Hutchwilco Boat Show

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:16pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yeah we made the same observation about the price of the tinnies. A CSB Huntsman 7m was 150k or thereabouts, cheaper than tinnies of that size. Not my style of boat but very nice. The Extremes and Offshores were good but those Profiiles caught my eye, especially the 635. My mate Carey (Zukman) liked the smaller Profile with the orange wrap but that was because it was the same colour as his Triton.Can't argue with that, great logic! 

I didn't go this year but I do like those Profiles still ... very happy with mine after a bit over a year of use.  My only thoughts are that I should have gone a little bigger ... (but that is always the way with boats).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 11:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didn’t go either cause bridge was closed on and off Saturday and had wife’s 60th Saturday night.. But those profile boats are awesome. Seen a few recent profile models up close, including the  635HT. Finished beautifully.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:46am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BlackDog not displayed this year - are they finally kaput?

MAchina - do they exist in the real world, or are they display vessels only? - does anyone know if they have found a customer brave enough to stump up some cash for one?

Whitepointer - one of my favourites - didnt see them this time. Understandably a long way from their base in Gisborne to bring boats.

Challenger 650 - a well priced and attractive alternative to an alloy HT fishing boat for those who want f/glass.

Balex - still working hard at promoting their product. Am hearing about quite a few belt failures now - do they have a lifespan of 5 odd years before they fail perhaps?

Marco - their 'new' 650 was attractive. All of their boats very neatly fabricated - beautiful welding, minimal burning and distortion- as they have been for a long time. Obviously some very experienced tradesmen in their workshop.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:50am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went on the Sunday. Thought it was okay but average compared to years gone by. Prices have gone through the roof and didn’t buy anything at all.

Couldn’t find Lazercraft. Did see someone post about Southern being there though so likely the same boats. I thought the Offshore design was very similar to southern/lazer.

Extreme did put a lot of effort into their display. I was disappointed in Senators stand as I really love their boats.

Marco had some good boats,

Long gone are the days of decent affordable family boating options I think. It’s all about crazy designs and big prices nowadays. We may see a big swing back to fibreglass options like the sea nymphs and similar designs in the 70s for the average families if not already heading that way. For all the stick they get at least Fyran had a competitive option for families wanting to get out on the water before they went under.

Ah well that’s my rant over 😭😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 1:23pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

White pointer was there with 2 vessels
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 3:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Didn’t go either cause bridge was closed on and off Saturday and had wife’s 60th Saturday night.. But those profile boats are awesome. Seen a few recent profile models up close, including the  635HT. Finished beautifully.

It was my 585H you saw in the Tutukaka camp ground Shane.  (thanks for the mahi mahi - loved it).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 3:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

BlackDog not displayed this year - are they finally kaput?

yep, in receivership now BH.  (Also, I saw something where all their gear was being auctioned late last week).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:30pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

I went on the Sunday. Thought it was okay but average compared to years gone by. Prices have gone through the roof and didn’t buy anything at all.

Couldn’t find Lazercraft. Did see someone post about Southern being there though so likely the same boats. I thought the Offshore design was very similar to southern/lazer.

Extreme did put a lot of effort into their display. I was disappointed in Senators stand as I really love their boats.

Long gone are the days of decent affordable family boating options I think. It’s all about crazy designs and big prices nowadays. We may see a big swing back to fibreglass options like the sea nymphs and similar designs in the 70s for the average families if not already heading that way. For all the stick they get at least Fyran had a competitive option for families wanting to get out on the water before they went under.

The Offshore boats are built in Whangarei by Lasercraft
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

It was my 585H you saw in the Tutukaka camp ground Shane.  (thanks for the mahi mahi - loved it).

Nice to hear from you Tony. As a coastguard skipper you are in a position to be a great judge of boats… that craft of yours is a lovely boat and beautifully appointed, as in finished superbly and very practical. Best 6m boat I’ve seen.
I am a stabi fanboy for a long time but the way profile design and build theirs just seems more sensible and also just as well executed in terms of build quality.
I have looked at the one smaller than yours with a soft top. Although with all rain we have now days a hard top is even more attractive…. but you probably then want a boat your size if putting a hard top on.
Would love to go for a ride sometime. 
Cheers Shane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If I had the money I would have bought the 635HT Profile on the spot.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have neither spare funds or space to park one Smudge, so you are probably ahead of me. Plus be tricky launch at some of places I put in. But yeah really nice boats… credit to our marine industry, we build some really cool boats.
Also saw Offshore facebook walk through their boats at show. Do feel I missed out a bit not going this year …not same as actually being able to walk on to one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:49pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder if I could get some Profile boat 635H stickers to put on my old girl… the stabi ones have virtually worn off after last 20 years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:52pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really liked the Styrda 5m amphibious boat. Perfect to take all around NZ and launch anywhere you want. 200k price tag was a bit out of my league , but when you looking at  $130,000 for a 6m Ht it doesn't seem so out the gate.
Enjoyed the show. Chatting to Simon from Surtees he said it was the busiest Saturday he can remember. I can never seem to Abe able to win the bloody gate prize -Bugger it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 4:27am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Question. Are there really that many Ali boat companies in nz or are they subsidiaries of a parent company?

Like Toyota Subaru Lexus or damiler which is Mercedes fuso frieghtline?
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 7:20am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Well that makes sense! Are they a rebrand of Lazer or seperate brand/line? No wonder they looked identicle...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:57am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hang on a moment...

Lazer and Southern are south island brands, now both owned by Andy Carlson of Family Boats in ETamaki. Manufacturing is done in Dunedin and ET. The boats are close cousins but not quite the same, with Lazers main distinction being they offer f/glass topsides in some of their models.

Offshore are a Whangarei firm, and are located just around the corner from Circa Marine & Industrial, who they share resources with, with Offshore doing their finishing work. 

Also related to Offshore - is a chap by the name of Perrin Clark, who was one of their main fabricators, and he also produces a Lazer/Offshore clone in Paihia which in my option is the most attractive of them all...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:31am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Andy Carlson owns FBNZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 6:28pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that makes sense! Are they a rebrand of Lazer or seperate brand/line? No wonder they looked identicle...
Just a rebranding with a couple of add ons
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:32pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Personally I think glass boats are dying a slow death. These days if your gonna drop big money on a big boat your gonna get it built to your own  personal specification which can be achieved with alloy. Just tell the designer what you want, how you want it and voila it pops out in a sheet of 5083 ready to be welded together.
Try telling  boss of Rayglass you want  twin live bait tanks, draws in the side pockets and cantilever seats for Both skipper and passenger and see what the response is.
Walking past the fi-glass stand, its boats looked exactly the same for every show I've been to.
The finish of alloy boats these days certainly has come a long way in the past 10 years, yep bloody expensive.... But they do seem to hold there re-sale well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep Scampy that is true what you said…glass is good though for hull. They just need to adapt a bit. Most of us will trade better riding hull for frills but it needs to sensible and give us what we want.
I’ve never gone glass (although ride on a nice 635 Bonito sometimes) as can fasten all sorts of things to my old alloy boat. 
Helps my daughters boyfriend is an expert welder (works mainly on commercial boats for his family owned engineering outfit) but never needed him although he has offered his services.  Stainless nuts and bolts, plastic cutting board spacers and silicon can achieve a lot in alloy boat when you want to customise them with seating, rod holders (mine has a lot of those) … some for fishing but lot of extra ones that are game rod capable for stowage travelling, which is really what I like. Also plenty of cup holders and cleats.
When I look at my boat, hull old as it is, I often then think what a lot of work it would be to recreate such a magnificent platform for storage of all things fishing related in a smallish space.
Page  <123>