Castlepoint LBG ??

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 3:49pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple of us spearo's in Welly have been keen on a mission over here for a few seasons, hard to get the right weather.

They catch yellow fin offshore when the bluewater is down the coast and all the little tuna quite regular.

My dad is sure he saw a pair of spearfish further down the coast at Kahu rocks many years back while diving. He saw some big ocean going turtles not long after so I always half believed him, then another spear reckoned he'd seen a spearfish there also.

Castle Point
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 6:04pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice pic Paul. Shows the notorious parts of the reef just right - swell crashing over.
Welcome to the forums Pete. I see you've been lurking there for a couple of years, just as I have been on your boards!
I knew you would be the guy to talk to regarding this reef. Don't want any more names etched into the signs...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:41pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

hell looks pretty mean out there dont it.

Can ya fish the seaward ledges all the way down to the gut?
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2006 at 9:46am
lambo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

its a safe place when there is no swell. check the Castlepoint marine forcast b4 you go, if its 1mtr or less from north or sth then its good.
its the same as driving on a road thats killed people. if you are sensible, prepared and careful there are no problems.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2006 at 10:06am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hey Pete nice to have ya here mate

just out of interest - where on the map is the dodgy part of the reef?
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2006 at 3:55pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

JK, can you see the white water washing over the ledge that separates the lagoon from the ocean in 2 places? They are the spots NOT to be...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 3:13pm
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mars Mars wrote:

JK, can you see the white water washing over the ledge that separates the lagoon from the ocean in 2 places? They are the spots NOT to be...
It's the 1st gap that is 'jumpable',or a real quick scramble down a bit and back up, the 2nd you need springs on ya feet...
This is what happened to the guy  when he misjudged an incoming wave at it, and was in the middle of getting across, when the wave caught him, and just washed him into the lagoon, which because of the photo height, you can't see the churned up motion of the water, that it becomes after the huge volume of the waves, constantly break over on a rough day, and has  that lagoon working like a washing machine, creating all sorts of problems for anyone foolish to be caught in it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mr.trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2006 at 1:13pm
mr.trout View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks for the response Pete and the rest of the guys. Just got back from an extended work trip( + fishing of course), hence no response for some time ! Definitely want to hit it when the weather gets a bit more reasonable. Will certainly be in touch soon Pete. I like the sound of those sharks and other you speak of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtremefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 9:03pm
xtremefisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

growing up in the area spent a lot of time fishing castlepoint  and the storys are true I do remember 20 odd years ago on a couple occasions seeing big game fish from the reef a marlin cruising along not far out and a large scool of tuna passing by I have seen some big sharks rays and as posted not that uncommon to get the bonus of a cray tangled up in the line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Impressive, check the video FF to 0:50.

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 3:00pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i grew up in palmy used to fish castle point quite alot, havent for 15 odd years though. used to catch heaps of kahawai, the odd kingy on livies, got bitten off by heaps of sharks, mate got a pup hapuka and ledgers dropped straight off the side got crayfish quite often. the small gap you see nailed my mate big time, he hesitated for only a second then ran and just got wiped out by a the wave, luckily for him there was an old rusty steel pole in the rocks( its proberly rusted away by now) that he got washed into and stopped him, otherwise he would have ended up in the lagoon.  he only went around 3m from memory down the rock face but lost most the skin down the left hand side of his body, had to get him to masterton hospital real quick. be careful out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 1:40pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody hell, those waves coming over the top are wicked
Would be truly impressive to see when huge sets pound that area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ITrY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:36pm
ITrY View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, just moved to masterton. Only used to fishing the sand and stony beaches of hawkes bay and Manawatu , any tips on rigs for castle point? Thinking ledger with a 4-5 oz sinker on bottom.... No need for sand sinkers here? Completely unfamiliar with the area
Page  <12