Manukau harbour search

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manukau harbour search
    Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 9:21pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Search going on now, went to the wharf at Waiau pa to see if we could launch and help but the coastguard guys said stand down, quite a helpless feeling. Hovercraft and helicopters out there just off clarks beach. Hoping
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 11:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:57am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The family live two houses down from me. Coastguard often keep others out of the search. If they get too many people involved it can be chaotic and they don't want others taking risks. Hard to understand at first but it is how it needs to be sometimes.. At least you offered Tonto.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 1:48pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah we totally understood, they had it under control. Thank god that Coastguard is there for us. Condolences to family and friends
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 9:53am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge, any updates on size/type of boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 11:26am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've seen the boat but not sure. Probably a Haines about 6m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 12:03pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So its not a dinghy then and a rather capable boat that I wouldn't expect to capsize. I wonder what happened to cause it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 12:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 3:46pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Sounds like they were crossing the bar according to the news media.

Not the case at all.  Given that they are still searching for a 10 year old child perhaps we could stay away from speculation about what may or may not have happened.  There will undoubtably be an inquiry as it is a fatality, let's wait until there are actual facts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 4:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Kevin is right. No, they weren't crossing the bar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 5:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apologies, that was the impression one of the news articles gave. Agree, one shouldn't speculate. I've deleted my post. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 8:15pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes I think that is ok and fully support any rahui which is put in place . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 6:02pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am considering fishing around the Cornwallis area tomorrow but can't find any more details on the extent of the area covered by this Rahui. More than happy to respect but would help to know details
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:09pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The locals are forming a ground and sea search tomorrow in the hope of finding the young boy and returning him to the family. I am unsure as to how far and wide the search is concentrating on. I suspect it will closer to Clarks Beach but who knows where the tides may have taken him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From Clarks Beach Grapevine.                      V
                                             Senior Lifeguards from Kariaotahi’s Search & Rescue squad will be operating on the water at first light tomorrow morning assisting in the search of the missing boy. We will be searching low tide mark and harbour from Te Toro to Wattle Bay and areas of the bar.