Tow Vehicles, yet again

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles, yet again
    Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:46am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For reasons that will be obvious if you've seen my other post, I'm looking into a new tow vehicle.  I have an FC595 boat, which I think is about 1200 kg.  I live on a rural section that is quite steep, so really would like 4wd with low ratio box if possible.  I'm looking for a diesel.  The tricky bit is that I can't justify spending much as I don't use my car a lot.  I was looking at spending $5-10k, the nearer the bottom end of that range the better.

Looking on trademe, that price range seems to be filled with Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles from around 2006-2009.  I know nothing about these, anyone used one for a tow vehicle?  What were they like?  Anything else I should be looking for, or avoiding?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:41am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That year Santa Fe is more like a toy all wheel drive.

From memory, dont quote me its been a good 10 years since my parents had the 2006 santa fe. But it was full time front wheel drive with a button to make it all wheel drive that would cut out over 40kph.

Was open diff and useless on beaches firm or soft and that was pulling a 520 lazercraft.

Concrete or gravel id imagine no worries but if its mud, wet grass or sand. Think twice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 10:08am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had an IX35, towed the 5.8 Surtess ok on a flat road but was low so had to be careful especially on judder bars etc.

This had done approx 150,000km and started clunking at times, found out a common fault in these Santa Fe and Kia is a failure with the AWD.  What was bad was we could not get a new part.  The only part found was at the bottom of the South Island.  Fixed and now another employee has it.  more explained here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtBfWbH_I4

So getting one fixed may be a problem.

Because of running costs the petrol Prado is at the high end of your price bracket
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 10:25am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks, looks like I can cross off the Santa Fe.  i wasn't sure if it was "real" 4 wheel drive or not.  The Sorento seems to be, it has a selector for 2 high, 4 high and 4 low anyway and one advert mentioned diff locks.  It's monumentally ugly, but I can live with that if it does the job.

I had a petrol 4x4 once, pretty sure I couldn't afford to fuel one these days -and I really don't go very far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:47am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HI Kevin
Have a look at Subaru outback 3lt wagons,all wheel drive,$5k will get a good 2004/2005 model. I have one and tows way better than my old holden 3.5 ute ever did.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:01pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Petrol is cheaper than diesel these days. If you are not using the vehicle much, why wouldn't petrol be an option?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 7:23am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you tow regularly, I recommend a full ladder chassis type vehicle. The petrol patrols can be cheap to pick up if you look enough as it's the diesel everyone wants. I was about to sell a work one for $5000, but someone kindly wrote it off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 12:23pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have a good look at the pre 09 Kia Sorento. Full ladder chassis and low ratio 4WD. They'd have no trouble pulling your FC.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 3:38pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Have a good look at the pre 09 Kia Sorento. Full ladder chassis and low ratio 4WD. They'd have no trouble pulling your FC.

Yes, that seems to be ticking all the boxes.  Anything I need to be aware of with them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:41pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to have a Subaru Forrester and it towed an AMF 5.8m no problems at all, used to tow down to Waihau from Tauranga, never had any issues. The AMF would weigh very similar to a FC 5.95. You should be able to pick a good one up in that price range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 1:05pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just don't go near any Subaru with the 4 cylinder 2.5L engine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 1:13pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sambosi Sambosi wrote:

Thats why we got 6cyclinder 3lt  the 2.5lt has head gasket issues.transmission is another area of concern.  The boy did his homework first as we brought it off him.Took him 6 months to find the outback.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 1:46pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Sambosi Sambosi wrote:

Thats why we got 6cyclinder 3lt  the 2.5lt has head gasket issues.transmission is another area of concern.  The boy did his homework first as we brought it off him.Took him 6 months to find the outback.

2.5 also has a timing belt rather than the 6 cyl 3 litre's timing chain - the belt needs replacing after 100k or risk totaling the engine if it goes. My 3.0 did a great job towing an unbraked 1.5 tonne tinny. Plenty of weight on the drawbar gave good stability on the road, no problem with braking but worked hard on our steep ramp, and pretty thirsty. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The bigger Subies get some good cred Kevin, if you just use it for towing to our local it would eat it up. I haven't towed my boat any real distance in many years.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 6:37pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The H6 Outback is a very nice car and would tow the boat no problem, but I'm quite keen on something with low ratio as I've had to use that now and then moving it around here.  It's quite a serious slope on the drive, a builder tried to bring a loaded trailer up recently with his Ranger and it couldn't do it (I think it might have been a 2WD model).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 7:01am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had two Forresters (ex lease) which I purchased at about 65,000km and sold at about 180,000 km never had any trouble with them at all. Yes you have to change the timing belt at 100,000km, but that was the only major expense I had.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 8:26am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All I would do if I owned another Kia for towing would be to put some heavier shocks in the back. If there's too much weight on the tow bar they tend to be a wee bit light in the front end. Not an issue on short trips though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 10:14am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just to throw a couple more in the mix, anyone got any experience of a Ssangyong Rexton 2.7 diesel or a VW Taureg 3.0 diesel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 11:01am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a mate who used to pull a 5.6 Steadcraft with a Rexton. Heavy boat for its size and the Rexton had no issues whatsoever. You'd be a bit over budget I'd imagine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 11:18am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

I have a mate who used to pull a 5.6 Steadcraft with a Rexton. Heavy boat for its size and the Rexton had no issues whatsoever. You'd be a bit over budget I'd imagine.

Would be over budget for a newer one, but older (2005-2008) models come in budget.
Page  12>