Tow Vehicles, yet again

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 11:52am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The garage rang, kind of good news and bad news.  The good news is that after fitting the new cam belt and push rods I got them it is now running fine.  But the bad news is that they have no idea why the timing belt snapped either.  I'm torn between just using it and hoping it doesn't happen again and selling it while its running and getting something else.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 6:53am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When was the Cambelt last replaced? It's best practice to change a cambelt every 100,000km for that very reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 9:59am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

When was the Cambelt last replaced? It's best practice to change a cambelt every 100,000km for that very reason.

That's the odd thing, the cam belt was only a couple of years old and had only done 15,000km or less.  As you would expect it looked in excellent condition, apart from being snapped, so something jammed solid enough to snap it but when the garage looked everything was running freely.  Which is what worries me about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 7:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If it was loose (enough) it could have jumped a few teeth, then jammed.
Is it an auto tensioner, or do you have to tighten?
If auto, is it jammed/stiff.
Maybe it was wrongly set at the beginning - some of them can be tricky to install.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 4:41am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On our car, a tiny piece of timing chain guide (which is made of plastic) broke off when I hit a severe bump. This fell down and ending up going between the crank pulley and the timing chain, causing it to jump a couple of teeth. We were really lucky in that while it buggered up the timing, it didn't jump far enough to cause damage. Took quite a while to work out why the timing was suddenly out, as it affected the low rpm a lot  more than high RPM.

Maybe something like that happened, or as Alan said the tensioner could be not working.

Was the tensioner replaced with the cambelt?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 5:03am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

On our car, a tiny piece of timing chain guide (which is made of plastic) broke off when I hit a severe bump. This fell down and ending up going between the crank pulley and the timing chain, causing it to jump a couple of teeth. We were really lucky in that while it buggered up the timing, it didn't jump far enough to cause damage. Took quite a while to work out why the timing was suddenly out, as it affected the low rpm a lot  more than high RPM.

Maybe something like that happened, or as Alan said the tensioner could be not working.

Was the tensioner replaced with the cambelt?
Tensioners . Yes I know from talking to a couple of mechanis when changing belts they sometimes do not change tensioner. They carry out a bench test for tensioning. My boy did a belt change via youtube. While you have things a part change tensioner/idle pulley,belt,water pump. Toyota camry pre 1990.2.5lt. Parts from aussie all up $180. Had the belt 1 tooth out so lacked power,adjusted it and ran like a dream. Sold it to his friend,done 10 thousand now no issues,2 yrs old.

So brings it to mind faulty belt or cheap after market part,nicked belt when replacing?I see a lot of car manufactures are ditching the belt and gone back to chains.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:32am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In that price bracket I’d look at an early Touareg VW. Lates is $150k. Only cause I’ve used one issue free for 8 years and tow an extreme 645. Twice a year from Whangarei to Taupo no probs and these wagons are crazy good on slippery stuff. Often I can’t walk on boat ramp slim pulling myself along car sides to get in but pulls loaded up boat no probs. I also do beach fishing so a bit of dune work, biggest plus is they are sooo comfortable to drive with all the luxurious.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 1:57pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quick update in case anyone was interested.  I sourced a set of secondhand pushrods and bought a new cambelt, which the garage fitted before Christmas.  After fitting these it ran fine.  I've done about 500km over the holidays and so far, so good.  I would like to upgrade but suspect that without a lot of luck it can't be done on the budget I wanted to do it on.  Loved the look of the Toureg, but at the age/mileage I could afford trouble with the air suspension seems quite common and very expensive to fix -more than the car would be worth expensive.
Page  <12