Care of Saltwater fly gear

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Care of Saltwater fly gear
    Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 7:44pm
Southern Man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any tips on how best to care for a saltwater fly reel please. With my normal saltwater reels I just tighten up the drag and give it a light spray. What’s the best routine for a saltwater fly reel? And do you need to strip off the floating line and clean it too?
Thanks
Mai Pen Rai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 8:39am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What salt fly reel do you have mate?

The upper end solid bar stock type need very little care within reason.
A tighten of the drag and a good rinse in warm soapy water as you say. Don't make the mistake and blast water under pressure into the reel. Leave it to dry in a warm airy environment after and you're good to go.

I've got a range of reel sizes in solid bar stock that I have done this with for over 30 years and they are still in incredibly good condition.

A light spray of silicone over the whole thing is also beneficial if you aren't going to be using it for a while.

Just make sure you don't get that stuff over the flyline - some of the lines tend to not like some of the chemicals. I'd suggest removing the line and storing separately if you are not going to be using it for a while too.

Put up your reel model and I'm sure we can tailor make a cleaning regime for it.

Thumbs Up

Edit - all flylines need a clean occasionally. More so in the salt as they tend to collect crystals. Again, a warm wash and a run through a wet cloth/towel and some line treatment does wonders. You don't need to dress it after every trip, but you'll notice when the line starts to 'stick' for lack of a better word.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 5:02am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Aaaah silly me I also loosened the drag and then sprayed it. It makes sense to tighten it to stop water getting in there, right?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 7:14am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WillP WillP wrote:

Aaaah silly me I also loosened the drag and then sprayed it. It makes sense to tighten it to stop water getting in there, right?.

Yep - tighten the drag to stop the salt water getting into the inner parts.
Good wash with warm soapy water. Light spray, rinse.

Quick rub dry and most importantly release the drag and don't store it with the drag compressed. Leave it in a warm airy environment to totally dry.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed