Advice on gear, 30W reels for striped Marlin.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote canadakiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on gear, 30W reels for striped Marlin.
    Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 4:39am
canadakiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would like to pick up a couple sets of game gear, for fishing the Coast of Taranaki this coming season, currently have a Tyros 50 and a cheap H&F rod with the tip broken and shortened, landed two Marlin on it. but it's not very balanced and the drag is not overly smooth at high speed.
 Got a few bucks put aside, and am in Canada till December, A few Black Friday sales on reels in the US.
 I would like to keep the set-up light, due to my small boat just under 5m, 

So questions.
 Looking at a Okumu Makaira 30w, suitable for striped marlin, enough capacity, or would i be better with a 50W, ?
  Avet reels, the EX series, in EXW30 or EX50, anyone used them, there are sum discounted 20-30%, so $440-550 US. quite interested in these, but struggling to find much other than new reviews, 
 I will pick up rods in NZ, 
 I have one question here, Has anyone used the CTS Gamemaster series rods, (NZ Made) I am quite interested in them, after making up couple fly rods from there blanks.
thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 6:42am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

30W reels are ok if you used hollow braid and topshot them with mono, otherwise stick to 50W reels, which are also very light compared to 80W reels
CTS rods are normally well made rods but i dont know that particular model sorry
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 7:40am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've used 30W, 2 speed Tica reels - 2 with braid and other with 15 kg mono and landed 20+ marlin (15 on the mono which gets more use). The Makaira is a better reel and will be prefect for hollow braid. We don't use any top shot and also braid wind-ons.
With a hollow braid, you can make a spliced loop then a top-shot of mono by inserting the mono top-shot into a piece of hollow braid then splice a loop on the top-shot's braid then a loop to loop. Make a couple of top-shots like this for quick change.
You could make top-shots in 15, 24 & 37 kg if you wanted to change weight categories.
I have 2 Makaira 50w reels - one with straight 37 kg mono and the other with hollow braid.
Don't know anything about CTS but they look interesting.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 1:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As others stated - 30W should be adequate. I say adequate, but not plenty. 50W would be plenty.
You are fishing shallow water in the Naki - often 50-100m. That helps.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 3:22pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 2 cents worth. As Fishb8 suggests it really comes down to your choice of mono or braid line.  I have a Tiagra 30 (not a 30W).  The mono capacity is given as 640m of 14kg line.  The braid Power Pro capacity is given as 1655 yards of 50lb or 1513m of 24kg.  By my reckoning this reel would hold around 945m of 37kg braid, perhaps a bit less, depending on the thickness of the braid.  I don't see any capacity issues here.  I've just tested the drag and 8kg at strike gives me 12kg at sunset.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 6:16pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With the advent of braid, people in other parts of the world are using much light gear for game fish, even spinning reels. Kind of stuff most of us use for big kingfish. I'm not an expert, just an observation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 8:50pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

30 size reels filled with 15kg fine for most striped marlin under 100kg, over 100 kg you’ll want to be quick clearing gear if fish takes off.
I fill my smaller reels with braid even 300m of pe5 regular braid underneath (non hollow core) with a good FG knot connection to 300m of  24 kg or even more meters 15kg nylon gives me bit more piece of mind against getting spooled.
Reel in photo above is an Omoto S22 two speed. Braid backed with shorter nylon top shot. Reel actually just as nice as other shimanos, alutecnos, and penn I own, and almost as nice as my 2 everols. Reel below is Penn 16 has 300 braid pe5, top shotted with flouro orange 15kg Stren nylon; and next to it is an everol 30 which has 500m hollow core pe6 or pe7 and is top shotted with 24 kg Maxima nylon memory.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:17pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have landed 3 stripies on a TLD25 / 15 kg off Raglan. Not many blues on west coast.
Also, had a double strike. I took the 15 kg and mate the 37. Decided to get the 37 in quick then the 15. The 37 marlin had different ideas and took a good while to tag. Meanwhile I just let my marlin run. Line down heaps and got well down the spool with free-spool and thumb drag - easily 800 metres out.
Just turned towards fish and backed up at winding speed. The stretch tired out the fish and weighed in at 117 kg..
Funny thing but we have always had a clean strike on 15 kg and always caught them.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To be honest nice 50s if you can pick up are hard to beat for versatility on marlin and can run straight 24 kg nylon. Like that tynos 50 you already have,  maybe running bit rough on drag but probably just needs service from someone good. Recommend Swordfish Steve up here but where you are may be someone can do it.
Once caught a 229kg blue on one of those tynos 50 reels on a charter in Tonga - hell of a reel, especially for the money they go for.
The Okuma Makira 30w probably very good reel, but most of time I grab 50 and 50w reels and take one smaller 30 usually that everol in pic above.
Not too many marlin around usually, so you want catch em. Have caught a few on light tackle and smaller reels and like fishing that way… but small = lesser capability, capacity and margin for error. But is nicer to fish and handle and you can fit more gear/rods in your truck. Was a time I’d only fish 2 x80 tiagras in close and 2 50w tiagras on riggers though and probably scorned those with smaller.  … (was suffering from small boat/ big gear/ medium willy syndrome). Although we didn’t lose many… like only two fish over lot of years. Not counting one blue that spooled us on TLD 50… sort of good reel for stripees but no good on big blues. 
Situation, you need to think about, you get a double or triple on decent strikes and they all stick…you definitely want bigger reels with capacity. Last one I had like that were 3 decent yellowfin… we got them all, only two anglers/2 POB and took turns playing fish and driving boat.
That said I have caught  6 stripees which were 70kg -80 kg  on a torium30 (snapper reel) in a day overseas, all braid and what was clearly a very well serviced drag. But our striped marlin are bit bigger. and can spool off decent amount of line on first and second run. Also fishing a small boat 16ft stabi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:28am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting comments and each to their own. If I was marlin fishing from a sub 5m boat I think I'd rather be holding a Tiagra 30 rather than a 50 / 50W or 80 given that that the 30 will hold the equivalent or more braid line than the others will hold mono. Or even lighter still a Talica 20 or 25.
I just did another test on my Tiagra 30.  With the preset set to 11kgs at strike I get 15kgs at sunset. There is free spool however once the drag engages you are immediately at 4.5kgs drag.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 4:26am
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think you would really enjoy the 30 size reels. As mentioned in the previous comments you will get a tonne of capacity with braid backing and either a 15kg or 24kg topshot. Personally I would fish 15kg, it may be an unpopular opinion, but 15kg is not light tackle and you would be amazed at how hard to break it really is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote canadakiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 4:16pm
canadakiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok, 
Thanks guys, I have ordered a 30W Makaria, and am going to order a 50W for the other reels, most like a Avet 50, or another Makaria, will sort rods once back in NZ. 

Thanks for the advice.