Sinking Ships

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sinking Ships
    Posted: 21 May 2003 at 1:26pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No this isn't about becoming terrorists.

I was just browsing some shipwrecks on the net and was thinking instead of having all these huge areas of our ocean turned into reserves why don't they do something a little more constructive and sink a few old ships or something else where fish and other marine life could thrive in an artificial reef type habitat.

A set distance around these sunken objects could be designated as mini reserves. I was thinking if we had a number of these fish oasis's in an area the fish life may increase.

I would see this as a win/win situation. But I doubt the anti-fishing groups would even listen to such an idea. I can see it would be an expensive exercise and doubt the government would let us put any of our money towards this. Also, I don't see a huge surplus of ships sitting around either.

What happens to all those lost containers that are floating around the oceans? Join a few of them together, send them to the bottom and you'd have a mini reef type thing happening.

Interested to see what you guys think of such an idea? What do you think 'eBait'? (that's if that's still your name and if you're still a member of this great forum)
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2003 at 1:48pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not really the answer IMHO Kingfishsi. You see, fish life won't increase, it will just be concentrated onto that area. What is really needed is a reduction in commercial take, to REDUCE the DECREASE in stocks. Then you would have a few redundant commercial boats ripe for sinking. THEN we have a win/win situation!  And we wouldn't have to make the FADs reserves either.

Mars

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2003 at 3:17pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What we need is a few cheap easy to make net snaggers, an old cortina would probably work.

Once they had lost a few nets in an area the trawlers would stay away, youd have to go back and clean up the nets afterwards tho.

Also a geniticaly modified shark with a razor dorsal fin that could clean up the longlines

But Im probably going to far....I mean who would give up a cortina for such a job!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2003 at 3:44pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sunken trawlers make good net snaggers!
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2003 at 4:06pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a good way to start a reef is to pick up some used tyres for the local tyreman tie them together with chain and drop them in a possie that everyone knows there is no reefs in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2003 at 9:20pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

nah just tie a whole lot of greenies together and set them in concrete great fads...... bet they would even make a noise that would attract whales for 5min's as well...... you now all that whaling as they went down........ ...

Cheers Lethal