The decline of Editorial Oversite in NZ Media

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The decline of Editorial Oversite in NZ Media
    Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:52am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have noticed a rapid decline in the standard of editorial oversite, let alone the massive decline in quality of reporting, within the NZ print media and especially with the NZ Herald. Saw this in this morning's NZ Herald, can you spot what is fundamentally wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:19am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's just a case of not enough 'others'.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:32am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's what you would expect to see with rounding to one decimal place of the results, personally I'd have tweaked the "others" category to make it look better -but I'm fussy like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:20am
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So is National in the lead or the red party?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:18am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess the question is are they colour blind, stupid or being deliberately confusing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:16pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wife is a former journalist and is horrified at the number of mistakes made in both print and screen news reporting - seems every night she's correcting the bad grammar used in the news. Her old sub-editor would be turning in his grave.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hahaha I looked at that and couldn't see what you were on about until Moots answered. Red for National Blue for Labour. Pretty good for NZ Herald standards. Yes there has been a huge decline
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:51pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sufishent I write a lot of reports, my grammar and spelling is not the best, but it is way better than most of these opinion writers, can't call them journalists anymore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:46am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is this a mistake or done on purpose, looks like someone trying to hide the results to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 8:42am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

..... it is way better than most of these opinion writers, can't call them journalists anymore.

Missus says exactly the same thing - does her head in with all the opinion "reporting"
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:02am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im more shocked that 2.6 % of the population are voting for Winston again. He's burnt every bridge in Parliament and been ruled out as a partner by every other party leader.
Why won't he simply just go away?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 5:44pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Im more shocked that 2.6 % of the population are voting for Winston again. He's burnt every bridge in Parliament and been ruled out as a partner by every other party leader.

I cannot understand why Labour is still that high. Wacko
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 6:39pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

because they bribe their voter base, $166k spent on warriors tickets given to people so they would fill out their census forms. Who many of them were given to national voters.

I can’t understand how people vote for the greens, all those green voters in ponsonby sitting in their multi million dollar homes and the greens want to bring in a wealth tax. They will be the ones who will get smashed by the new tax but they still vote for the greens. Madness
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:11pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My god.... if theres is a Labour,greens, Maori  co-lab it will be pretty much the final straw for a lot of people. 
I love this country.... But watching it getting torn to bits by these complete f-ckwits is truly heartbreaking. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:03pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, first, editorial/typographical/grammatic standards are poor but have been for quite a while.  Example, the "Grauniad".

Secondly, technical accuracy has been a bit crap for decades.  I have had input to a number of engineering-related articles in NZ media in the last few decades and, well, you just give up: you say this, "they" are not technical at all and write "that", and chinese whispers etc etc/  What comes out comes out.

Finally, a bit surprised from teh general comments on this forum that NZ First is not polling higher :).  Nor ACT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 11:04am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Probably a lot to do with a lack of decent alternatives.  Looks like another election of voting for the least bad party, don't think there is a best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 7:27pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

[QUOTE=v8-coupe]Probably a lot to do with a lack of decent alternatives
The Tamaki couple (Destiny) starting up their own party.... yeah boi   
Will be interesting how that turns out.... might be another 5% king maker in the making
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:34am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

[QUOTE=v8-coupe]Probably a lot to do with a lack of decent alternatives
The Tamaki couple (Destiny) starting up their own party.... yeah boi   
Will be interesting how that turns out.... might be another 5% king maker in the making

I saw that, an umbrella coalition of disaffected loonies, is there enough tin foil in NZ for this lot?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:56am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whatever side of the political compass you lie on, it's important to try and emphasise with the other side. You may disagree on policy or implementation but as soon as we start identifying too much with a political party and calling the other side f-wits, we may as well move to the States, as that's what we become. 

For the record I tend to vote left wing, but not too far left, as I work in education. Te Parti Maori for example has some pretty bad ideas in their education policy mixed in with a few good. ACT has some good ideas in theirs mixed with some bad. Both I assume mean well, and legitimately think that their policies will help the country. Both are probably partly wrong, based on my experience in a classroom. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 6:13pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Heralds website is littered with spelling errors…
Page  12>