No Indian summer this year guys.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Indian summer this year guys.
    Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 11:15am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well doesn’t look like we are going have an extended fishing season this year like the experts predicted.

At least the greens will be happy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 12:49pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep just checked my favorite weather websites and strong east to north winds for next 7 days, I thought La Nina was supposed to be fading.
The last year has had me thinking of shifting from the east coast to west.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep more crap coming. The issue I have is not getting the use out of my 6.0 mtr tinny.

I’ve been thinking of getting a smaller boat I can handle myself but with all this sh-t weather I’d get out even less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:06pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good time to re wire,its like birds next in behind the panel,
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:28pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seeing how kkb camera is out,this seems good

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes the only positive is these conditions reduce recreational pressure on fish stocks. Worst summer weather I can recall, and the flood aside, very persistent high winds.
Having said that on those 10 or so days we did manage to get out in the boat since xmas, the fishing was amazingly good, especially on gamefish.
I am spending this afternoon in garage re-rewiring the sounder in my kayak. Will also do bit of tackle maintenance including taking reels off the game rods and lubricating the fittings and reassembling, as don’t think I will be using again this season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 1:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just got another ute load of firewood cut and down comes the rain.  Looks like it is going to be wet firewood now. On the positive side four days in on covid and I've been well enough to collect, cut and stack firewood. Covid you pussy! Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 3:12pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah funny I have actually been thinking of down sizing my boat because on the few days where we have had a weather window my normal fishing mates have had something on. So I get a smaller easy to use boat and I’ll be able to chuck it in and go.

Problem with a smaller boat though is the amount of usable weather windows get less, at least with a larger boat you can still go and take the chance if the wind gets up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 3:38pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Yeah funny I have actually been thinking of down sizing my boat because on the few days where we have had a weather window my normal fishing mates have had something on. So I get a smaller easy to use boat and I’ll be able to chuck it in and go.

Problem with a smaller boat though is the amount of usable weather windows get less, at least with a larger boat you can still go and take the chance if the wind gets up.
Went for a ferry trip to Kawau island from Sandspit Yesterday,and yep there were 2 or 3 that battled across from sandspit,meanwhile the ferry taking a few green ones over the top.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 4:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe have a look at smaller pontoon boat either stabi, osprey or senator, in 4- 5 mtr boat and there won’t be an issue in any conditions you would really want to be out there in and good safety margin if gets rough. Also relatively easy to manage by yourself, and still good to fish with two POB. And the options where you can launch that size of boat increase massively.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 5:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Maybe have a look at smaller pontoon boat either stabi, osprey or senator, in 4- 5 mtr boat and there won’t be an issue in any conditions you would really want to be out there in and good safety margin if gets rough. Also relatively easy to manage by yourself, and still good to fish with two POB. And the options where you can launch that size of boat increase massively.
That’s what I was thinking Shane, looking at a frewza from a safety standpoint when out by myself. I can launch my tinny myself but still nice to have someone on board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 6:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a tricky one. First - you need to know where you are likely to be fishing, type of fishing, launch conditions and prevailing weather etc. This takes a few years to figure out.
Then you are in a position to make a choice. My 5.3 tinnie is as big as I can launch on my own in the surf. It is not just the launch, but getting the tractor back up the beach etc before my boat gets washed away on to the rocks. It is big enough to take on most surf I would be prepared to cross to fish, and 2-3 POB is no problem. If the weather is too crappy for my boat, it is for most everyone else too. Happy to stay home. 
Then there are the bigger boats. But you need a crew. Not negotiable. This limits my fishing. And the extra weather they could stay out in, I am not really interested. I am out in 90% of the fishable conditions. Many time, the only boat out. They can have the rest. I don't do really ugly.
Then there are smaller boats. Easier to launch but again the weather/surf window narrows more - so less fishing again.
When you know the answers, there is a definite sweet spot to hit - for what you plan to do. 
I would not trade my 5.3m tinnies for anything.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:29pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

This is a tricky one. First - you need to know where you are likely to be fishing, type of fishing, launch conditions and prevailing weather etc. This takes a few years to figure out.
Then you are in a position to make a choice. My 5.3 tinnie is as big as I can launch on my own in the surf. It is not just the launch, but getting the tractor back up the beach etc before my boat gets washed away on to the rocks. It is big enough to take on most surf I would be prepared to cross to fish, and 2-3 POB is no problem. If the weather is too crappy for my boat, it is for most everyone else too. Happy to stay home. 
Then there are the bigger boats. But you need a crew. Not negotiable. This limits my fishing. And the extra weather they could stay out in, I am not really interested. I am out in 90% of the fishable conditions. Many time, the only boat out. They can have the rest. I don't do really ugly.
Then there are smaller boats. Easier to launch but again the weather/surf window narrows more - so less fishing again.
When you know the answers, there is a definite sweet spot to hit - for what you plan to do. 
I would not trade my 5.3m tinnies for anything.
Alan

Yeah very good point you make there, something to consider.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:07pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its frustrating.  I retired last October so any day with decent weather is OK, but there have been few of those.  Managed two trips in the last week, but both bait  & berley where I can find shelter, rather than preferred spots to far away.

Solo launch fine, but normally sheltered launch site.

Plus brew beer on the bad days.  Plus drink it on good and bad days

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:24am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This has been my least boating and fishing year since I got my boat 15+ years ago - a combination of very limited weather windows clashing with work and social functions = very limited time on the water :(
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:17am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a **** summer and it's been our first year of boat ownership! Still done 31 launches and clocked up 105 hours which is respectable for a weekend warrior. 

Done a lot of bait and burley trips in Whangarei Harbour, mainly to entertain my young son and his mates. I don't really fish myself on these days, but enjoy taking the boat out and getting them on to some fish. 

Re: Boat size. Everything about boat choice is personal. I don't think there are rights and wrongs. When it came to it, I asked myself if I really wanted to be out on the ocean in conditions that a 5.6m boat couldn't handle comfortably. The answer was no, so my decision was made. That said, I don't do bar crossings and only dip my toes in to game fishing. I guess there is always the possibility that you get caught out by the weather, but hopefully not so badly that you suffer any more than a bumpy ride home and the odd splash of water! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 3:07pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep more crap coming. The issue I have is not getting the use out of my 6.0 mtr tinny.

I’ve been thinking of getting a smaller boat I can handle myself but with all this sh-t weather I’d get out even less.
Think carefully about it, Having moved from the v13 (solo no issue) being cramped,legs spent 80% tucked in and not a great ability to move. Now bigger vessel(solo no issue) but being able to stand/move around,no fear of falling in and still able to go diving and get onboard no issues.

As you said "Weather windows are limited" Big smile Yeah I've got soft or sensible?

Managed to find fault on trim gauge with this weather, been almost 12 months since working
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:23pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plenty room in most pontoons depending on set up. Can move around as a big fella without worrying about list and if seat is problem configure further back. Used to be guy on here with relatively small stabi called Tiny Cole, he had a 14 ft stabi… Tiny was a lot bigger than Kandrew. Tiny had few to no problems in that smaller boat and he was one of best fishermen I ever meet. Made awesome rods as well. Kandrew is a big guy though, having met him once… so something for him to consider. As we get we get older, we also do need to consider comfort while doing what we enjoy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote emmawriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 8:33pm
emmawriter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Indian summer refers to a period of warm, dry, and sunny weather in autumn, usually after a spell of cold weather. However, weather patterns can be unpredictable and may not always follow expert predictions.

It's important to keep in mind that weather conditions can change rapidly and frequently, and it's always a good idea to check the latest weather forecasts before planning any outdoor activities like fishing. Additionally, it's crucial to prioritize safety and always follow any weather-related advisories or warnings issued by local authorities.

I hope you can still enjoy some fishing during the current season and make the most of the weather conditions that are present. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. Powered By Fishingsize.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Plenty room in most pontoons depending on set up. Can move around as a big fella without worrying about list and if seat is problem configure further back. Used to be guy on here with relatively small stabi called Tiny Cole, he had a 14 ft stabi… Tiny was a lot bigger than Kandrew. Tiny had few to no problems in that smaller boat and he was one of best fishermen I ever meet. Made awesome rods as well. Kandrew is a big guy though, having met him once… so something for him to consider. As we get we get older, we also do need to consider comfort while doing what we enjoy.

Yes I am a big bugger and I would fit a small runabout. The weather has been a problem this year but other things have got in the way as well. One of the problems I forget about is I really only lure fish these days which counts a lot of my old fishing mates out who still bait fish.

I might have to go back to the dark side and break out the pillies.
Page  12>