Milky White Flesh in Snapper - Update

Page  <1234 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:19pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scientist interviewed today on RNZ said in some places about 20% have the symptoms.
Said the Comm guys have moved out of those areas.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:30pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I may be being over simplistic and/or even naive. I have spoken to many divers, both free and snorkel, who claim massive Kina barens abound in the gulf. Kina are apparently on the menu of Snapper. Surely a starving fish would head to these areas and have a field day. Is it that simple or am I being silly? Cheers.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After saying that I've never seen a fish in this state, I did today. Thought it was odd when the knife went through the fillet like a hot knife through butter. I was happy with my work until I flipped the fillet over and it was as described. Looked like a dogs dinner despite good knife work and no meat left on the frame. Smelt pretty bad too. Can't ever remember a snapper smelling bad! Iki, gutted and iced immediately after catching before anyone asks!

I had planned to make kokonda. Had the ingredients for it and not much else, so went ahead with the worst piece of fish ever. Believe it or not, actually tasted good!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 11:19pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe its too much fresh water where the fish have been hanging around. We got some mullet from a inlet and were mush compared to ocean swimmers.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 9:50am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm getting at least one white flesh model every trip out. I'm trying to keep an eye on weight and throw the light ones back. Its in the news feed finally. I shudder to think how many fish the coms have binned. Recs too. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 1:04pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

I'm getting at least one white flesh model every trip out. I'm trying to keep an eye on weight and throw the light ones back. Its in the news feed finally. I shudder to think how many fish the coms have binned. Recs too. 

Have bring trawlers in to the discussion didnt they. Remember 2015?Sanfords said they will leave the gulf if we recorded our catches,but LEGASEA said no way will reccs report catches,Shot them selves in the foot Id say!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:13pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think the discussion seemed pretty ballanced PJC. They mentioned alot of factors that could be contributing. Trawling the seabed was just one of them.  Not sure what happened in 2015. Last time i checked Legasea doesnt speak for all recs and couldn't block such a move. I do think recs reporting catches isnt straightforward whatever Legasea have to say about it. I'm not against such a thing just saying its going to be tough to enforce right ? can you send me a link of whatever happened in 2015 so i can get on your page ? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 4:46pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

I think the discussion seemed pretty ballanced PJC. They mentioned alot of factors that could be contributing. Trawling the seabed was just one of them.  Not sure what happened in 2015. Last time i checked Legasea doesnt speak for all recs and couldn't block such a move. I do think recs reporting catches isnt straightforward whatever Legasea have to say about it. I'm not against such a thing just saying its going to be tough to enforce right ? can you send me a link of whatever happened in 2015 so i can get on your page ? 
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/73461972/sanford-lays-down-challenge-to-hauraki-gulf-recreational-fishmen

Legasea response

And yes you are correct.They do not speak for all. NO consultation but blindly go ahead as they think they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 9:07pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep the theory's thrown around all seem plausible. We didn't seem to land any milky ones on several fishing trips up north this summer. Yet
my brother who lives out on the Barrier has caught dozens of them....so does that mean its just a Gulf issue? Are they being caught down BOP way? I tend to agree with V8. There are billions of Kina infesting pretty much all rocky areas around inner gulf.... yet the fish are starving? Doesn't stack up
Warm water temperatures , Run-off, silt and fresh water will certainly affect the food chain.... Krill etc. 
I see mike Mora from 3 news is investigating it....Apparently he's keen fisho, So at least the whole phenomenon is being made public and awareness is being raised which is a good thing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 9:14pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think only large snapper can bust up a kina. Not 100% sure but I freedive and never seen the smaller models do it.  Less baitfish around thats for sure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heard not enough baitfish,  as in pillies, Mack’s are also getting hammered commercially.
Very little workups of late in gulf now compared to years ago. Last year we had anchovies from about now on . But haven’t seen any yet. They (snapper) need feed to stay in good nick. Should ban netting pillies., although basically heard fished em out up here last year. My advice is don’t buy them. Also lack of decent kahawai round gulf at moment .. yet another bad sign. Some have said lack pillies is due to warmer water but doubt that… they would just be present further out if the case… which they are not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 11:35pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's obvious really.... They are white cis males.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:17am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

I'll pay that, very good Martyn.  LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 6:58am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you just been hit by a motorcycle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:23am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Maybe the skinny snapper are vegan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:45am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We had a really weird spring with a lot of rain, and NE winds pushing warm water into the gulf. I am wondering if they spawned early, and then spawned again in Jan? I have always had the odd mushy white-fleshed snapper around Nov-Jan but have definitely noticed more then usual this summer. I filleted 5 snapper on Monday (caught on Sunday) ranging from 40cm to 70cm and they were all in great condition - caught not far from Whangaparaoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Have you just been hit by a motorcycle
not recently 😂
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 6:25pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

We had a really weird spring with a lot of rain, and NE winds pushing warm water into the gulf. I am wondering if they spawned early, and then spawned again in Jan? I have always had the odd mushy white-fleshed snapper around Nov-Jan but have definitely noticed more then usual this summer. I filleted 5 snapper on Monday (caught on Sunday) ranging from 40cm to 70cm and they were all in great condition - caught not far from Whangaparaoa.
to me it feels like we are still in spring, gardens and lawns are still going mental.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 8:42am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Happy to report, 15 snapper over the weekend, fantail bay area. Only one had slightly milky flesh.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 8:37pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shortish trip Thursday morning from Takapuna: kept 3, all looking in very good condition.  Returned two that looked maybe a bit on the skinny side?  Dont really know.  All about 35cm.  Plus a fair few small things.  All 3 kept fish very nice looking flesh and tasted great, both raw and ceviche, a bit left over for tomorrow.

No slushy, white flesh in sight. 

Page  <1234 8>