Holiday folly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holiday folly
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Came home today, best parts were what I learnt.
1)  On a 5 hour trip home,  you need to find the right radio station and enjoy your trip ( may have to change your channels a bit), and don’t get too pissed with guys (idiots) using passing lanes in what is an obvious traffic jam. Took us 5 hours from bland bay back to ECB in Auckland towing a boat.
2) always be prepared to help others, got some heavy jumper leads for xmas (still unused). But heard a guy on radio on 30th looking for assistance on a fish… ( we had just lost a marlin on a strike and were hoping for another) but when he made call he had seen us (we are small craft and he even smaller in a big swell) we looked for him and found him, and helped land fish I think was fish of lifetime and I have seen a 78kg Yellow fin weighed… and believe this was bigger.
Anyway who cares the fish was cut up and none wasted. And I would of run out of fuel and so would of he running down to Tuts in rough conditions to weigh it, let alone getting back to home base. Angler was not a club member and wasn’t concerned about not weighing it, other than getting his big fish home and on ice. And I really respect that.. real stuff goes on on the water and this guy is an awesome angler and boatman.
3) forgive and forget when beach launching … always remember to explain your truck has a manual hand brake if someone launching your trailer is more familiar with a push button hand brakes on modern cars … explain that your truck has a manual hand operation lever before launch or retrieve. Even if when they eventually find it, they almost run you over with your own trailer.
4) offer to help bring in or move bigger boats than your own that are moored or anchored when is a big weather system about to roll in, but don’t be too critical of those (friends or family) trying to bring their own boat to a trailer in cross wind and not quite driving on, even if you have better skills based on years of practise.
5) make sure most ranch sliders are left open on New Year’s Eve so people (like your wife) doesn’t their break nose.
…. Lastly try to be modest if you catch the biggest snapper in inner harbour while on holiday and use it as a mitigation for other transgressions like not being first on doing dishes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 7:52am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sounds like an interesting sort of day Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 10:25am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good post Shaneg. Thats a decent YF alright. Hard to get into the boat - guessing that may have been his problem.
Your cat looks very impressed with your fish.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 10:54am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 11:14am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Alan he really just needed a hand gaffing and boating it. As per photo he was tiller steering and harnessed in fighting fish stand up. He had a flying gaff set up when I got on board and I also took my biggest fixed head gaff, so could get 2 gaffs shots into head of fish once fish was alongside.
I was aboard for last hour and half of fight, was a stubborn fish and took over 3 and half hours to land. We eventually in last half hour got sufficient angle on line to plane fish up, did that about 5 times getting fish to near surface before he took line back down, each time fish got a bit weaker, eventually enough to bring alongside.

I had not noticed cat in photo..he is my brother in laws cat. The cat was born in bland bay but now lives in Nothcote. He returns to north regularly for holidays to hunt rabbits successfully and give the local dog population a bit of hard time. While fierce and formidable with other animals he is very affectionate with people, especially if they bring him fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 11:28am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They come so far, then draw the line. No more. You think you are winning - until they get to that point, then it is all on again.
Well done jumping ship to help out.
I was struggling with one once (solo) and could not get it up and over the side of the boat. A charter guy came alongside and offered to chuck his deckie in the drink to swim over.
I finally managed - using the swells. But it can be near impossible on your own once they get to that size.
That bloke did real well harnessed and tiller steering and fighting for that long. He won't forget that fish.
Did you try circling the fish? That often breaks the deadlock.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See above added comment regards the cheeky super cat in photo.

Yes we tried circling and to break his rythym but nearer end most success we had was driving away from him even losing bit of hard fought line but getting more angle on line rather than having him circling under boat. You also don’t want to be fighting the fish over same 50m piece of line … as we lost a big one doing that many years ago.

This is first time I have got on another boat to help someone else with a fish but I have had others jump on and help me on two other occasions, quite a few years ago to help me while solo land a marlin,  and only last year to release a marlin. So it feels good to be able to help someone else for change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 1:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He did well just keeping his balance tied to such a big fish in a slightly sloppy sea. The boat has low gunwhales. The lower transom would help with landing it. But I brace myself against the gunwhale. I doubt he could do that, so had to balance the whole time - against the sea and a big fish trying to pull him in. Hard yards.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 3:01pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Shane, just out of interest, what rod and reel setup was the guy using on that YF.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 5:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TLD 50 new 24 kg line , shimano 24 kg rod , had an alloy reel seat and high mount Fuji type standard guides. Pretty nice action rod actually.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 6:37pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great post - thanks for sharing and top effort giving the guys a hand Shane!