Anchor drum winch motor bu.......ered

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor drum winch motor bu.......ered
    Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 4:26pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive got a Viper drum anchor winch. The drum and motor is inside the anchor well. After 4 years use, the motor has conked out, because of water inside the well entering the motor. I assume its been submerged on occasion, from sea water coming over the bow (and anchor well). Possibly might have been rain water I suppose too.

Its cost $1600 to get the motor replaced. Im not sure if its covered by manufacturers warranty; Im looking into that.

IM just wondering how to stop it happening again. One thing is the drain pipe out of the anchor well - its far too small I think, so Ill look at putting a bigger pipe in there. What else could I do? Denso tape around the motor sounds a like a good idea, as a last ditch protection if it does become submerged.

Anyone have ideas based on experience of this problem?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 8:07pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You need to have a bigger drain hole and cover the top somehow. A hinged lid will work. It doesn't need to be watertight at all, just overlap the hole and then most water will run off. Obviously you will need a cut in it to let the chain out. 

A photo will help.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 5:39am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Denso will certainly help a lot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 6:39am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dads was covered under warranty, boat was only 2 years old though so still in warranty period.
Took it off. Took it to smart marine new one came back. Slapped it in. Happy days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 5:39pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a drum winch + motor in the anchor well everything covered in Denzo. Worked perfectly and just a little bit unsightly but better that than bu**ered! The winch I had was never guaranteed for water ingress so that's why I coated it. Unfortunately the anchor well is a very wet place whether it's salt water or at flushing so it's really a no brainer to coat the winch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 12:27pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey PM me or email me [email protected] it will be covered under warranty send me details of who did the work etc and I can discuss with you and get you sorted. Cheers Blair
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 12:31pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Denny Boy Denny Boy wrote:

I had a drum winch + motor in the anchor well everything covered in Denzo. Worked perfectly and just a little bit unsightly but better that than bu**ered! The winch I had was never guaranteed for water ingress so that's why I coated it. Unfortunately the anchor well is a very wet place whether it's salt water or at flushing so it's really a no brainer to coat the winch.

Denso tape doesn't let the motors cool down so if you have to do it just do it around the joins and terminals in the motor so the body can let the heat out otherwise you will kill brushes in half the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 12:31pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Ive got a Viper drum anchor winch. The drum and motor is inside the anchor well. After 4 years use, the motor has conked out, because of water inside the well entering the motor. I assume its been submerged on occasion, from sea water coming over the bow (and anchor well). Possibly might have been rain water I suppose too.

Its cost $1600 to get the motor replaced. Im not sure if its covered by manufacturers warranty; Im looking into that.

IM just wondering how to stop it happening again. One thing is the drain pipe out of the anchor well - its far too small I think, so Ill look at putting a bigger pipe in there. What else could I do? Denso tape around the motor sounds a like a good idea, as a last ditch protection if it does become submerged.

Hey PM me or email me [email protected] it will be covered under warranty send me details of who did the work etc and I can discuss with you and get you sorted. Cheers Blair
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 7:49pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Gappy Gappy wrote:

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 10:17am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Gappy Gappy wrote:

Nice to see an offer of assistance. Worthy of a login and a 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 3:54pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have sent a warranty claim through the retailer who sold me the boat with the Viper winch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 7:42pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have sent a warranty claim through the retailer who sold me the boat with the Viper winch.

Hi I am offering to help you here I deal with the warranty claims for these as we import them and have not seen a claim for a motor etc so if you tell me who you purchased it thru u will contact them. Problem is the claim should of been dealt with before it been repaired as thats normal process. It's up to you if you want me to help you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 11:56am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK. The Viper winch motor has been replaced by Fish City. 

And they replaced the kinked drain pipe with a straight one, that drains quickly (as it should).

Further, I have applied a CRC Leak Stop spray, to a seam around the bottom of the motor, and where the 2 electric cables enter. I am very impressed with this Leak Stop - it dries hard in a thick layer but still flexible like rubber. NOte - as its all stainless steel, doesnt need protection from corrosion, so I thought Denso tape wasnt appropriate. Crossing my fingers etc that it lasts ok for a lot more than another 5 years. 

Incidentally, just back from a fish (near Tiritiri Matangi island), and I had a  to raise the anchor twice for a stupid reason - the wind was against the tide, bu..ger, as the boat swung around, a nylon line went around the anchor rope; got a snapper on and couldnt bring it in, so had to raise the anchor to clear it. Then, straight away, put down a berley pot, and dam the rope went round the anchor rope! Not my day. Its times like this, IM very pleased to have an anchor winch! 
THe fishing was hard (they are on their xmas break), but still managed 5 snapper. THis caps a very good fishing year, miles more snapper around than previously. Merry xmas to fellow fishos.