which reel?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which reel?
    Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:52pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I need a couple of replacement/spare small spinning reels for catching bait. Usually skippies.
Have had a shimano 4000, and a jarvis walker 5000. Both are ideal, but the Shimano finally gave up a month or two ago. Stripped a gear. The JW is getting grumpy - replaced a few bits in it.
In that size range, what would you guys suggest. These reels get a fair bit of work and have caught plenty of fish. The trouble is the bait can range from Flying fish, to very large skippies - you can't choose what jumps on the line. They have caught mahi before. I got spooled once. But I am looking for about 100m of 40lb braid capacity.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:22pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldn't go past the Penn Slammers for most applications now, apart from lightweight softbaiting. The Penn Authority reels are in the next price bracket. The look damn good, but I have no personal experience. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 4:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thx I will check them out.
I am twixt and tween between spending good $s on small reels, or buying cheapo throw-aways.
These reels get a hard time - see a lot of use, and from time to time are asked to do more than they were designed for. (Now that I think about it, that scenario goes for most of my reels). So I can't complain when they finally fail.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 5:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Small Trinidads are the ducks nuts IMO
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 5:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a tough choice. Check out some of the YouTube videos on the Slammers, close to bullet proof. I say close because someone always questions their water resistance or has an example of the roller seizing or such like. My point is that they are one of the most resilient spinning reels available which sounds ideal for your needs. I used one on the jetski with no covers and it held up well which is saying something. I'm not a complete Slammer fan boy, they are damn heavy which is why I avoid them for softbaiting. You may find some discounted Slammer IIIs now the Slammer IVs are on the market. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 5:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ooops 'spinning reels' Smudge! Embarrassed

If you ever want an overhead for that stuff avoid the newer Calcuttas. No clicker, not terribly reliable. What a shame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 11:26pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Of recent times there have been some good things said on this site of the AliExpress Kastking reels. As a cheapy they may be worth a look.  If you were to go down that path the Kastking Sharky lll 5000 model would be my choice.  More than enough drag at 18kg, weight 299g and a spool capacity of around 180m of 40lb line.
As has been mentioned the Penn Slammer lV look the goods.  The 4500 model once again has more than enough drag at 13.6kg max, weight 430g and a spool capacity of around 210m of 40lb line.  The price however is 4-5 times the Kastking.  Marine Deals NZ have them advertised at $399.
I'm a Shimano man so given the choice between the Penn Slammer and a Shimano I'd be looking at the Saragosa 6000HG.  10kg max drag, weight 455g and a spool capacity of around 240m of 40lb braid.  I can currently buy these at AU$300.  Marine Deals NZ$429.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 12:20am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Penn fierce in size 6000 non bait runner model, Have 8000 you can basically catch anything on them, If have more to spend Penn slammer or Penn v series,. Even more money buy Penn Authority ( think that’s what they are called) …. was kayak fishing in weekend and next to me my fellow anglers raving about those reels- both guys next to me had them. Hardyakker has the 2500 Authority… and does more fishing than anyone I know of.  Personally, must bloody amazing if better than the Penn fierce which is many hundreds of  $s cheaper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 6:56am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do it properly and get a Stradic 4000/5000 Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:54am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've seen big fish take a small lure, including several marlin. With that in mind, I will only put a skippy lure out on a rig capable of handling a marlin. This means a lever drag and 500 metres of 15 kg mono, minimum. My Shimano TLD25 has landed 4 marlin on 15 kg and is a versatile reel. I'd only use a lever drag when trolling.

A smaller reel with braid will do the trick but I like to have harness lugs, being a weakling.

I don't have my TLD25 any more and when we go marlin trolling, to avoid rod clutter we have a 4/0 with 800 metres of braid and use that a a small lure outfit that can be used as a full-blown marlin outfit.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 5:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

If you ever want an overhead for that stuff avoid the newer Calcuttas. No clicker, not terribly reliable. What a shame.
When I think about it, it probably doesn't need to be a spinning reel. Just that is what I have always used.
No chance of catching a marlin on it. I don't tow skippy lures. All my bait is caught on flies. Small flies. Very small flies.
But yes, you can get mahi and it doesn't take much of a YF to give you issues. But on the hooks I use, 2 kg drag would be the max.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 6:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

I've seen big fish take a small lure, including several marlin. With that in mind, I will only put a skippy lure out on a rig capable of handling a marlin. This means a lever drag and 500 metres of 15 kg mono, minimum. My Shimano TLD25 has landed 4 marlin on 15 kg and is a versatile reel. I'd only use a lever drag when trolling.

A smaller reel with braid will do the trick but I like to have harness lugs, being a weakling.

I don't have my TLD25 any more and when we go marlin trolling, to avoid rod clutter we have a 4/0 with 800 metres of braid and use that a a small lure outfit that can be used as a full-blown marlin outfit.

We learnt that 11 or 12 years ago when my son Arron hooked a solid stripey on one of Uncle's lures were were trolling for skippies. We had a Penn 330 GTi and we had that fish on for three to four hours when brain fade got us. Despite all the advice on these forums, that's what we did. Unfortunately we are slow learners and still use gear like that for tuna. You just can't help some people Big smile

At least it gives me & Skoti endless amounts of funny stuff to use against Arron even if it wasn't his fault Clown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 6:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

When I think about it, it probably doesn't need to be a spinning reel. Just that is what I have always used.
No chance of catching a marlin on it. I don't tow skippy lures. All my bait is caught on flies. Small flies. Very small flies.
But yes, you can get mahi and it doesn't take much of a YF to give you issues. But on the hooks I use, 2 kg drag would be the max.
Alan

That's impressive Alan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 7:28pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If overhead reels are now on the cards, I would now like to put forward the old tld star 20/40. Super easy to maintain, big stainless steel gears, simple solid construction that refuses to die and only second to the TSM, although they are nearly the same reel.
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 7:44pm
Bertiesdad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If the drag limit is set to two kilos then pretty much any 4000 size will do- or even a decent 2000. My little Shimano- admittedly one of their better models- has dealt with Kings up to 15kg on a lightweight spinning rod with a casting limit of 15 g throwing a micro jig. Its amazing what the quality gear will handle. if budget can stretch I would always get the best I can afford- that way it'll do service on bait, skippies, jigging and straylining. I always think the "I can get ten of these for one of those" approach just creates landfill and probably costs fish when the gear fails at exactly the wrong moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 7:58pm
Bertiesdad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

forgot to add reckon Shimano Stradic in 4000 will do everything you need and more. The stradics have come on a heap and now use gears that up until four years ago was only on the top dollar stellas and vanquish models. It'll be bomb proof.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:53am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - well one of my most recent reels to die was a Shimano 4000 (or 5000 - had one reel was a 4000 one a 5000 - can't remember which was which).  
The spool looks small, but it served me OK for about 3 yrs, before the gear that spreads the line on the spool failed.
Thanks guys - got a few options to check out.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 9:00am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We learnt that 11 or 12 years ago when my son Arron hooked a solid stripey on one of Uncle's lures were were trolling for skippies. 

I've had 3 marlin attacks on Uncle's MacSkippy lures. Well, 2, as a skippy I was winding in at Taheke reef got eaten by a very large marlin (probably a Black). Hook pulled. The other 2 stayed on longer & 1 was tagged (not me as angler).
Those MacSkippy lure have also had good sized Kingies, 2 YFT and a decent Mahimahi, too.
Uncle used to say when the comms tuna boats sent for extra lures he knew that big fish were amongst the albies. 1 MacSkippy lure would land 1000 albies.
I still use his Sabikis and especially like the small recurve sabikis.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amraha A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 7:23am
Amraha A View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I want to go saltwater fishing but don't have any proper guidance about the reel brand. Some say that the Shimano is the best, while others prefer Daiwa. A little bit of confusion I have. Please if someone has some experience guide me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 10:49am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Amraha A Amraha A wrote:

I want to go saltwater fishing but don't have any proper guidance about the reel brand. Some say that the Shimano is the best, while others prefer Daiwa. A little bit of confusion I have. Please if someone has some experience guide me.

Amraha, your IP address indicates you are based in Pakistan, I don't know the conditions there to advise you.