Alum cat running great into the wind, downwind not

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alum cat running great into the wind, downwind not
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 3:50pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have recently built a 4.5m aluminium catamaran and have spent a lot of time testing to get the optimum set up for the motor height with a number of other modifications (extending the hulls, centre sponson).
I have been testing it in all sorts of conditions in a local river which is very wide. Into the wind and waves it goes like a cut cat (no pun intended) but when going down wind it (the motor) really doesn't like it. There are no waves to speak of just surface ripple.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this would be?? It will be creating lift going into the wind but I don't know why I can't get the same sort of performance (it's a fishing boat predominantly but wanting to do the occasion biscuiting with the kids) either way. Not that I'm looking for performance per se but just don't want the motor to bog down like it does depending on wind direction. Any help appreciated...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:13pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good upwind and not so good downwind is a characteristic of most cats, including those with twin motors. As a previous cat owner, (twin motors) I found they can be brilliant in some conditions and not so flash in other conditions. It was certainly a learning curve driving a cat after previously owning mono hulls. Increasing the speed often resulted in a better ride. Try trimming the motor up and opening the throttle (sensibly of course) and see what happens.    

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 8:57am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sailors know it as 'apparent wind' 

- less pressure under the bridge-deck going down wind = less lift
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 7:13am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got any more photos of the boat and build process? Some of us like looking at projects.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shambles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 4:33pm
Shambles View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate,
I don’t have any answers to your question but have a 4.5m cat myself. If you’re interested in checking out my setup, or just discussing small power cats quirks, let me know. I have a few questions of my own. I think it’s a great platform though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 11:07am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here's a couple of photos of build etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 11:10am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 11:12am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 11:14am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 11:20am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Shambles. Yeah mate I'm very keen to discuss cats with you! Could you send a few photos on your other post of your minicat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:36am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Update: I think I've nearly cracked it! Went for a run I the river yesterday at Foxton. There was a fair breeze blowing at times up and down the length of the river so it was good to test into the wind (optimum) full throttle and very quick again with lots of wind being pushed into the tunnel creating good lift. The runs with the wind behind us initially were frustrating because there was a noticeable difference in performance. I found opening it up to full throttle made it run better with the outboard liking it more. Still about 80% of the into the wind results but I was happy enough.The lower down revs not so much. Again more wind forced down the tunnel...Also this was the first time I tried the longer anti-cavitation plate that I made. I think it made quite a difference when trimmed up. The new plate extends around 100mm longer to the rear.
While we were there my kids and I tried out their new ski biscuit which went well too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good work, you must have been a bit worried initially
Best gurnard fisherman in my street