Biofuel Mandate and outboard motors

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biofuel Mandate and outboard motors
    Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:20pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I see the govt. has pushed out the biofuel mandate out to 2024. This is the first I had heard of the mandate.

I avoid petrol with ethanol added for the boat due to the issues with water in the fuel this can cause.

Anyone smarter or more informed than me understand what the mandate actually will mean?

Will it still be possible to source ethanol free fuel post 2024?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:25pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/biodiesel-warning-to-boat-owners-84168

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/the-damaging-effects-of-ethanol-in-your-boats-fuel

Problems Associated With Ethanol

Ethanol is a powerful solvent and that will dissolve fiberglass fuel tanks. Not only does ethanol react with fuel tanks, it also reacts with fuel filters and carburetors.

Ethanol is an excellent cleaner, but at the levels found in E10 gas, it acts as a solvent that cleans sludge while dissolving polymers. This can certainly stop your marine engine.

Ethanol is hygroscopic, which is a scientific term for attracting water. Water from condensation often forms in the fuel tanks of boats. The ethanol attracts and absorbs the condensation. When this occurs, a boat engine may stop working due to water contamination or fuel phase separation. 

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:48pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A lot of rubber fuel lines cannot tolerate ethanol.
Various older cars with injection systems designed for straight petrol cannot run with 10% ethanol. The rubber diaphragms in the fuel heads etc disintegrate.
Yes the greenies say - ditch the old cars. But many of these are very expensive high performance exotic cars. As well as the regular generation of vehicles at that time that had similar fuel systems - think Mercedes, Audi, porsche etc.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:26pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a 2005 v6 3.5lt holden designed to run on bio fuel,yeah right,running 95 got 8lts per 100km open rd,gull bio 98 13 lts per 100km open rd,no power,couldnt tow..

This is going to be a major problem,1st link is about the damage to diesel motors/filters etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:59pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Biofuels are expensive so at the moment only low levels are used, higher levels are used in some overseas countries. Ethanol is used as a octane booster. Don’t use it in older carbureted engines but the 10% seams ok in later model injected motors.

Only Gull sells an ethanol blend - only in their 98 octane (a 10% blend, called Gull Force 10). They also sell an 85% blend for motorsport at 6 locations (Gull Force Pro).

This is off the Merc website ;

QUESTION:
Will the use of fuels containing ethanol void my engine warranty?

ANSWER:
Fuels containing up to 10 percent ethanol are considered acceptable for use in Mercury engines. Fuels containing higher levels of ethanol are not considered acceptable for use, and the use of fuels containing ethanol higher than 10 percent can void the warranty.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 9:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Only Gull sells an ethanol blend - only in their 98 octane (a 10% blend, called Gull Force 10). They also sell an 85% blend for motorsport at 6 locations (Gull Force Pro)."

And I avoid Gull and only buy BP 98.
To save my engines.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 3:54am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.transport.govt.nz/area-of-interest/environment-and-climate-change/biofuels/

Our local Merc dealer have asked him on several occasions about biofuel.Same answer each time,To be avoided at all costs.