No Indian summer this year guys.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 8:53am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Yeah funny I have actually been thinking of down sizing my boat because on the few days where we have had a weather window my normal fishing mates have had something on. So I get a smaller easy to use boat and I’ll be able to chuck it in and go.

Problem with a smaller boat though is the amount of usable weather windows get less, at least with a larger boat you can still go and take the chance if the wind gets up.

Keep your current boat and get a 2nd (smaller) boat or ask your fishing mate to get a smaller boat.

Good idea, or a Jetski)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 6:34pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Plenty room in most pontoons depending on set up. Can move around as a big fella without worrying about list and if seat is problem configure further back. Used to be guy on here with relatively small stabi called Tiny Cole, he had a 14 ft stabi… Tiny was a lot bigger than Kandrew. Tiny had few to no problems in that smaller boat and he was one of best fishermen I ever meet. Made awesome rods as well. Kandrew is a big guy though, having met him once… so something for him to consider. As we get we get older, we also do need to consider comfort while doing what we enjoy.

Yes I am a big bugger and I would fit a small runabout. The weather has been a problem this year but other things have got in the way as well. One of the problems I forget about is I really only lure fish these days which counts a lot of my old fishing mates out who still bait fish.

I might have to go back to the dark side and break out the pillies.

Now you're just being silly Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 7:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Plenty room in most pontoons depending on set up. Can move around as a big fella without worrying about list and if seat is problem configure further back. Used to be guy on here with relatively small stabi called Tiny Cole, he had a 14 ft stabi… Tiny was a lot bigger than Kandrew. Tiny had few to no problems in that smaller boat and he was one of best fishermen I ever meet. Made awesome rods as well. Kandrew is a big guy though, having met him once… so something for him to consider. As we get we get older, we also do need to consider comfort while doing what we enjoy.

Yes I am a big bugger and I would fit a small runabout. The weather has been a problem this year but other things have got in the way as well. One of the problems I forget about is I really only lure fish these days which counts a lot of my old fishing mates out who still bait fish.

I might have to go back to the dark side and break out the pillies.

Now you're just being silly Wink
Yes getting silly happens from time to time, just venting about this crap weather. long way out to 50 mtr mark to fish sliders in a 4.2 mtr tinny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 8:40pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There is fantastic fishing to be had in any sheltered water close in at the moment. We were pulling in 50 and 60cm fish in 5m of water recently just tucked behind a headland,  a few hundred metres from the ramp,  while it was howling 35kn out at sea. I cant give out the exact location , but most sheltered shallows near deeper water with current flow will hold surprising numbers of good fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:19pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rowboat bob rowboat bob wrote:

There is fantastic fishing to be had in any sheltered water close in at the moment. We were pulling in 50 and 60cm fish in 5m of water recently just tucked behind a headland,  a few hundred metres from the ramp,  while it was howling 35kn out at sea. I cant give out the exact location , but most sheltered shallows near deeper water with current flow will hold surprising numbers of good fish. 

That's been the case in Whangarei Harbour all summer. Limestone Island, Tamaterau, Takahiwai, Parua Bay, Urquhart's Bay and the harbour entrance have all consistently produced good fish in shallow water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:24pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah and the rougher it is out at sea,  the better those sheltered harbour spots fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 5:30pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah your right the fish are in close but for me it’s about getting the time in the first place and with the crap weather as well it’s really narrowed down the opportunities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 9:16pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been using our little Takacat more and more these days. A lot of fun to fish from but defiantly got its limitations.
Pros; Super lite, piece of piss to roll down to waters edge and launch.
        Cheep to run, uses bugger all fuel.
        No trailer to tow.... I can lift the whole thing up and sit it on the back of Ranger. Deflate it when  
        your done. Roll it up and stash it in the shed.
        Its a hell of a lot of fun to fish from. Super quiet...like no noise, perfect for stealthy softbait in 
        shallows.
        Great for kids to boost around on and learn the art of tiller steering in a small lightweight stable
        boat.
       Enjoy the smell of 2 stroke and reminis over the good ol days before the complete twots in power 
      ban them
Cons; You get wet if its anything other that flat calm
         Sunburn is a bit of an issue too.
         Storage aint great..... you have to pack real lite.
        Fish spines are a real problem..... we use a cooler bag on floor of boat to protect the deck.
        A landing net is very handy.
        You get a sore arse from sitting. Standing up is tricky unless its very flat... after a couple of hours 
        start of feel a bit like Freddy Murcury after a big night on the party pills.
All in all the mighty little Taka has been an absolute blast, caught tons of fish , dived off it -you name it.
Great back up boat for a weekend away etc. when your done its simply bagged up and stored in shed. No hassles.If your thinking about one just do it.... They really are fun. Truekit is probably a better boat.. but more cost too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:04pm
Gold
Gold

My point was , that it is during the crap weather that the little sheltered spots up the harbours fish the best. On the latest trip we were the only trailer at the ramp, didn't get out of the five knot zone , yet got a bin of decent fish in an hour and a half.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:34pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm with you on that one Bob, I've got a 6m and 12ft tinny and live at Mt Maunganui so have a harbour as well as outside fishing and am very grateful to have the harbour with this weather pattern, fishing the harbour in my dinghy keeps me sane and over summer and autumn it can be good.
I do enjoy the days out in the ocean in my bigger boat more though, more scenic and its a better escape with greater potential for that special fish.
I read in the paper this week that the Met. experts are still forecasting el nino to kick in over winter, be nice to have a change   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 9:56pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Originally posted by rowboat bob rowboat bob wrote:

That's been the case in Whangarei Harbour all summer. Limestone Island, Tamaterau, Takahiwai, Parua Bay, Urquhart's Bay and the harbour entrance have all consistently produced good fish in shallow water. 

Might need a trip down your way MB - Tutukaka is pretty exposed.  Where do you suggest launching?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 12:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are public boat ramps at Parua Bay and Onerahi by Limestone Island. If you want the lower harbour, there is an easy beach launch at Little Munro Bay. Not sure how much longer the fish will hang around, so do it sooner rather later!
Page  <12