Trolling for kingfish at low speed

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trolling for kingfish at low speed
    Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 11:32pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi, so every year around boxing day, my brother and I sail from the Weiti river to the bay of islands. We often catch a few snapper on the way for food. I would really like to try for a king this year. I have a suitable combo running 400m of 30lb J braid (which breaks closer to 50lb) which I have used to land a few nice kings on jigs and livies.

We often end up motoring because there is either not enough wind, or it is from the wrong direction. Speed when motoring is around 6 knots. What do you think would be the best lure to tow? Big Rapala? I have tried a savage eel on a 3/4oz jighead and got a couple of rat kings a few years ago.

We go past some pretty renowned kingfish spots on the way up so it has gotta be worth a nudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 4:46am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HaHa "Telecaster" yet to sail in up to BOI and back. its either beautiful running conditions or on the nose .Usually sail one and motor the other way. And no as far trolling for kings,been right along the shoreline past structures that should be holding with no success either.

When motoring at 5/6 knots.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 7:01am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You can't catch one if you don't have something in the water. A reasonable size Rapala would be a good start. Good Luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 4:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been trolling a Rapala X-Rap Magnum 40 in natural colours over the last few trips. Not a serious effort, but there has been a lure in the water. I'd love to catch a kingfish on one, but no luck so far. Wish we had more of an inshore pelagic fishery as per Aussie.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:11am
Reel Magic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have caught heaps of kingis on a Rapala x rap deep diver in sardine colour at 5 knots trolling speed.
www.reelmagic.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:27am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Magic Reel Magic wrote:

I have caught heaps of kingis on a Rapala x rap deep diver in sardine colour at 5 knots trolling speed.

That's cool. I'll keep trying. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 7:23pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting similar in the tropics. But 6knots, might have to try it in NZ. Be good to use nylon over the wire so a adjustment required 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 10:41am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd run a small zuker to target tuna as well as kingfish but why not run a rapala as well to cover surface and a bit deeper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:50pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are onto it Apex.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 2:33pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Kingies around Anchorite love cup faced game lures.  Towed a spread over it a few years back and all lures got smashed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 7:23am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That would have been hectic. What alot of fun. Did you land them all? Rat size school?  8 knots?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 9:42pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did the same as above trolling game lures over Lochland a couple of years back all 5 went off and we landed 3 of them. 6 knots is plenty fast enough and targeting them on skirted lures does work too. Also caught one in 80m off the old woman chasing marlin and others have too so leave the lures out the whole trip. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:38am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thinking this is the year I go for big game out of Whangarei, heard the old woman can fire and that is super close. What route do you go when trolling plastic. Sail rock? Poor knights ? Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:49pm
Bertiesdad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

caught plenty at 6-6.5 knots. If I had to choose one lure it would be nomad dtx minnow 165mm in black and pink or the hot pink mack.  The rapala mag x in the dark blue with bright orange belly a second choice. Both get jumped on over more natural colours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that. Had an interesting experience yesterday. Was in an area where I knew there were feeding kingfish, trolled the Rapala around with high hopes and nothing. That said, they were chasing, but not hitting stick baits either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 3:22pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only time I have caught a king trolling, was in clear water, sand bottom, 4 m, small white bone lure, about 6 knots, 120 cm fish..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am a keen lure troller mainly for marlin. I’ve been busted off by a dolphin sized king in jellicoe channel on 15kg between horn and broken islands on a CD18 rapala blue and silver.. probably 3rd of way across, was memorable. Caught decent kings on marlin lures when trolling near knights .. outside reserve of course.   Caught numerous smaller specimens on rapalas round maharangi.  Seen big fish crash a towed stick bait at Elisabeth reef and not hook up. But that’s where I’d say you want catch decent kings .. going fishing with lures is largely off  track statistically… my statistics anyway and not the best way by far!

The best way to catch them is very slow trolling a live kahawai, is so much more effective. And usually much bigger fish if use medium to larger bait. Been catching kings with slight obsession for years. Long jigs also very good in certain spots usually deeper… but livies best in gulf and shallower spots… work most times if decent king or kings are present. Randomly towing lure will likely be very unproductive.
Fish in photo year or so ago, on livey in among stickbaiters and those trolling. Easy as, and probably one of biggest caught in gulf that year. But we catch good one or two most times they are around. All about technique and targeting your fish. You’d be better to catch a kahawai or skippy and slowdown and putter round a while .. no telling what might grab it if towing north over summer from Whangarei heads north.
Want to borrow a rod?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 11:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If going to tow a lure on strong gear, tow something like this one.
Goes deep but puts lot of pressure on rod .. so can’t go too fast.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 10:30am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shenag great response there, I learnt something and keen to slow troll livies. Is your best speed about 2-3knots around structure? Productive also when hooking livie under birds ans through on hook and circle wider from commotion? Your best way to attach a livie?  Cheers mate

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 11:26am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep was going to ask same - about rigging. What method do you use?
Circle hook, bridle rig? How long a bridle?
Agree completely - live bait beats anything else hands down. For pretty much anything.
RD - towing speed - the fish will tell you. They only tow so fast without wrecking them. Slow. Idle speed basically. Or drift - depending which way you are heading.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>