Catch Livies Jerkshad Review

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 9:24pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

. I fish 10 to 20 gram micros around whangaparoa in 20to 30 mtr
off topic here
would a lightweight softbait rod work a micro of that weight correctly or is it better to get a proper micro jig rod that's rated in that range of jig weight
That’s all I use, 7.6foot 3 to 6kg. I fish micro jigs just like softbaits, mainly cast forward and pick up most of my fish when the line is straight up and down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 10:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

off topic here
would a lightweight softbait rod work a micro of that weight correctly or is it better to get a proper micro jig rod that's rated in that range of jig weight

100% fine, that's all I've ever used, plus you can fish microjigs with the same technique as cast-ahead-of-drift softbaiting. Limit yourself to fishing over sand/mud as microjgs are more likely to snag up than softbaits. Otherwise bloody lethal technique. You might be surprised at how much you catch!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 10:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

off topic here
That’s all I use, 7.6foot 3 to 6kg. I fish micro jigs just like softbaits, mainly cast forward and pick up most of my fish when the line is straight up and down.

Didn't see your post when I replied. Luckily we have come to the same conclusion, so that's reassuring.

I catch most of my fish when microjigging after the first couple of twitches following the cast. Fishing is a funny game!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 7:38am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

off topic here

Didn't see your post when I replied. Luckily we have come to the same conclusion, so that's reassuring.

I catch most of my fish when microjigging after the first couple of twitches following the cast. Fishing is a funny game!
No problems I do love micro jigs and the other great thing is all you need to carry is a small tackle box with some shiny metal jigs, some clips and fluro and your sorted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 10:13am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really good thread, guys.

Riga, good to have a forum member backing the Junkies. I have found the TT Lures or Z Man jigheads designed for the soft Z Man material keep them on pretty well - until a bait has been used a lot, then they start slipping.At that point, I don't mind. Just a part of fishing.

MB and Kerry, great advice on the rods. I know there was a whole thread which Kaveman was also involved in which tackled the complete disparity about the soft bender style rod promoted by OA, versus the longer softbait rod which is how i understood you were supposed to do it (true 'micro' that is).

With a bit of experience under your belt, would you be willing to tell us your top 3-5 micro jigs, so we can give them a go?
the market's pretty saturated with many different shapes, and even base metals, and it's tricky to know where to start...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 10:37am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As I see it, there are two styles of microjigging. One style is fishing vertically with a light, soft tip rod and a small overhead reel, the other is a longer "softbait"-style rod for casting and retrieving in the same way as you would use a softbait. Obviously, you can use the latter for vertical fishing as well. 

As for jigs, I use a Kaveman Micro Ridgeback in Orange Lumo 30g for nearly all my microjigging. The jig is fricking lethal! I have also started doing a bit of casual shore jigging/aji fishing with ultralight gear. For this, I use 10g tungsten jigs which are tiny. It's very much a novelty for me rather than a serious fishing endeavour. It's successful, but I catch a lot of undersize snapper, as well as other species. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:55pm
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome, MB. Can't get a recommendation much better than that. i know Kerry's a Kaveman fan too, so it'll be interesting to see if he's using the same model.

That flattish oval shape is popular with some of the Aussies I've watched up in Queensland - the Palms Slow Blatt springs to mind as a similar style - though theirs are a bit too heavy to be true micro jigs.They usually fish vertically, but perhaps because they're in deepish water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:09pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kaveman tungsten in red, orange and silver lumo strips. Red is my favourite colour for all jigs and if you can find ones that run red into orange with lumo strips, let me know and I’ll buy them all.

Kaveman Cj are very good as a slow retrieve - drop and drag lure.

Shimano wonderfull in same colours, great for deeper water, kaveman has a similar jig as well called a hornet.

Shimano soare are a very good jig, I would say the best I’ve used. The silver is great in smaller sizes 18gram.

Savage gear psycho sprat, 10gram change out the small tail hooks for small assists.

One of the biggest issues I’ve learned is to make sure your assist hooks aren’t too long for the lure. Lures normally get hit on the side where the gut cavity would be. Think about jigheads they are designed to come out of the softbait in the same place, the gut cavity. The BKK jig assists are really good and a good length.

When I first started micro jigs I fished 30 gram to get to the bottom, but now I fish 7 to 20 gram in 30 to 40 mtrs. Use a long softbait rod. Micros cast like bullets which is great then give them plenty of time to sink. I don’t twitch and jig mine much, I let it swim on through and out the back of the boat, then I let it sit on the bottom for a little while and then give it a little twitch up off the bottom.

I used to fish micros until the paint was all gone, but the catch rate drops off. So I find as soon as the colour and flash starts to fade it’s time for a new one.

Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't know Kaveman did a tungsten jig, he keeps that well hidden on his website LOL 
Orange Lumo 25g looks lethal. 

This is my favourite jig. I don't mean brand (although it is Kaveman), I mean actual jig LOL
It has taken over 100 snapper, possibly more!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:12pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That’s my favourite lure as well
Orange and lumo kaveman Microjig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff, guys. Thanks for posting.

The Shimano Soare looks a little bit like a Zest Gan, which i saw at the counter of Big Fish in Pakuranga, and they looked fishy.

The CJ looks a bit like a BlueBlue. 

Good to have a local supplier of well priced jigs in Kev, because i could see myself going down a Japanese jig rabbit hole like a crazed magpie...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 9:04pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

off topic here

No problems I do love micro jigs and the other great thing is all you need to carry is a small tackle box with some shiny metal jigs, some clips and fluro and your sorted.

sweet as, thanks for that
I use a 7.9ft 2-5kg softbait rod off my kayak, have used light weight jigs with the combo & a slider rod in the holder dragging a jig, both work well.... just thought a dedicated jig rod might be better...... saved me buying a new setup... cheers guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 8:35am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

off topic here

sweet as, thanks for that
I use a 7.9ft 2-5kg softbait rod off my kayak, have used light weight jigs with the combo & a slider rod in the holder dragging a jig, both work well.... just thought a dedicated jig rod might be better...... saved me buying a new setup... cheers guys
I do have a 2 to 4 kg 6.6 foot rod with a 1000 series reel loaded with 2kg braid, which is heaps of fun for 7kg jigs I fish in 5 mtrs of water in the firth. But I also fish light jigs with my 7.6 foot rod and I don’t believe the catch rate is any different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:05pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

“ which is heaps of fun for 7kg jigs I fish in 5 mtrs ”
Jigs could be a bit heavy Kandrew.

Very interesting thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:11pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have also started doing a bit of casual shore jigging/aji fishing with ultralight gear. For this, I use 10g tungsten jigs which are tiny. It's very much a novelty for me rather than a serious fishing endeavour. It's successful, but I catch a lot of undersize snapper, as well as other species. 

Dedicated aji softies & lures are available at Yeehaa & the 2 asain food markets on aucks nth shore off wairau rd (forgot the names of them)
Both these markets have fishing outlets inside with proper dedicated ajing fishing gear, which most of my jigs & softies are from
You do need proper gear for them to get the right action from the lures. Im using 1-3kg rod with 2kg mono on 2500 daiwa sol reel for ultralight
Bloody snapper wrecks the softies, pretty much like leather jackets & gulps
The 3 & 5g jigs come with assist hooks & trebles... jig heads for softies range from 0.5g - 5g. My tackle box jig heads are 0.7 - 2.5g
I havent put proper time into this type of fishing, but the 1 inch paddletails are awesome on trevs.... so Ive heard & any fish in the 50cm range is a worthy opponent.... so am using the above combo to do straylining

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:34pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

“ which is heaps of fun for 7kg jigs I fish in 5 mtrs ”
Jigs could be a bit heavy Kandrew.

Very interesting thread.
yep I agree Keith just not easy to find anything smaller off the shelf in NZ sometimes . Interesting I have caught some good fish on larger jigs in 5mtrs same on softbaits. Sometimes I fish 5in Shad’s and will try 7in. If the fishing is slow and the fish are not feeding, they will take a small micro jig as it’s not too much effort. But when they are hungry they will sooner smash larger longer jigs over the smaller ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have also started doing a bit of casual shore jigging/aji fishing with ultralight gear. For this, I use 10g tungsten jigs which are tiny. It's very much a novelty for me rather than a serious fishing endeavour. It's successful, but I catch a lot of undersize snapper, as well as other species. 

Dedicated aji softies & lures are available at Yeehaa & the 2 asain food markets on aucks nth shore off wairau rd (forgot the names of them)
Both these markets have fishing outlets inside with proper dedicated ajing fishing gear, which most of my jigs & softies are from
You do need proper gear for them to get the right action from the lures. Im using 1-3kg rod with 2kg mono on 2500 daiwa sol reel for ultralight
Bloody snapper wrecks the softies, pretty much like leather jackets & gulps
The 3 & 5g jigs come with assist hooks & trebles... jig heads for softies range from 0.5g - 5g. My tackle box jig heads are 0.7 - 2.5g
I havent put proper time into this type of fishing, but the 1 inch paddletails are awesome on trevs.... so Ive heard & any fish in the 50cm range is a worthy opponent.... so am using the above combo to do straylining

thanks for that mate looks great, I will check the markets out.

I went into yeeha yesterday and they have a selection small jigs and hooks, picked up some size 8 assists on my Savage gear psycho sprat, 10gram jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 3:54pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I didn't know Kaveman did a tungsten jig, he keeps that well hidden on his website LOL 

This is my favourite jig. I don't mean brand (although it is Kaveman), I mean actual jig LOL

That is the micro Ridgeback model, has a real fluttering action.

The CJ or (short for casting jig) has a real radical action, works great in the rod holder

My favourite though are the micro Hornets in 30g, the red lumo is dynamite here in BOP but if anchovies are around, the lumo silver model is unbeatable. Super fast sinking jig that seems to drive snapper mad

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 7:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

That is the micro Ridgeback model, has a real fluttering action.

The CJ or (short for casting jig) has a real radical action, works great in the rod holder

My favourite though are the micro Hornets in 30g, the red lumo is dynamite here in BOP but if anchovies are around, the lumo silver model is unbeatable. Super fast sinking jig that seems to drive snapper mad

yes I agree your red and lumo hornet is a great micro, interesting does anyone use red and lumo soft bait, I’ve never seen one or do colours new penny look red in water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 7:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

That's an interesting question - because red won't be red at a decent depth where the lumo will show up.
My understanding is the red will look greyish (at least to human eyes) once it's down at say 20m (depending on water clarity). Stand to be corrected.

But to answer your question from a 'what it looks like in the shop' perspective, I don't recall seeing a red/white lumo combo in the mainstream softbait brands.

However, Nuclear Chicken obviously has green with the red, and the green has lumo features in the Z Man and (I think) Gulp versions. If you light it up with a UV torch, the green glows and stays glowing when the torch goes off. I've caught a couple of 70+cm snaps up north in 25m+ on the Z Man version in a big curly tail. And a massive Rangiputa trev on the Gulp Nemesis in that colour - so it's definitely on my rotation in 15m and deeper water.

The Z Man Bleeding Banana and the Gulp Curried Chicken have red and bright yellow, but no lumo. Not that many people list the Bleeding Banana in their 'go to' colour list, but I know Shark-Bait (John Sutherland) used to do well on it in the Tamaki Strait back in his days down this way.

There's a Daiwa Bait Junkie colour which is a rusty red brown back and pale pearl (lumo glow at depth) belly.

In my old box of never-get-used baits, there's a Squidgy with red back and a gold fleck belly (colour is 'Princess'). The belly glows pale green under UV torch, but it's not lumo (ie it doesn't stay glowing once the torch goes off). I thought it looked really good in the bargain bin price section of Marine Deals, but I've never had the confidence to give it a decent go!!

Page  <123>