Solid braid + 200lb mono

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The guy you need to talk to is Swordfish Steve, He’ll probably do it for you if you visit him. Best by far on this sort of thing. Doing it yourself without experience can lead to failure. I would suggest emailing him on his website … probably something like swordfish marine but I can’t remember. You want to tie a great plait I can show you how to do that. Braid to braid connections talk to Steve. I tie a good fg and have done that on some smaller reels with solid braid backing and am confident all good as  just insurance (capacity)  if pull what is 500m of nylon off. Again comes down to what you trying to achieve. I’m a scrimp but really you can’t beat hollow core and nylon topshot.. just got of pay money upfront…. But reckon is worthwhile investment. Resisted for years on my 50ws and 50s but hard to argue with… unless you tie fantastic slim knots on solid braid. As said earlier each to their own. Am old school caught plenty on 24 kg nylon on 50ws… but am being dragged into future and beaten sometimes by those that do it better and moving with times, tech and connections/ knots or splices.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:12pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have run 80lb hollow dacron on 80lb topshot for a decade now on my 50Ws. Won't go back to anything else. Bullet proof (but not totally perfect). Doesn't quite answer how to get to 200lbleader, but you can't splice that into 80lb hollow. Or could you??
Never tried. It may well be possible. In which case that would be my track.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 5:35pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just cut a length of 80lbhollow dacron off a spool - for another reason.
I will be at my 200lb mono in a day or so all going well. I will try splicing it in. From memory 210lb is around 1.3mm.  Maybe it will fit.
Let you know. But if it did, that would be a good solution. There won't be a hollow needle for it, but you don't actually need one to splice in. It helps, but I know people who never use one.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:04pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As already mentioned, I've been an early adopter of braid. Went hollow, bought a set of DAHO needles. Bought some braid windon leaders from Swordfish Steve but with the needles, learned to make my own and have made leaders from 130lb to 500lb and even the 500 is slimmer than 300 mono.
We have NEVER had any issues with line crosses. Once saw 4 anglers on braid winding up big bottom fish get popped off by a mako on mono.
Hollow loops are just about indestructible and never had any fail. Spliced loop on mainline, hollow leader with spliced loops at both ends. A clip on the end of leader then a mono bite leader. Simple (once you've got the needles and watched the videos) and it won't break.
You can make legal igfa line with a piece of mono connected to mainline - anything from 10 kg to 60. Make up several for quick change.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 1:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just tried threading 200lb mono into 80 lb hollow dacron and it works. No needle required. That would be a decent option.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12