Whangateau Harbour Cockles

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whangateau Harbour Cockles
    Posted: 09 May 2023 at 8:29pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was talking recently to a family member who has been involved in a scientific study of the Whangateau Harbour near Omaha. They have been doing surveys of shellfish - specifically cockles - in the harbour to determine mortality etc. My understanding is that approximately 12 years ago there was a near total dieback of cockles in the harbour. The survey has been ongoing to determine recovery and it seems there has been very little new cockle replacement there. No discernible change since the dieback event.

Does anyone else on the Forum know about this? Any knowledge of why all the cockles in Whangateau would have suddenly died over a decade ago? Is this just restricted to that harbour or were other nearby harbours/estuaries affected?

Any information received with interest.

thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 6:00am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's not good to see MJ. A quick search found this about Wangateau Harbour. A complete contrast to what is most likely happening: https://www.doc.govt.nz/contentassets/c415573fadd547b7b131734d575b2c78/whangateau-harbour-field-trip.pdf
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 6:54am
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Smudge. Your website connection doesn't work unfortunately.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:01am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:05am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi I have collected shellfish there and they were pipis not cockles and they put a ban on them due to bus loads of poachers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:23am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's the one Telecaster, thank you
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 5:24pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Idiots riding horses on shellfish beds cause a lot of damage . Plenty of entitled horsey types up that way unfortunately. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:50pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sad, as we used to come down from  Matheson bay as a family and harvest half a bucket for feed where you could walk out at low tide… then as time went on people arrived with sacks and took heaps. 
As a kid, before Omaha groins were built, was big pipi bed immediately out from ti point wharf. You could dive in swim across at low tide and get a tog ( togs were big but could still fit big pipis in 4 either side of my much smaller weaner) , was a few to eat as a snack and few for bait to catch a parore, trevally or if you were real lucky a nice pannie size snapper. 
Was mainly green hand lines back then (early 70s)  but I was a spoilt little bugger and age 10 graduated on my birthday to an early shimano delux spin set up  ( viewed that rod and reel probably 50 times (like went there every second day after school) at stirling sports Glenfield mall, before my parents finally agreed to purchase it for my birthday… must have driven store owner crazy) , and  my little bro had a nice orange solid fibre glass rod with little  Diawa spin reel (we still have that in our family vintage tackle rack) … which once took a big snapper off wharf … about 6lb. He got that from the Warkworth tackle shop, a year or so later… and by then I was already feeding my family with fish from the wharf and rocks.
Those were the days.  We used special small strong hooks to fish those pipi baits,  purchased from old English gent who had that great old tackle shop in Warkworth on side of roadside by river as you drove into town coming from the Leigh side.
Paradise has been wrecked!