Fly Swap

Page  <1 456
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 6:41am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm such a good organiser...

'specially when Clark does it.. LOL LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 1:53pm
ian View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

finally hit the water yesterday, tried some of the gems supplied. Craig's fly (perhaps we should call it "Craig's Eyetime"!) was hit 2nd cast with this lovely snapper. Even Clark's fly got eaten, not once either, accounted for several nice kahawai. Also a bunch of about 5 kings on the 8wt to around 6lb on clousers and a few trevs, a superb day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 3:04pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff Ian....well done mate.

Did you bridle rig the kingi as a skip bait teaser? Bring up the monster from hell to have a lash at. (only kidding)

Nice pics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 5:12pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice....

Clark
(Mine got eaten... that wasn't supposed to happen...)
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mattml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 9:04pm
Mattml View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish mate. Looks like a good day for it. Did you get that stuff in your mailbox? NC trip all planned?? Try and catch up before you take off.

Mat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 9:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's cool Ian. Looks like you got the one big fly I tied 'cause I ran out of size 2 Gamy's. Obviously it did the job Smile.

Impressed by the fact you found some rat kings in cold water. They've all gone out to sea here. Great spot you've got there.

Looking forward to some big reds moving soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 11:43pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

mmmm nice reel tooWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2006 at 2:40pm
ian View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

KTB, well spotted, reel worked very nicely. I was very pleased to see the kings, amazed for this time of year to catch them. had a few takes too with my strip and leave technique , allows a visual take and a very pissed off fish is witnessed.
roll on summer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mattml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 9:02am
Mattml View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gave most of the fly swap flies a swim on the weekend out the coromandel. All worked a treat on the kahawai that were around in huge numbers.............but it was Mark K's clouser (black over white) that got smashed by a kingie. Unfortunately in was one of those unstopable ones that rubbed me off on the reef before I had time to gain any control. Maybe we need to get another one of these swaps up and runnin.

Mat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 5:05pm
ian View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

so it was a couple of pounds then Matt? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 5:19pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's a tentative fly swap in the freshwater forum  was going to let run and then do another Saltwater, but if folks are keen for a saltwater one then I see no reason why not....
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mattml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 6:21pm
Mattml View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

............probably pushing 3lb mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote karm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 8:50pm
karm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mattml,

good to hear the fly worked

I am a bit obsessed with kingis

I think I might have the fishing.net  record  for most time, effort, angsting, analysis $$$$ spent etc etc  for most minimal return on catching kingis!!!

But they sure are exciting when they hit

cheers

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mattml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 9:40pm
Mattml View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah next time I hope to stay connected for a bit longer.

Can you list the materials you used in that fly. Wouldn't mind tying some more up for the next expedition.

Cheers
Mat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote karm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2006 at 5:12pm
karm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Matt,

materials as follows

no 2 flys I tied were the same - but all very similar , and the colours/materials are  supposed to imitate piper colours -
 moohandoo/milan  assures me that piper to kingis  are the same as peanut slabs/marshmallow bikkies/tiramasu desert/haggendaz icecream  etc etc for humans

Started with either
Flashabou Prune
or Holagraphic Blue
then big fly fibre TB Blue &/or  another flashabou ( sorry don't have colour on packet) but is a light aqua blue
then small bits of any or all of following
flashabou pearl violet/crystal flash lavender/krystal flash pearl violet/
finish with a white
big fly fibre white/hot shotz krystal hair/white bucktail
choose your size/ colour  of lead eyes ( i had yellow or red)
I used black thread

Also ,
when I tie my big piper imitations I use a Black Magic SWF shark hook

cheers

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mongreldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2006 at 7:16pm
mongreldog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey boys i got so sflys from this dude i fished with in the cape verdes he a wicked salmon fly fisho,,,any interest,,,,,not sure if they will suit kiwi style......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mongreldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2006 at 7:21pm
mongreldog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

oh cicada your package was sent yesterday ,,,,,,,,,,
Page  <1 456