Where to catch big eels in auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to catch big eels in auckland
    Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 4:59pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi guys, I would like to know if any of you have a place I can catch big eels(preferably 4 feet or more) in auckland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 5:38pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why? Catch and release or food 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 1:26pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep I have a few spots however please look into the legalities of catching short fin / long fin eels and how to determine the difference etc, are you taking them to eat? And how would you like to catch them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 3:59pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's no specific protection for longfin eels even though they are endangered. Bloody stupid! How New Zealand scores so well in international corruption league tables beggars belief.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:43pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would just like to catch another species and I would be doing catch and release, i will look into the laws around catching Longfin eels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:26pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are not hard to catch. They will even come out the water to take baits. I would strongly recommend circle hooks with the barbed crushed down or filed off to make release easier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 9:57pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not fun to catch just yank in and squash it as it strangles itself spinning which tightens line and makes removing hook a nightmare. Moved onto better things from 8 years old.

They have enough odds against them as it is in city streams 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 11:32pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A better way to do it. As you can see, no challenge from a sporting perspective.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 11:43pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

A better way to do it. As you can see, no challenge from a sporting perspective.

Nice MB Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:13am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I catch eels at my place with digger bucket.
Clean out back stream, and when emptying bucket all the eels fall out and slither away.
They always know which way to go to get back to the water.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 10:10am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would recommend using a piece of wool instead of a hook so you don't hurt them if releasing, their teeth hook backwards and get caught up in the wool real good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

As a kid I used bent nails, no barb. Eels really are the easiest fish to catch. A chunk of meat tied on a piece of string works a treat. No hooks, cut the line and let it swim away. Use a hand line. Let it swim away. Any unpolluted waterway, no matter how small will hold eels. Visit at night with a spotlight. You can grab them in your hands. Whatever you do, let them swim away. Magnificent creatures. Respect them. I've hand fed many longfin eels. Shortfin eels are more tolerant of polluted water. Let them swim away. A couple of other species you may well find up there in the estuary are snake eels and congers.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street