Lots of mahis round knights last few days

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lots of mahis round knights last few days
    Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 9:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught 6 in two days , and didn’t want to catch any more as chilly bin was full of fillets which bought home today, and we gave away a couple of fish up there. Also hooked one blue which long range released itself after 10 min, a nice big strippee on kumera patch yesterday arvo which also threw hook and had a mate then circle our outboard while reset gear. Then as came in the rough water late arvo hooked something  that took my last black magic stripey 2 lumo and busted off after running off over 600m line in few minutes. Was in about 140 m just on  Sth end of knights. Mystery fish but was massive whatever it was. Wife was on rod and clearing gear last three days… she is pretty tired. I did help her land couple bigger mahis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 10:36pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bad luck on the billies and the unknown Shane.
On the positive side, mahi goes well on the tooth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 10:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah it was sort of disappointing have couple throw hook but reaffirms I am the better angler than wife. She currently on 4 hookups and zero landed this season , whereas I am zero hook ups and none landed, and mainly there to just drive boat and look after lures and spread selection, tag or gaff fish.
I was almost agreeing with her we need a bigger boat yesterday arvo though… but I might just splash out on hydraulic steering on mine next year. Do love my 490 stabi but was a really nice 585 Profile hard top in camp ground that really caught both our eyes. Looked expensive, but a lovely boat with 130 hp Yamaha on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:37am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The neighbours are eating well tonight, nice job getting away in the window, lots of little kiwi battlers have had their holiday fishing  buggered this year I'd say, getting out there was a tonic I'm sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Dave, happy new year. Saw you got some nice snaps while we were away out here. Go the jigs aye, interesting you reckon perform better in the presently still cloudy water off here than softies.
We should have chat tomorrow if want take a walk down and weather ain’t too bad. Can make you a really average coffee.
Definitely on money with weather spoiling a lot of people’s fishing. Had mates this week who were sort paralysed by difficulties round roads opening and weather forecasts and pending storms. They never went, even though the weather window we had was really good and the fishing was awesome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:31am
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done shane awsome work on the mahi.We all have hard luck stories on the bills.Thats what makes it so satisfying when we pull it off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 9:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah boys these are fun but quite dangerous in a lot of ways. Couple of tips. 1) gaff em beside boat then take lure out and then bring in boat and beat them senseless with a decent fish bat or put em straight into chilly bin.  Save getting hooks into you if bring in with lure in em. They thrash around a lot  .. luckily first 2 we did without that modus operandi that didn’t inflict injury.
2) when filleting take tail section and shoulder outside gut. Throw rest waway. If a king I use whole fish . These are prolific eaters, gut full of decomposing fish .. full green brown **** which can make you sick. Few people we gave fish to were a bit crook. Should just taken shoulder and tail section up to gut. We also had on ice for few days before brought home. But suspect belly flaps had bacteria.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:47pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As an aside, reported cases of stomach infections double in Auckland two days after heavy rain, it's been happening for years, thought to be related to the blind mullet escaping and not the hazards of fried mahi-mahi, but great to know your method for handling those exotics...'beat them senseless with a bat' hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 6:19am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to catch these in Samoa often when living there. Fantastic eating fresh never heard of any gut issues. Cut fillets to size of pan and cook like a fish pizza base with light toppings of your choice.  Top 5 eating fish for me. We did the tie mouth back to tail trick and yip gave them a bash. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 7:01pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Strange as it may sound............. I learned a trick with them. Press a couple fingers firmly on the spot where you would normally bleed a Tuna. They go dead quite and die within a minute. Don't ask me why this works but I have personally done it a few times and are amassed still. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 9:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good tip Doug, I'll give that a shot next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 12:03am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Strange as it may sound............. I learned a trick with them. Press a couple fingers firmly on the spot where you would normally bleed a Tuna. They go dead quite and die within a minute. Don't ask me why this works but I have personally done it a few times and are amassed still. 

I’ll try that .. how are you old fella?Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 1:55pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep try it.
2nd week into five weeks off fishing but weather mutter mutter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 10:15pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Shane, I saw you mentioned upgrading to hydraulic steering , so I just thought I would suggest the mechanical non feedback steering that uses planetary gears in the steering box. I was going to put hydraulic steering into my boat about 5 years ago but was firstly put off by the price at around $2k at the time and also by the fact that if you blow a seal or a hose at sea you could loose all steering. The non feedback steering box was only about $150 or so  from Silverdale Marine , fitted it myself on existing cable , and it does everything that I was expecting of hydraulic steering. I can take my hands off the wheel while trolling, turn the seat around and watch the rods. Well done on the Mahi's and thanks for the filleting tip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 8:58pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I agree with the no feedback helm. Added that to my last boats and in reality better than hydraulic as zero creep. Only problem is you still have a cable and I've broken a couple at sea. Makes for a fun trip home. I have hydraulic now as larger engine 140hp = too hard on the cables. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys Krow and Rowboat Bob. so guess what I ask for is to replace steering with “non feedback steering in cable that uses planters gearsL. correct me if wrong as going to action this soon. As always prefer more cost effective and less likely to fail options. People I use are Brett’s Marine.. are pretty good but like to know what asking for.
Know you know your stuff Doug. And heard you out at trench yesterday. Fishing was pretty fickle last couple days compared to before the storm. Was on Sambosi last couple of days and  was pretty uneventful for us although saw couple free jumpers on Tuesday.
Weird how that 150m line line produced 3 fish for 1 boat but no one else, even though there were lots of others tried there and thereabouts. Lot of crap floating around out there including what looked like half of a small roof.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:21pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Shane , If you go to Silverdale Marine and ask for a Non Feedback Steering Box they should have one . I bought one for a mate about a year ago , I think it was about $170. Make sure you feed the cable in the right hole when installing . My mate had it installed at a marine shop and the apprentice put the cable in the wrong way and the steering wheel had to be turned the opposite way to where he wanted to go . Sounded like a right palarva at the ramp when he found out after launching. I installed mine myself , nothing to it . cheers