Stabi craft copy siezed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stabi craft copy siezed
    Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:43am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:19am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hate to think what its like. ali thickness and so on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

found a stabi response,show welds in bottom photos. Hmm seen worst on nephews boat.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 7:36pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That welding looks pretty bad, most of it’s sitting on top with very little penetration.

As for the fuel line going through a hole in the alloy with no grommets OMG!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 7:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

That welding looks pretty bad, most of it’s sitting on top with very little penetration.

As for the fuel line going through a hole in the alloy with no grommets OMG!
The gromet caught my too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 8:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting topic - I'm no expert in IP and patent law, but i presume it would be hard to copyright a pontoon craft globally or even locally (potentially only any particularly unique feature Stabi has designed). Hence the multitude of pontoon competitors in the NZ-built market.
Even if you have a copyright over a particular design feature, how do you enforce that within the economic juggernaut to our north? I'd say snowball's chance...

The more important issue I believe, and one which I'd like to be enlightened about from Forum members,relates to these importers being able to bring in and sell products for activities where safety standards are critical.
I have no idea about welding, but I'll assume you guys are right about the quality. 

I mean we're not talking about knock off football shirts, or fake superhero toys here. People will head out to sea on these boats.

I recently dismantled a NZ-sold trampoline (a well-meaning gift from the in-laws) which in my view turned out to be incredibly unsafe and not fit for purpose - important parts had completely rusted through in five years, the fibreglass tubing the safety net hangs off had split in several places, the safety pads were splitting apart and I could rip the stitching with my bare hands etc etc. How these are allowed to be sold in the market here is beyond me.

Surely these boats in question have to receive some kind of safety standard certification to be offered for sale? 
(edit) If not, it just seems nuts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Lester, many years ago now NZ had a Standards Institute and everything coming into the country (well legitimately) had to meet or exceed certain standards.  That place doesn't exist anymore, instead we rely on 'standards' & declarations from the importers that are often copied from more legitimate goods. There are no checks, there is no accountability.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:18pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After a bit of cost research.Stabi 1850 with all the bells and whistles ++ trailer 115hp/120 hp 4 stoke nochange out of of about 110k. the knock off seaking roughly 75k land cost of hull 25k you do do the add ons + trailer saving about 30k for simular vessel.

A few number of well known fibre glass boats are imported as hull n decks from china and assembled here,so many inside one another + decks to fill the container.