New to fishing in Whangarei and looking for advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BobbyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to fishing in Whangarei and looking for advice
    Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 11:38am
BobbyP View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi team

I'm new to fishing and I'm based in Whangarei. I'm looking for any advice on where to go either rock fishing or surf casting in the Whangarei/Northland area? I know it's not the done thing to ask people to tell you where Spot X is but any help for a newbie would be appreciated. I've been fishing off the rocks out at Reotahi a couple of times with no luck and I went out to Whananaki yesterday but I couldn't fish the point due to the swell, so no luck there either (despite the 40 minute drive out to Whananaki and then a 45 minute walk out to the point). 

I'm running an Okuma Sensor Tip 10ft 15kg 3 piece with an Okuma Coronado CDX 60 Baitfeeder and just looking to head out and have a go, so any advice would be appreciated. 

Cheers everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 1:49pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome. It'll start getting easier as the fish move in to the harbour. I don't do any serious land based fishing, so can't help with specifics I'm afraid. If you look at the local FB pages, there are plenty of fish being caught from the shore/rocks. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BobbyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 1:52pm
BobbyP View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Could you recommend any FB pages to check?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 2:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Northland Fishing
Bream Bay Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 7:07pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mate don't get caught fishing at Reotahi thats been a marine reserve for a few years now. Google Davies farm out on the Taiharuru coast they used ot allow people to go through thier farm for a $5 fee this is where I used to fish all the time at a place called flat rock that place used to get some good fish (straylining is the only way to fish there without losing gear on every cast), the Gap (taiharuru coast) is another popular spot for putting out live baits, Pataua north beach is good for surf casting along with Kauri Mountain, busby point is another great place to fish from there is a flat ledge there that you can fish from and you are casting out among the boats.

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 8:19pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Surf_fisher Surf_fisher wrote:

busby point is another great place to fish from there is a flat ledge there that you can fish from and you are casting out among the boats.
Thumbs UpThis time of year Busby point can really fire. Easy well made 2.2k track from Urquharts bay. 3 ways to walk there. Around past the gun turrets on the harbour side. Up over the saddle and down to smugglers bay then follow the track is my preferred way. Lastly follow the ride line. All these ways you get to the ridge line near the end drop down to the left. 
At the point you can fish rodholders or wander around to the left another 30m and there is a long flat ledge. I've not fished the most eastern cnr You can't get to it from this side. This is where folks chase the kingfish and I'm not sure exactly how to get there safely. 

Smugglers is also a great underrated spot. When you get to the beach hang a left and go along the rocks as far as you can. A gut will stop your travels back up a little till you find a large rock with a tilt slightly towards the sea. Casting off here is into a sandy area amongst the rocks. 2 hours each side of low as then you will get pushed back. Usual thing though fish the changes of light. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BobbyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:34am
BobbyP View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've heard of The Gap before and I will have to check it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BobbyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
BobbyP View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Smugglers is also a great underrated spot. When you get to the beach hang a left and go along the rocks as far as you can. A gut will stop your travels back up a little till you find a large rock with a tilt slightly towards the sea. Casting off here is into a sandy area amongst the rocks. 2 hours each side of low as then you will get pushed back. Usual thing though fish the changes of light. 

I will give that a go. I've just googled smugglers and I like the look of heading off to the left of the bay.