Hi from Perth

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Perth
    Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 8:01am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi to everyone on here and a big hello to all that remember me !...Hope there are still heaps of kings and big snaps swimming around.....Hope to come for a fish sometime soon...Tight lines all Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:46am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi LBD, good to hear from you. Snapper in the Hauraki gulf seem to be having a rough timeand crays are in trouble most places. Plenty of fish out west though Wink
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 2:52am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Hi LBD, good to hear from you. Snapper in the Hauraki gulf seem to be having a rough timeand crays are in trouble most places. Plenty of fish out west though Wink
snaps getting hammered by comms is it smudge?....hows the kings going?......for me nothing could beat being hooked up to a hoodlum !LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:16am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How's the fishing in Perth? We've been planning to move there for the past 10 years 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 1:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

snaps getting hammered by comms is it smudge?....hows the kings going?......for me nothing could beat being hooked up to a hoodlum !LOL

Not sure on kings in the gulf LBD but I'm sure they are there. Lots of theories on wht snapper are struggling, my thoughts are that overfishing of species such as pilchards play a big part.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 1:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We've been down to Ranfurly Banks a couple of times in the last two years with Coastal Fishing Charters. Epic kingfish action there 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 8:46pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

How's the fishing in Perth? We've been planning to move there for the past 10 years 😂

There are plenty of fish in our metro waters MB.  Having said that a few months ago the Fisheries Dept introduced new fishing regulations which reduces the time recreational anglers can spend on the water.   At the same time the new regs removes existing size limits and increases the numbers of fish anglers can take on any one day.  It's a dog's breakfast and difficult to understand the rationale.
There has been no science involved and is solely based on phone and ramp surveys. I don't fish locally these days after selling my boat June 2022.
Here is a recent pic from my local fishing website. Two WA dhufish, a baldchin groper and the snapper you will recognise.  The larger dhufish I'm guessing would be in the 10-12kg range, perhaps even better given that the snapper will be 50cm minimum.  The fish were caught a bit further north than what I would call Perth metro.  As far as eating quality the Baldchin groper (baldie) would be the clear winner followed by the dhuies and the snapper a close third.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 1:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some nice fish there. It's funny that wrasse species are so sort after in Aussie, yet here, most people turn their nose up at them.

Why did you sell your boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 3:12pm
Platinum
Platinum

MB - unfortunately it just wasn't being used.  I bought it new in 2007 as a toy for my retirement.  For the first 4 or 5 years I would tow it up to Exmouth (1,250km north of Perth) for three weeks or so each year and fish with the wife and other family. I was unable to keep the boat at my home address in Perth and therefore it had to be stored elsewhere where access was by appointment only.  This just made it difficult and when I did use it, I would park it on my verge 2 or 3 days each side of going fishing.  Add to this a serial complainer in the street and I would have the local council knocking on my door within 24 hours of the boat being on the verge telling me I had to move it. It just became too hard!!!  The last 4 years I think I put less then 40 hours on the motors.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 3:21pm
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi FA
I also am in Perth and have to agree with you about the new Regs, it is a "Dog's Breakfast"
The "shinny pants' have no idea on fish stocks. We have to adjust or fish outside the Zones they have set like Shark Bay and Exmouth.  just a pain.  I am a bit like you, have a boat since 2014 and that has only seen 65 hours, not like when I was in NZ.

DD
Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 4:09pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

MB - unfortunately it just wasn't being used.  I bought it new in 2007 as a toy for my retirement.  For the first 4 or 5 years I would tow it up to Exmouth (1,250km north of Perth) for three weeks or so each year and fish with the wife and other family. I was unable to keep the boat at my home address in Perth and therefore it had to be stored elsewhere where access was by appointment only.  This just made it difficult and when I did use it, I would park it on my verge 2 or 3 days each side of going fishing.  Add to this a serial complainer in the street and I would have the local council knocking on my door within 24 hours of the boat being on the verge telling me I had to move it. I just became too hard!!!  The last 4 years I think I put less then 40 hours on the motors.

Sorry to hear that, but makes sense to sell if not being used.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 6:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by deltadreams deltadreams wrote:

Hi FA
I also am in Perth and have to agree with you about the new Regs, it is a "Dog's Breakfast"
The "shinny pants' have no idea on fish stocks. We have to adjust or fish outside the Zones they have set like Shark Bay and Exmouth.  just a pain.  I am a bit like you, have a boat since 2014 and that has only seen 65 hours, not like when I was in NZ.

DD

Hiya Neil, good to see you again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 8:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

MB - certainly Baldies (endemic to WA) and Tuskfish are targeted due to their great eating qualities. Larger specimens of these can reach 7-9kg.  These are known crab eaters which I believe contributes to their fine eating qualities. We do have smaller wrasse species which we mostly use as fresh or live bait.  Other wrasse like species here in WA include foxfish, pigfish and goatfish.  These are smaller and by-catch mainly but they also eat well.  I think these may exist in NZ. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 10:13am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have pigfish, scarlet wrasse and sandager''s wrasse (eastern king wrasse) and a few others. I haven't found them to be good eating. Firm fillets, but zero taste. Not bad taste, just nothing at all.

If we continue to get wet and windy summers, I think it will hasten our move to Aussie. Had enough of this ****!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 2:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

MB - those King Wrasse are definitely bait.  Many a dhuie has been caught using them as bait.  Some years ago my local fishing website ran a poll of what anglers considered to be the best tasting fish species in WA.  I've collated the top 10 results of species caught in the Perth metro area.

Baldchin Groper                 78 votes
King George Whiting           66 votes
Breaksea Cod (Blackarse)   35 votes
Dhufish                             28 votes
Sand Whiting                     25 votes
Red Snapper                      14 votes
Pink Snapper                      12 votes
Flathead                             12 votes
Mahi Mahi                            6 votes
Grey Banded Cod                 5 votes

Mahi Mahi and Grey Banded Cod probably vote lower than they should as many people won't have caught these.  I believe some fish species lend themselves to different styles of cooking.  Some years ago I brought home what we call a Queen Snapper (Blue Morwong), a close relative to the NZ Porae.  It's generally not considered to be the best here in WA but I deep fried strips in batter and they were magnificent.

Let me know if you ever want any info about WA.  I'm happy to fill in the gaps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 3:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks. We've visited quite a few times. Maybe we'll meet for a beer sometime 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:05am
Titanium
Titanium

I have become a big fan of catching blue swimmer crabs and squid...Dont own a boat...cant afford it ....fish off jetties.
There are kingies here around WA but not as big.....but would love to have a go at them on light tackle but dont know anyone with a boat. or anyone who targets them(ive seen some landed on jazz charters in perth though)...........the rigs i used off the boat and bricks in nz dont work over here and they like to gang hook..plus they have to pay a licence fee..was thinking of getting my skippers ticket here in perth.
we were spoilt for land based options in nz.......in wa...most rocks are high.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:09am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

Not sure if there is another user with a similar username.

Thats impossible surely LOL...mine is spelt correctly of course....i particularly miss fishing the bricks in nz....i spent many hours doing that in isolation most of the time.....peace and serenity......I can never acheve that over here.....never....someone will always turn up to see what you are doing !