Is boating in Ak going to be a thing of the past

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is boating in Ak going to be a thing of the past
    Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 11:14am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi team.
Some of you would have seen my previous posts regarding a petition for Bayswater Boat ramp and then submitting against the development at Bayswater.

THANKS to those of you that took the time, signed the petition and submitted against this development.
The update, at the closing of the hearing the council withdrew it's support for the development,  the applicant had a right of reply and submitted another set of plans.
No one was allowed to comment on these revised plans which in my opinion are just as bad if not worse for both the public and the boating community.
We now await a decision from the commissioners.

While this is happening there is a group of people that are still fighting, not only for Bayswater but all marina's, hardstands and access to the water for the public to remain the same or be improved.

They are contributing many hours to this,  lobbying MP's and councilors and trying to make more aware of what's happening. 

It is difficult to spread the word as any advertising costs money and time. At present most funds are being spent on professionals to help fight our loss to the water.

The fight for Bayswater had many saying "we don't use that ramp so its doesn't affect us".  YES it does and if we don't all stand together we will loose more, those ramps left will have queues far longer than they are now and those with moored boats (on a marina or mooring) will have to booked months if not years ahead to simply comply with keeping a clean hull.

Below is one poster that will be circulating regarding this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 1:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good work Otto. I have never used the Bayswater Marina but entered a submission for the very reason you stated - it will affect all of us eventually if we don't stand together.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 9:38am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, I did the same as Smudge never used Bayswater but keen to support.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 10:54am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Landing by all accounts the RAYC want it gone.They need it for storage?? Its only a matter of time before clubs loose their facilities,compliance cost/health safety issues.

Been out out of a moored vessel now 5/6 yrs and cannot see myself buying another. Trailered boats,bouyant market,maintaince less cost. stored at home and it blow like hell,no more sleepless nights.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 5:24pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Used Bayswater for years. Its a total piece of sh-t and prefer these days to go off narrow neck. Takapuna grammars rowing club is based down there too which  me young fella is part of so would like to see it keep open for as long as possible to the public.
Good on ya Otto.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 8:55am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea i hear the RAYC are pushing to have it closed as well,  the storage in their fancy new building which was replacing the sheds they did have are now a restaurant and function room.

Narrow neck is good for some but not me, especially if i'm taking out kids and in the middle of summer is mayhem and dangerous to maneuver around the public.

As far as the rowing club goes, what i heard over the weekend is not long and waiting on confirmation regarding that.  Another reason why we all need to object, i have no interest in rowing but as mentioned we should all be fighting for water access for all users.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 9:10pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Use Bayswater regularly, not so much since I moved to Browns Bay a couple of years ago, but it is still on my list of regular launch sites, especially late summer.  Getting old, so a nice easy weather ramp like Bayswater is ideal for me.  

I lodged my objection but have basically given up with all the to-ing and fro-ing: clearly there are people with lots of money doing what they can to build this, and they will just outlast and out-muscle ordinary people
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 11:17am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

An update,  the council withdrew its support for Bayswater but the commissioner’s granted consent, figure that out!  There are many comments on this page about improving or installing boat-ramps and access to the water.  Unfortunately many Ak Councilors do not share your view!

The good news is that the AYBA (Auckland Yacht and Boating Association) has joined the fight along with the support of the AMUA (Auckland Marina users Association inc.).  While the first fight is at Bayswater this will also provide evidence for other battles they are currently fighting.  These include the hardstand at Okahu Bay and Little Shoal Bay, while watching Pine Harbour and Hobsonville Marinas and more than likely your boat ramp.  This fight is not just about Bayswater. This is about access to the water for all marine users and our grandchildren.  Other councils are also watching what is happening and being allowed so be warned.  Both the AYBA and the AMUA are run by volunteers, unpaid fighting for your access to the water so let’s support them.

If every fisho donated $5-$10 we would have a fighting chance, heck we can't spend it on fuel with this weather. 

Thanks to one generous supporter the appeal was able to be filed as they picked up the tab but this is only the beginning.

Remember the AYBA are fighting to get access to the water to remain and be improved for all users through-out AK.

Donations here; 

http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/bayswater-marina-needs-to-remain-a-marine-precinct
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 12:38pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^^^^^^^^^
what he said!!!

Edit: Takapuna Grammar Rowing Club has now also lodged a seperate appeal to the Environment Court.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 1:42pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

^^^^^^^^^
what he said!!!

Edit: Takapuna Grammar Rowing Club has now also lodged a seperate appeal to the Environment Court.

Thanks SaltyC 
Yep two appeals filed,  hopefully two more have also been done.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 3:46pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IVe donated $200. SUpport it !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:24pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry fellas done deal I think. Where was Auckland yachting association at the start of proceedings??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:51pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Sorry fellas done deal I think. Where was Auckland yachting association at the start of proceedings??

That's not the attitude and yes both AYBA and AMUA have been heavily supportive from the beginning.  If they weren't they could not appeal.
I have started getting more active after meetings with these groups who are unpaid and small in number.
Apart from time it is also costing them money,  their personal money!

One party who has retired now spends many hours driving 2.5hrs from home to Ak to help with our case.

We can all sit back do nothing and say that these developers have won but personally i believe we have a case, and a good one.  This case is not just about Bayswater which is why the AYBA has appealed. This will also support further sites.

If all marine users gave a small donation we would have a far stronger case and my grand children may even get to still go boating in the future.

We need more legends like "letsgetem"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:54pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Otto Otto wrote:

That's not the attitude and yes both AYBA and AMUA have been heavily supportive from the beginning.  If they weren't they could not appeal.
I have started getting more active after meetings with these groups who are unpaid and small in number.
Apart from time it is also costing them money,  their personal money!

One party who has retired now spends many hours driving 2.5hrs from home to Ak to help with our case.

We can all sit back do nothing and say that these developers have won but personally i believe we have a case, and a good one.  This case is not just about Bayswater which is why the AYBA has appealed. This will also support further sites.

If all marine users gave a small donation we would have a far stronger case and my grand children may even get to still go boating in the future.

We need more legends like "letsgetem"

Page is still pending. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 6:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just thinking a bit further on this. User pays or looses. Events like the Americas cup do not help boating in Auckland when one sees televised massive gin palaces worth big $$$ gives the impression that all boaties are rich.  So why would AK council want to object,particullarly now when the city is about to dive millions in to the red?? They will take any $$ today regardless on morals..

I pay to use a ramp now and are happy with arrangement. Yes there is public ramp available
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 7:02am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just thinking a bit further on this. User pays or looses. Events like the Americas cup do not help boating in Auckland when one sees televised massive gin palaces worth big $$$ gives the impression that all boaties are rich.  So why would AK council want to object,particullarly now when the city is about to dive millions in to the red?? They will take any $$ today regardless on morals..

I pay to use a ramp now and are happy with arrangement. Yes there is public ramp available

There may be ramps today, but tomorrow??
And here is a comment (unofficial) i heard through the grapevine.  One of the reasons the give a little page was started is to gauge support from the wider boating community.  So if a few donate a bit there is not much support and perhaps they need to reassess what they are spending.  If thousands (which there are) donated a little it would show support and help send the message.  

This is about pushing for a commitment from council to have a plan that existing marine facilities and regional assets that allow marine users to access the water are kept and improved on whether it be for rowing clubs, trailer boats, haul outs or those in marinas.

One squeaky wheel alone is not going to be enough.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 6:06am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They call themselves the City of Sails. It would be good if they remember the importance of boats ramps and other facilities to achieve that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dakiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 10:49am
Dakiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Ive donated it is something i feel strongly about , Fishing and access to water for our children , it may not affect me here in Gisborne for awhile but the way the  govt is going eventually it will. There is no better way to bring our family up right than to spend time with them rather than let them sit  on the TV . If the Govt gave the families more incentive to do these things then NZ would have less problems 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 11:18am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm sure councils, and Auckland Council in particular would rather boaties with their fossil fuel guzzling machines would just go away. It doesn't fit with the direction they want things to move in. Why anyone would want to live in Auckland and put up with all this **** is beyond me. Most over-rated city in the country, if not the world!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 12:37pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldnt be too concerned about ramps going. I would be more concerned with Councild using the RMA to stop fishing or IWI only areas. Gisborne lastest to be affected,its up for debate but once in Ministers hands it will all be over.

Page  12>