Rock fishing on the north shore

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock fishing on the north shore
    Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 4:55pm
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all, I’ve been getting quite into fishing over the past couple years…
But I’ve never been able to catch anything worth keeping Cry 
I was wondering if I could get some pointers on some good spots on the north shore (off the rocks or wharfs) and how to fish them with good baits and rigs?

Thanks, Richie 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 7:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Richie. It's a tough road getting to learn fishing stuff in a major city like Auckland when you're land based. I think a lot of people give up after a while. 

For instance, back in the late 80's a mate and I decided we were going to catch a kingfish off the rocks. A reasonable humble goal but neither of us had caught a kingfish before. We didn't have a boat and I like to remember how little we knew back then.

It took us three years to get one.

I haven't done a lot of land based fishing in the last 10 years but the successful LB guys I know usually cover these basics:

Use burley and keep the trail going
Have a small spin rod to catch live bait and fish it in the burley trail
On your 'main rod' put out a stray lined bait and keep that in the burley trail
Fish low light times - early morning and evenings
Don't limit yourself to a particular tide
Keep an eye on the water always so you see what is turning up in your burley, in my limited experience I've seen rays, trevally, piper, kingfish, snapper and a pile of bait fish.

I would try the reef systems around Browns Bay, Whangaparaoa.

Let us know how you get on.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 8:55pm
Big H2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There will be a pretty decent influx of snapper in close shortly. Best advice I could give is fresh bait piper sprats etc very little weight 1/4 ounce and fish your feet the snapper come in amazingly close in very shallow water. Warm evening gs on the change of light can be really good. Always worth having a live bait out as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 6:32am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a vid I did on Rock fishing north shore - https://youtu.be/kVEafgH-H54
A couple of others that may help - 
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 6:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Some good advice here Richie. Thanks guys!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 8:55pm
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you guys for that! I’ll give it a try and tell you how I go Big smile