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 3:11pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Oh yeah those Xfactor rods are great. I just bought 2x Shimano Sienna reels $54 each so I know about cheap 😉 and they are decent reels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sprout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:34pm
sprout View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good on ya  Rainbow  Clap - great way to get the season underway.

I've dabbled in the Tuna on and off over the years but have grand plans for this year, will see you out there no doubt. I have some Chinesium rapala style lures to test out too LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, first time I've popped my head into here in ages. What a cool forum.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:50am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top effort and fish Herb! Great for your health and fitness getting out Kayak fishing like you doWink You probably don't remember me but 38 years ago you were my Boss On Egmont National Park. I was Doing tracks and Hut Maintenance for a  year or so.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 2:43pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Geoff   Unfortunately I do not know who SG is but you are not the only one who tells me they worked in the park.    With the help of a very smart lady in the labour Department I took on up to 50 troubled unemployed youths at a time and with their help repaired tracks, built bridges and renewed most of the huts.    While at first I only looked at them as cheap labour after a while I realised what this work in the wonderful park did for them and helped them turn their lives around.    After six months they were fit could organise themselves learned how to work as a teem and became job ready.    Even now after all those years I occasionally run into some grown man who tells me what you did and how it sorted him out.     I recently met with the new minister of labour and told him about this scheme for the DOC estate, which would help many troubled unemployed youths.      lets hope he takes it up because like you I know it worked.
Cheers
Herb 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sprout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
sprout View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Herb,

Thanks for the help getting me up to speed with all the radio jargon yesterday morning.

Went out to 60m before I turned back as that wind showed no sign of dropping so had to keep some energy for the paddle home, lots of kingfish sign around saddleback though but they weren't interested in a live kahawai or the 5 lure options I had.

Adding an upgrade this week and had a couple of quesitons if that is ok.

Where did you get the aluminium for the base plate? And forgot already, who to contact about the carbon firbe tubes?

Ben

Page  <1 172173174175176 180>