Huge East Cape Kingfish Landbased

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote lbgaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huge East Cape Kingfish Landbased
    Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 12:43pm
lbgaz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys and gals, long time reader here but haven't posted much.
I thought I'd share some pics of the beast of a kingy I landed recently.
Went 130cm and was a fat good condition fish, couldn't weigh it but it had to be pushing 30kg if not over.
I wouldn't Normally take a fish this size home (especially with a 1.5 hour hike) but he was hooked deep in the guts and was done when landed. Shared the meat with some greatful campers and locals so it was not wasted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 2:25pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That’s a stunning effort anywhere- but sensational off the rocks- congratulations
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lbgaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:52pm
lbgaz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers mate, would have loved to send him back but was still a great experience to land one that size
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 7:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work. Great area down that way. I wish I went there when I was younger
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 8:39pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mean bro, proper fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow, congratulations well done.Three hours walk with all your gear that's dedication.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 11:27pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top fish, great effort, especially off the stones. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff, mate. That's huge. Thanks for taking the time to post - great photos and an awesome catch.
you don't seem like one to blow your own trumpet, but editing the heading to "Huge East Cape kingie" would get your story the attention it deserves from the Forum regulars...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote lbgaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:22am
lbgaz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Tamure Kid, 
You are right I'm not one to usually toot my own horn but since I'm not on social media I thought this was worth sharing haha.
Some Info about the catch if anyone is interested....
Caught on a Composite Developments landbased game OH rod with Shimano TLD25, running 21kg sufix mono mainline, 37kg black magic mono leader and an 11/0 mustad hoodlum livebait hook, fish took a large kahawai livebait under a balloon.