Amazing flats GTs on fly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing flats GTs on fly
    Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 8:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought you folk might enjoy this one, from Pelagic Pursuit on youTube, also featuring Johnny Brooks of Morningtide fame. GTs on big black popper flies at the Gt Barrier Reef shallow sand flats. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 8:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's cool!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 9:00pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks TTK, I'm a big fan of the Pelagic Pursuit vids.  He presents them well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 10:36pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All good. Sometimes they are out on the reef in an absolute glass out, which just seems incredible - given how far off shore it is. I can't imagine being that far from land in NZ and ever having less than 10 kts of wind.

Love it when they stay the night anchored in a blue hole in their open centre consoles, and then just start all over again the next day.

In terms of fly fishing, they also have some amazing action on the tusk fish in bays near the islands - which I think are similar to 'blue bone' out your way in the west. They look like parrot fish but go like a rocket when hooked on fly in the shallows.

Very lucky to have that on their doorstep out from Airlies - mind you, Matty must burn a few bucks in fuel now that YouTube is his full-time job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 11:23pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

TTK - yep same fish, in WA they are known as bluebone but they are in fact blackspot tuskfish.
He did very well on fly gear and I'm sure he picked the location that had the least structure.
There has been many a discussion on my local website as to how to catch them.  Whole crab as bait and a 200lb handline (hold on tight and don't give them an inch) seems to be the winner.  They are great on the tooth. Perth water temps are on the cool side for them but not so 500km north.