Fly Swap

Page  <12345 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 7:27am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Fantastic sequence of shots there Kiwiandy thanks for that.

By the way Clark please remember to post up a pic showing a sample of each of the swapa flies before you send then all away as I am but 1 of the many lurkers to this thread that have an interest in what the Guru,s are using for SWFBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 10:14am
ian View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

kiwiandy, stunning sequence but couldnt you have wiated till the weather had warmed up here...its cruel!! I have often wondered abot a trip on eclipse or similar but they are A$3500 plus and add airfares etc. You leave me pretty convinced that teh fishing is superb though, well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 12:34pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Clark, is it nine or ten flies?? I've got nine hooks of the fly I'm doing so if there's ten it will have to be different size.

I'm doing a brookes blonde/surf candy cross with polarflash wing and large epoxy eyes on a size 2 Gamakatsu SL12S hook. Used to be a winner in springtime around the rivermouths.

Will post a pic soon. (I've done one - took me an hour Dead)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 1:24pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cold!!!????
Did the power go off in Auckland again?!!WinkBig smile
When do you risk the Coromandel with Mat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mattml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 3:11pm
Mattml View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Si,

The weather has conspired against us. Apparently it is blowing 40knots. Tying flys for Tahiti instead. Gotcha,gotcha,gotcha gotcha. At least they are quick and easy. I need another pattern to tie to keep me interested though. What else did you guys use on CI.

My flys are done will get them to you next week Clark. Didn't make it up to Auckland during the week mate?
Mat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote karm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 8:31pm
karm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Am i missing something ??

How do I see kiwiandys pics

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 8:42pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Seems someone has moved them to the Cape york threadConfused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwiandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2006 at 10:14pm
kiwiandy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Karm,
I stuffed up and made all my posts on this thread last night! They've since been shifted to the proper thread as you know by now.
Cheers,Andy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 5:25am
Gold
Gold

Luckily I gotchad for the swap. Its about all I can do!
As they stated on that other aussie siteConfused xmas island fish are not fussy and any sparsley dressed fly will nail fish, just have a selection of colours and weights.......but I reckon a small crab pattern would be killer as would some form of worm. I know Waitakidan used a minipuff one day and slayed them and I tied some turds to try but never did. One of the guys on our trip used a rubber band tied into a worm style pattern and had extra interest from big trigger fish.
I am going to try to ty some Borski style flies as they look cool.CoolBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mattml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 9:43am
Mattml View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't give me that. Thoses kingy flies you sent up look awesome.

Ian lent me Bob Vererka's book. I can see why you were raving about it. Great selection of saltwater flys.

Mat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 8:58pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Boulder Boulder wrote:

Seems someone has moved them to the Cape York threadConfused

Guilty as charged... I was a bit pushed on time last night and thought they should be moved (As Andy had indicated) I am on dial up (Live in the boonies) and it took about 35 minutes to do that so when done I just buggered off to do some tying as I am WAYYY Behind on fly orders. Looks like it'll be two more days and I'll have caught right up.... just as the guides orders come in for the coming seaosn... shouldn't moan I';ll save that for when I'm not busy....

Great photos Andy, thanks for sharing... for the Fly Swap....

I have recieved Ian's lot... bloody impressive! Anyone want to forward theirs the address is box 2087 Taupo.

Matt, I should make it to Auckland on Wednesday... I tried to ring your cell but no answer. I'll post if we have time to have a bit of a catch up and a hello with the Auckland folks at least while I'm in that big old city I just LOVE!Ouch

Clark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 9:16pm
ian View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the big old city aint that bad when i can catch kings on fly year round....except today! turned into a lesson on  trust Mr Metserice/swellmap et al, but we did get to have a practice cast, set up my new 12 wt, easily cast a full lenght teeny line with 1 back cast and utter finess (fishermen never lie...!) and compared very unscientifically which sinks quicker, ny 550gr teeny or Mat's t14, very very close but I think teh t14 wins, is thinnner for given density I suspect. Not the prettiest line to cast, we spooked some huge tarpon.........(yeah still imagining chasing silver!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 10:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mate, I am not knocking Auckland as such, in fact I reckon its about time some enterprising fella or fellaess started a SWF charter business doing fly fishing on the gulf like Justin does in Sydney http://www.sydneyflyfishing.com.au the fishing that close to a major metropolitan area is incredible. The number of clients I get every year who say "I have a 15 hour layover in Auckland what can I do"? is incredible and I wish to hell I could steer them to one of you folks for some Kahawai fishing!!!! But I'm a country boy to the point of being a country bumpkin and the traffic and the people and the stuff just messes with my head. I didn't mean any disrespect... just not my thing...

Also the 13 minute news item about a four hour power cut up there kind of annoyed me when followed by the 2 minute segment on the people in Canterbury (Home of the MIGHTY CRUSADERS!!!!) who went without for 14 days... but anyways...

I find the teeny heads sinks faster than anything, just bloody expensive around structure. I reckon T-14 and LC13 excel whenever you loose one....

Clark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2006 at 10:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Some members would prefer their fly photos not posted and I think it is only decent to respect that. I will photograph all flies but only post a photo of flies "en-Mass" in the first instance. If anyone wants detail after that and, if I have clearance from the tier, I will forward the photos individually.

Clark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Memorymaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 4:45pm
Memorymaker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Man I'm getting nervous about sending my effortsEmbarrassed,
never mind at least I gave it a crack and they do catch fish so I guess that's the main thing.Ermm
The real cool thing is I'll get 9 cha neat ones !! Thumbs Up
Fish don't make mistakes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 5:50pm
Gold
Gold

Hey Lionel
has that T-14 arrived yet with those flies?
Clark have my flies got there yet?
Bloody NZ post! I think they use sleds and huskies to get them to the post to the ferry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 8:55pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by out the back out the back wrote:

Man I'm getting nervous about sending my effortsEmbarrassed,
never mind at least I gave it a crack and they do catch fish so I guess that's the main thing.Ermm
The real cool thing is I'll get 9 cha neat ones !! Thumbs Up

Mate, that's the only thing. Fly swaps aren't contests, just a swap of stuff that works...

Clark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 8:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kiwitroutbum kiwitroutbum wrote:

Hey Lionel
has that T-14 arrived yet with those flies?
Clark have my flies got there yet?
Bloody NZ post! I think they use sleds and huskies to get them to the post to the ferry.

Yep arrived today. I now have yours and Ian's.

NZ POst charges .40c but only .05 cents if for postage... the balance is for storage....LOLLOLLOL

Clark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 10:46am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Clark,
Mine are virtually finished. Gotta go away for three days fishing though. Will send them next week.

Turned into a good exercise in how to speed up my tying..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 5:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Glad your tying is speeding upThumbs Up
Bit pissed over your three days fishing though.... Give them hell!!!

Clark
Page  <12345 6>